Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Captain Awesome
  • 1 Post By S2G

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2018, 10:26 PM

Default Do your Gray Tree Frogs call when you turn your mister on?

Hi everyone I had a very interesting situation just happen. It started at 78 in my room then i turned the AC down to 60 and then I turned on my Mistking and Fogger. My Gray Tree Frog was asleep and when the mister turned on and the water hit him he immediately woke up and climed on one of the tubes and began calling. Do your tree frogs call like this when you turn your mister on or did I successfully create a pressure drop?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 10:34 PM

Mine would call when it heard certain sounds that were similar to a grey treefrog call. Independent of pressure or rain.
AAronCap likes this.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Do your Gray Tree Frogs call when you turn your mister on?

I don't keep them but I have a bunch around my house. It's their breeding season. They usually congregate around water, but rain sets them off to. A rise in humidity is usually when they start.
Orbela likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to S2G For This Useful Post:
AAronCap (06-26-2018)

Old 06-26-2018, 10:47 PM

They have been in this setup now for about 10 days they have been calling when the conditions have been the same with no temperature Spike or humidity Spike that usually were sitting on top of the mistking nozzles so they never had any of the water hit them this was the first time that they got sprayed by the water only the one did and he woke up from a dead sleep to go up on top of one of the misters nozzles and he started calling like it was late at night again. He has been calling a lot he was actually on the ground calling numerous times this was the first time that he climbed to the top where he normally sits to sleep and he began calling. This was one thing that I wanted to accomplish in my large tank I have a 125 gallon and I wasn't sure if it was possible to create drastic enough pressure drops to possibly get them into the mood to mate to create an artificial mating season. So do you think that to call this a success I would need to wait until year 2 of owning them and the tree frog showing this behavior?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2G View Post
I don't keep them but I have a bunch around my house. It's their breeding season. They usually congregate around water, but rain sets them off to. A rise in humidity is usually when they start.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:44 AM

Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,792 Posts

The first possibility is that this is what is known as "evoked calling" which is in response to sound stimulus (natural or artificial) and that may include the sounds of the mister running.

The second possibility is that it is a "rain call" which may in fact have nothing to do with rain or barometric pressure. Grey treefrogs are known to engage in calling when the humidity is high even when they are not in reproductive condition.... The running of the misters could have produced sufficient humidity changes to trigger the calling.

Or it could be a combination of one and two....

some comments

Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed For This Useful Post:
AAronCap (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
The first possibility is that this is what is known as "evoked calling" which is in response to sound stimulus (natural or artificial) and that may include the sounds of the mister running.

The second possibility is that it is a "rain call" which may in fact have nothing to do with rain or barometric pressure. Grey treefrogs are known to engage in calling when the humidity is high even when they are not in reproductive condition.... The running of the misters could have produced sufficient humidity changes to trigger the calling.

Or it could be a combination of one and two....

some comments

Ed
This is very interesting because I have a video on YouTube of my frog calling when he heard noises of the woods that were playing from speakers above the tank at night to simulate the woods and birds chirping to simulate day. He came to the ground to call for days and the mister ran during this time and he was sleeping on it but did not react to how he did today. He normally just slept through the misting cycle but today he was sleeping in a plant and when the water hit him he just perked up and went to the top.

So I believe you the night time noises must have made him call when he was on the ground and your second possible reason of the drastic increase in humidity and him actually getting hit by the sprayer must have done it. The Mistking is too quiet to provoke him because he's slept on it almost every day he's been in the enclosure.

It is their breeding season right now in PA so that's also a part as to why they are probably more eager to be calling in the enclosure. Is it possible that you can create an artificial pressure drop to induce breeding if they did not hibernate? I am planning on hibernating my tree frogs to allow them to rest in possibly reproduce if they do in my tank but I was just wondering if that were possible?