Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By carola1155
  • 1 Post By carola1155
  • 3 Post By Bfrog
  • 1 Post By carola1155

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 10:09 PM

Default Glass frog

Hit me with all your glass frog info. I have the green striped species.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Glass frog

I saw in a documentary that they have spots on them to replicate the look of an egg clutch, and that the dads can hatch on command if their in danger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 AM

I saw that too! Itís awesome. But to be more specific Iím looking for info on breeding age and if a 36x18x36 is too big of an enclosure for baby glass frogs.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:25 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austindg13 View Post
Hit me with all your glass frog info. I have the green striped species.
Where did you get your frogs? I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware the
"Green-Striped Glass Frog" (Hyalinobatrachium talamancae) is not in the hobby.
Bfrog likes this.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 PM

You'll need to be more specific about species and source/age information would be useful as well. Maybe post a picture of your froglets and we can help identify them and their specific needs.

There isn't a green striped species available to my knowledge. Everyone working with glassfrogs is also well aware of the species they're working with and most have gone through great lengths to get them up to this point.

The only true glass frog species available right now are Hyalinobatrachium valerioi (UE), fleischmanni (through a few sources from a recent wc import), and aureoguttatum (wikiri). I have the first two and the third species on the way. There are a few species of Chocranella, specifically granulosa, being bread at various universities and zoos but to my knowledge, none are available. I was able to work a bit with the granulosa when my university had them more than 10 years ago.

There is also a species, Hyla punctata, that best matches your description and is being sold cheap by several companies like backwater reptiles that isn't really a true glass frog species, but is marketed as one.

Post a pic or species and we can help.

Most glass frogs tend to be sexually mature
Old 01-15-2018, 06:42 PM

didn't finish that last part of my post but it doesn't matter until we know your species.... to finish the sentence "in about a year".
Old 01-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrog View Post
Everyone working with glassfrogs is also well aware of the species they're working with and most have gone through great lengths to get them up to this point.
With the recent Nicaraguan imports, I would disagree with that statement.

Quote:
The only true glass frog species available right now are Hyalinobatrachium valerioi (UE), fleischmanni (through a few sources from a recent wc import), and aureoguttatum (wikiri).
Not entirely accurate. There is also Sachatamia albomaculata from WIKIRI. Also, at this point you could basically argue any glass frog in Nicaragua is probably in the hobby in some form. Small numbers of other species have gotten brought in with the massive amount of $20 fleischmanni that are coming in. In most cases the importers are probably just getting "Centrolenid spp" and trying to figure it out on the back end. I've already seen frogs that were mislabeled and even frogs sold (flipped) with paperwork that is "coming soon".

Quote:
There is also a species, Hyla punctata, that best matches your description and is being sold cheap by several companies like backwater reptiles that isn't really a true glass frog species, but is marketed as one.
Agreed.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:21 PM

Good point on the Nicaraguan imports.

That's the only exception to my statement above that I'm aware of, but I was unaware that so many other Centrolenid spp were brought in with them. It's a fairly recent development that seemed to cause quite the ripple effect.

Has wikiri started filling orders for the albomaculata? I wasn't aware those were really out yet. With the rising popularity of glass frogs and lack of CITES protections on them, I'm curious what other forms we'll have soon as well. I'm a bit torn on it honestly.

With the similarity of fleischmanni and talamancae I could see that as an easy mistake through those imports and so likely to be the case.

Any any case, to the OP, we'd need to know the species of glassfrog to really be of much help.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Mod

Quote:
Has wikiri started filling orders for the albomaculata? I wasn't aware those were really out yet.
A couple people in the US have them now and more will be coming in March.

Quote:
With the rising popularity of glass frogs and lack of CITES protections on them, I'm curious what other forms we'll have soon as well. I'm a bit torn on it honestly.
You could probably make the case that more glass frogs have died in the last 6-12 months as a result of being imported than what the total captive population tally was in the US about 2 years ago. These imports are the exact opposite of what needed to happen and the frogs are the ones suffering for it. Very little is known about a lot of these species and the flippers in the middle are giving out some incredibly bad advice, since they too don't know much about them either. It's honestly been a real eye-opener on the entire import world for me, and pretty upsetting to see how many people just chalk up the losses as "part of importing".

I'm going to continue to spend my money with UE, Wikiri, and hopefully Tesoros. WC glass frogs imported en-masse (like the recent imports) have not and will not get my support.

Quote:
With the similarity of fleischmanni and talamancae I could see that as an easy mistake through those imports and so likely to be the case.
Sorry- I didn't mean to imply that talamancae was part of any of my other comments. I've literally never seen them mentioned, let alone imported. The mislabeled stuff was other species.

Quote:
Any any case, to the OP, we'd need to know the species of glassfrog to really be of much help.
Yes, sorry to derail so much... Species or some information on where you got it would help.
Dane likes this.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:38 AM

Got them from the store and they didnít know what species they were.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8EA4BFD5-4BD2-4D97-B2B3-BA24B5B7A672_1516081055657.jpg (6.0 KB, 98 views)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:13 AM

Better pictures of top and bottom of the frogs I have.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Mod

The pictures are a little small, but those look to be H. fleischmanni. If you bought them from a pet store or something similar, that further supports that theory. They are wild caught, so I would perform some kind of quarantine on them in a decently planted enclosure.

