Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Tree frogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 07:43 PM

Default Debating between frogs

OK, so I'm replanting my old 10 gallon and contemplating what to put in it.

I am considering Milk Frogs, Red Eyes, or Auratas.

I'd do a single frog, except with Auratas, where I may do a trio or pair. Previously it housed my Azureus, until they got upgraded into an Exo Terra 18x18x18.

I know a more vertical habitat is preferable, especially for the RETF, but since no tank is comparable to the wild, I think as long as there are several branches, it should be fine.

I also know a 10 is small and these guys would likely upgrade like my others eventually. The 10 generally serves as my baby tank.

The planting will start this weekend, so it'll be several weeks before frogs are added anyway, but I wanted any and all recommendationsorts in the mean time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Debating between frogs

From my personal experience, go with the Milk Frog. I've had both and would get Milks again way before RETF's. The milk I owned before was always awake during the day and by far the most active tree frog I've ever had. (RETF's, milks, Green, Grey, Giant Haitian)

I owned two RETF's and BOTH of them ended up getting prolapsed bowels that wouldn't retreat. And no, they weren't being fed improper food. Red Eyes are gorgeous but I personally think the Milk Frogs are just as pretty and an all around better frog.

Just my .02
Old 06-15-2016, 09:22 PM

Have you considered getting vittatus? They were my first frogs and I love them. They would use the space, and mine are half arboreal, jumping all over the tank. Once they get used to their habitat, they are also pretty bold.
my $0.02

Old 06-20-2016, 09:11 PM

I haven't thought about vittatus, no. If I go with other dart frogs, I am leaning toward auratas, but chances are, if I go the dart frog route, it will be whoever catches my eye at the reptile show in August.

I'd love to put another in with my azureus, but she stressed out her last room-mate. They both ended up being females and I didn't know at the time that girls did not get along in that species. It seemed to me they were both eating and all was fine...until it wasn't. So now Claudia has a tank to herself and is quite happy.

Part of me thinks I should move her back to the 10 since she's solo now and then use the 18x18x18 for some new frogs, so I could do a pair or trio with a bit more room. Auratas are more communal in my understanding, so I would hope for not a repeat of Claudia and Henrietta's ordeal.

Would an 18x18x18 be enough room for 2 Milk Frogs?