Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2015, 12:22 AM

Default RETF Prolapsed Bowel

Hi-

I've completed a bunch of reading on the topic only to find the answers contradicting at times.

I have a young RETF with a prolapsed bowel. This is the first time I have ever seen something like it, and I feel I did not react fast enough.

Anyway, tonight, I am soaking him (it...?) in 1 tbsp sugar to 1 cup of warmish water. He's been in there for about 15 mins.

How long should I soak him in total, and what if there is no affect? The bowels are still pink, but in pics I've seen, I think his is twice the size of an initial issue.

I am not sure on the cause. I have been feeding medium sized crickets, and perhaps this is too large for the frog. The frog is about 1-1/2" long.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated from someone with experience with RETFs.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2015, 01:00 AM

Default Re: RETF Prolapsed Bowel

I had an AGTF with a prolapsed bowel, and I placed him in quarantine with a large bowl and the same parameters for the sugar water. I didn't "force" him into the water, but rather left him in the tank over night and observed him soaking himself in the bowl. This was about 6 months ago and he's alive and kicking, so it certainly worked, I was pretty scared for him. I hope this helped and that you have the same results.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:52 PM

Thanks Jarteta.

I'm hoping for a few more responses.... :}

So, this morning - the prolapse is about 25% of the size it was, so progress. It was almost 1 square cm big, now it's about 4 mm square.

Should I soak the frog again in another batch of fresh sugar water? Should I do it right away, or let him sleep the day and soak him in the early evening?

TIA...

Old 11-17-2015, 07:53 PM

I would leave him in a quarantine tank with the water bowl present like I did. Forcing him into a bowl would likely cause stress and exacerbate things

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2015, 08:09 PM

Yes, I wound up leaving him alone for the day, and in the early evening, moved him back into some sugar water with just his back end in the water. He soaked for a 1/2 hour, then came out on his own.

This morning; the prolapse was not apparent any more. Very happy about that.

My next step is to leave him be, not feeding him for about 5-7 days; to let him finish healing. Get him eating some worms initially.

I'm not entirely sure what caused the issue. He's bigger than my ATF's (Hyla chrysocelis) and they are taking medium sized crickets. I have sphagnum moss on the floor, covered with leaves. Maybe he got under one of the leaves hunting for dinner and got some moss too.

Thx.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Mod

Glad he is doing a little bit better. As for getting more responses, I would say that you are asking about an animal that fewer people on this board have expertise with. Your request for help involved a pretty high-stakes subject, too. I would say that you don't want a bunch of people chiming in that are guessing (as I would be). Be happy that someone with just the kind of experience you were looking for was willing to stick their neck out and give you some advice.

Hope he continues to improve!

Mark
Old 11-17-2015, 08:27 PM

Hi Mark-

Yep; I do understand. To find enough information; I found bits and pieces in about 50 different articles and posts from various forums.

When a problem is active; it's hard not to be patient for more answers or the outcome.

You just never know who may have experienced this and what they might share. :}

Thx!
Old 11-17-2015, 10:11 PM

Prolapses have become rare since people started using UVB with RETFs, the most common cause being related to calcium deficiency. They need around 5% UVB and calcium/vitamin supplements when feeding a restricted diet.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:12 PM

Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for the info. Many sources I've consulted indicated that UVB isnt necessary.

Thx!

In looking at a bunch of RETF vivs, I've been thinking about changing it anyway.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver View Post
Prolapses have become rare since people started using UVB with RETFs, the most common cause being related to calcium deficiency. They need around 5% UVB and calcium/vitamin supplements when feeding a restricted diet.
I wonder if increased calcium absorbance is helping build stronger connective tissue. I know in mammals that is the major cause of prolapse is lack of proper nutrition to build connective tissue.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:38 PM

I went through this with my red eyes. I haven't had a prolapse in a long time and I owe a lot of my success to a more regimented feeding process. I used to release crickets into their enclosure and let them hunt them until they were gone( they'd disappear every four days or so). These days I hand feed them one at a time every other day. Making sure that when they lunge they don't take in any debris. The idea is to keep the bowels moving and clear of non food items, of course supplementation has to be maintained as well.