Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Groundhog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2016, 10:00 PM

Default How to reintegrate quarantined treefrogs?

Have had pacific treefrogs in hospital tanks for several months and would like to let them return to their home tanks. How can I make sure it is safe to do so? One, Annie, is 18 years old and very lonely. One, Blob, is 2 yrs old and hides a lot. Both seem well. There are three other females who were treated for parasites and prolapse who I am going to continue to quarantine for a while longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2016, 12:39 PM

Default Re: How to reintegrate quarantined treefrogs?

Would really like to return the two frogs to their home tanks. Should I do anything special before reintroducing them? Do not want to endanger the other frogs but the poor things have been separate for a really long time and Pacifics in particular are social frogs. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:30 PM

Still hoping someone can comment on this. Feel sad Annie can't get back to her seven 18 yr old friends.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:18 AM

Nobody ever answered so I just put Annie back tonight with her 18 year old friends. She is soaking and looking like she can't believe it yet. They are sitting with her one at a time nearby. She is a little thin and has been seeming sad. Hopefully she will be happier now.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:38 AM

Lemme get this straight: You have quarantined some frogs for a while, which are now feeding well with good weight, correct? If so, why do you think you need to do anything special before reintroduction?

Also: You are aware that it is common to introduce new frogs after a 60 to 90 day quarantine period?

Also, can we see pictures of the vivarium?
Ed and boabab95 like this.
1.0 Cuora trifasciata
The Following User Says Thank You to Groundhog For This Useful Post:
cwebster (10-16-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 04:26 AM

They are in an aquarium, not vivarium. There are nine 18 yr old Pacifics. Since I reintroduced Annie she has been getting the same reddening on her underside and back leg undersides that made me remove her six months ago but nobody else has that! I put cipro on her to see if that helps but I may need to take her out again. Will ask my friend to take photos so I can post them.
The frogs were quarantined due to disease symptoms.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:48 PM

Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,792 Posts

The only time to worry with treefrogs is adding additional males to an established calling group as many of them have some level of territorial aggression over calling sites.

some comments

Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed For This Useful Post:
cwebster (10-16-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 08:27 PM

Annie seems better today, hardly up any underside reddening and getting around more.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:34 AM

Have never seen pacific males act territorial but then they don't show all their usual behaviors in captivity. They usually breed in vernal ponds. Where I live it hasn't rained much the past few years. When I had a half land half water 80 gallon tank, they laid eggs and tadpoles developed. Now they call but don't show amplexus or lay eggs in the water dishes. Of course nine of them are 18 yrs old. Annie seems to be readjusting to being back with her friends. She is so old I hated to deprive her of company. Pacifics are extremely social. I used to take photos of how they would sleep in hiding places at the ranch house I lived in. They would gather together at night outside in little groups on decorations on the wall, in trash cans, behind a pellet dispenser, on a ledge in my animal shed, etc. inside the little ranch house, they would sit in a small pond on my kitchen table, sit together on shelves, and hide in places together like an opening along the refrigerator door or above the window ledge in the bathroom. They used to hop around the kitchen, living room, and bathroom. That was my introduction to learning about frogs, and Pacifics, who are very friendly. All around at night, there were vernal ponds outside and the calling was deafening, before the drought. They were probably territorial in large quantities while the pond parties were in progress. The males would go to the ponds first and later the females would join them a few weeks later. They were awesome.

Last edited by cwebster; 10-16-2016 at 05:44 AM.