Their final enclosure doesn't have to be anything massive. The very first valerioi bred in the US were done so in a 20H vert. The major producer of that species in the US is currently using a 24x18x24 Exo Terra. A small pond dug out of one of the corners is useful, but it doesn't need to be deep (2-3 inches is fine). In the wild, they breed near streams so moving water is useful but not necessary to stimulate breeding. If you opt out of moving water, a misting system is something that you want to have.

Plant the tank fairly densely with broad-leafed plants (Philodendron, Anthurium, Spathiphyllum, Costus) as they will use these as a sleeping site and also make sure some of these broad-leafed species overhang the water source.

Temps and lighting schedule can be done similar to darts. Set your misting so that at least one of the sprays occurs at night. I feed mine primarily hydei flies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spaff For This Useful Post:
Ruskii_Nomad (10-21-2019)
Old 01-16-2018, 03:22 PM

I need a higher res photo but looks like one that came in on the recent fleischmanni import... and my guess is Hyalinobatrachium fleischmanni...but it's impossible to ID a species off those photos.

Here's what my fleischmanni look like:

Important Note: there was chytrid detected amongst some of the imports so being unsure which one they're from, I'd try to use good quarantine practices for at least 90 days.... mostly just separate any aspect of their care from other frogs/tanks and wear gloves or wash your hands with soap before and after work on the tank.

Habitat setup:
- they need a minimum of a 20 gallon vertical for a group of 4 and they'll use every bit of space.
- it's my understanding that they require a planted vivarium to live immediately upon arrival.
- They need an abundance of plants with larger leaves such as philodendron species, preferably overhang water.
- some running water is preferred so a paludarium setup is ideal.

I did a basic 20 gallon conversion with a kitty litter background (unscented, no additives), with plant clippings from other plants/vivariums that I knew were clean. I bleach plants before adding them into a new tank as well. I pressed the clippings into the clay and then planted the foreground... took about an hour to make this quarantine setup and very little cost since I already had the plant clippings and didn't have to buy them.

I used a $5 aquarium filter for the water feature, with the outflow pointed upward to provide aeration and the sound of moving water.

Lighting/Temp:
I use 6500k LEDs and keep the frogs at room temp... between 67 and 72 degrees F.

Food:
I feed 100% drosopholid flies... specifically hydei. I make sure there are almost always some in the tank and then dust just like I do for dart frogs using Repashy Calcium Plus and occasional vitamin A.

Handling:
This species is very prone to stress and seems to just die when stressed out or from environmental changes so if I need to inspect a frog (look for an egged female, etc) I use test tubes. They hop right in and I set the tube back into the tank when I'm done.... half the time they stay asleep in the tube, half the time they eagerly hop out onto a leaf. I avoid any kind of handling otherwise.

Sexing and Reproduction:
Since these were a wild caught import, the vast majority of them are sexually mature males and will call at night. The females will have visible eggs when sexually mature and ovulating. Most frogs reach maturity at 1 year. Eggs take a couple of weeks to hatch and are not constantly guarded by the male like valerioi. Tadpoles take a few months to a year (10 month average) to morph out.

Here is a picture of one of my egged valerioi females just to give a visual:

The eggs are the green spheres in the lower portion of the abdomen.

I hope this helps.

Boyd
Dane, Encyclia and Austindg13 like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bfrog For This Useful Post:
Ruskii_Nomad (10-21-2019), Veneer (01-28-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 PM

Awesome thanks for all the info. I have them set up in a bioactive vivarium with plenty of broms and other plants, they have a misting system and have a pond section with a filter to simulate moving water. Iím not sure why the pictures didnít turn out. I took them in an iPhone X and uploaded them on my phone too. Iíve heard this species is small, but can you somewhat tell the age of mine form the pictures?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:28 PM

My valerioi seem to utilize the bromeliads for shelter and dips in fresh water, but that isn't the norm. Most glass frogs will not utilize them at all, and will prefer thick planting of large, leafy plants like philodendron spp.

Bioactive is great to an extent, but seriously watch for chytrid with this import and make sure you test your group around the end of the 90 day quarantine period to make sure they're clear. (I'm sure there are multiple opinions on when to test and more often is better..) The reason I say quarantine and test at the end is because Bd can take a while to show up and it's normal to get false negatives initially and then a positive test later. False positives also happen but I think are less common. With the understanding that testing can be expensive, for most of us it is more practical to quarantine first and wait to test around 90 days to make sure they are still clean (unless symptoms show up of course)

There's no way I can tell the age, but they seem to be adult size for sure. If they're calling, they're males and mature. If they're not calling but you don't see eggs, they're probably still males and less mature... or just not calling. If you see eggs develop then it's a mature female (way less common with imports)

I'd love to see a pic of your setup! I've found posting somewhere like facebook (my page is public and the images are public) I can link larger here. A lot of the hosting sites seem to be blocking pictures from being shared on other sites these days.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:58 PM
Mod

It was written 10 years ago at this point... but Brian Kubicki's Reptiles Magazine article is still probably the best intro to glass frogs you'll find.

Glass Frog Care And Information

The crew at ABG made a caresheet a while back too. Most of the information is still valid.

http://www.amphibianark.org/pdf/Husb...ntrolenids.pdf
Bfrog likes this.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronfarris627 View Post
I saw in a documentary that they have spots on them to replicate the look of an egg clutch, and that the dads can hatch on command if their in danger

*eggs, apologies

Old 01-19-2018, 06:53 PM

Awesome thanks for all the info I was having trouble finding a lot of it. But one last question, do you think theyíll have trouble finding food in a 36x18x36?
Old 01-27-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I need a higher res photo but looks like one that came in on the recent fleischmanni import... and my guess is Hyalinobatrachium fleischmanni...but it's impossible to ID a species off those photos.

Here's what my fleischmanni look like:

Important Note: there was chytrid detected amongst some of the imports so being unsure which one they're from, I'd try to use good quarantine practices for at least 90 days.... mostly just separate any aspect of their care from other frogs/tanks and wear gloves or wash your hands with soap before and after work on the tank.

Habitat setup:

- they need a minimum of a 20 gallon vertical for a group of 4 and they'll use every bit of space.

- it's my understanding that they require a planted vivarium to live immediately upon arrival.

- They need an abundance of plants with larger leaves such as philodendron species, preferably overhang water.

- some running water is preferred so a paludarium setup is ideal.

I did a basic 20 gallon conversion with a kitty litter background (unscented, no additives), with plant clippings from other plants/vivariums that I knew were clean. I bleach plants before adding them into a new tank as well. I pressed the clippings into the clay and then planted the foreground... took about an hour to make this quarantine setup and very little cost since I already had the plant clippings and didn't have to buy them.

I used a $5 aquarium filter for the water feature, with the outflow pointed upward to provide aeration and the sound of moving water.

Lighting/Temp:

I use 6500k LEDs and keep the frogs at room temp... between 67 and 72 degrees F.

Food:

I feed 100% drosopholid flies... specifically hydei. I make sure there are almost always some in the tank and then dust just like I do for dart frogs using Repashy Calcium Plus and occasional vitamin A.

Handling:

This species is very prone to stress and seems to just die when stressed out or from environmental changes so if I need to inspect a frog (look for an egged female, etc) I use test tubes. They hop right in and I set the tube back into the tank when I'm done.... half the time they stay asleep in the tube, half the time they eagerly hop out onto a leaf. I avoid any kind of handling otherwise.

Sexing and Reproduction:

Since these were a wild caught import, the vast majority of them are sexually mature males and will call at night. The females will have visible eggs when sexually mature and ovulating. Most frogs reach maturity at 1 year. Eggs take a couple of weeks to hatch and are not constantly guarded by the male like valerioi. Tadpoles take a few months to a year (10 month average) to morph out.

Here is a picture of one of my egged valerioi females just to give a visual:

The eggs are the green spheres in the lower portion of the abdomen.

I hope this helps.

Boyd

What do you keep your humidity at?

Old 01-27-2018, 10:25 PM

not sure exactly what it is, but I treat it like my dart frog tanks but with a bit more ventilation... I mist 2x day, have a clay background that stays moist, and just enough airflow for the leaves to dry in the light, but stay moist in the shade. There is typically condensation on some of the glass, especially around the corners of the tank. Hope this helps...
Old 01-29-2018, 08:29 PM
TWI/ASN

Most of the glass frog species do well with nearly 85-90% without issue. We currently keep groups of valerioi, pulverata and fleishchmanni. One of the key points is ultra clean water..

A good number of people buying the fresh imports tossed them directly in Viv's without allowing a true Q.T process, most perished within weeks. Q.T should be at least 60 days period. Once they have established and made it through that period they are very hardy and not as fragile and most think.

One of the fastest ways to put weight on an import is 2 week old crickets, once you get through a few weeks you can start to add Hydei and ultimately keep the diet at that.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:32 PM
TWI/ASN

First picture is one of our pulverata and the second is a fleischmanni.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180122_180626.jpg (114.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg fleischmanni_n.jpg (66.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:56 AM

Are these guys too small to keep in a 36inx18x36? Noticed they got pretty skinny. I put fruit flies in every night but not sure how much they ate eating. Iíve had them for about a month now. Moved them into a smaller enclosure to get them fat again.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:29 PM

What kind of ffs are you feeding them?

They seem to do well on hydei but seem to get skinny on melanogaster. Supplementation is also important but I wonder how well the wc frogs are adjusting to supplements. It's best to keep them well stocked on food between feedings so feeding extra works well.

If you're feeding heavily with hydei and proper supplementation you may want to do a fecal for any skinny ones. Hope this helps