No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xIslanderx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2014, 07:38 PM

Default RETFs In 50 Tall

Hey Dendroboard,

This is my first time posting but I have been lurking doing some research on RETFs before I make the leap into buying some. So yesterday I went out and picked up a 50 gallon tall aquarium because I know RETFs prefer taller tanks. I set it up with a big piece of driftwood I had laying around and put in some easy plants, just pothos and some arrow plant at the moment. I didn't want to get any harder to care for plants because this is my first Viv and didn't want to risk killing them. My question is how many RETFs can I put in this tank comfortably because the last thing I want to do is overstock it.

Feel free to comment.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20141022_001.jpg (87.7 KB, 122 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 PM

Default Re: RETFs In 50 Tall

Hey there DarkSeas,
Keeping in mind that these frogs are arboreal, you will want to see if you can move some of that pothos up and over the wood branches. I would be willing to bet that aside from sleeping on the glass walls (as mine often do) you will see them stick to a leaf of that pothos if its hung high up in your tank.
Also, maybe you already verified this but... is that wood pesticide/herbicide free? Also, baking the wood in the oven can rid your tank of some nasties that may accompany it. If you have the ability... I would throw in some more plants. These guys are VERY active at night, and if you give them some structure you will see them lurking around for food.
Just my thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSeas View Post
Hey Dendroboard,

This is my first time posting but I have been lurking doing some research on RETFs before I make the leap into buying some. So yesterday I went out and picked up a 50 gallon tall aquarium because I know RETFs prefer taller tanks. I set it up with a big piece of driftwood I had laying around and put in some easy plants, just pothos and some arrow plant at the moment. I didn't want to get any harder to care for plants because this is my first Viv and didn't want to risk killing them. My question is how many RETFs can I put in this tank comfortably because the last thing I want to do is overstock it.

Feel free to comment.

Thanks
Heatheranne likes this.
Friggy_frogger (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 09:36 PM

xIslanderx

The branch in the tank is pesticide and herbicide free. I did make it and soak it in boiling water also just to be safe. The pothos are cuttings so they are not that big yet, but I do plan on meeting the tank full in before I get the frogs.

Right now I am on the fence between retfs and Amazon milk frogs but I am not sure which yet. Milk frogs seem to be more personable and I enjoy that about them.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 PM

Good to hear about the branch.
I don't have experience with milk frogs, but I believe you would be fine with 3 or so in that tank. What kind of lighting to you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSeas View Post
xIslanderx

The branch in the tank is pesticide and herbicide free. I did make it and soak it in boiling water also just to be safe. The pothos are cuttings so they are not that big yet, but I do plan on meeting the tank full in before I get the frogs.

Right now I am on the fence between retfs and Amazon milk frogs but I am not sure which yet. Milk frogs seem to be more personable and I enjoy that about them.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:40 PM

Islander,
I am using a ZooMed dual t5 ho fixture. So a trio of red eyed tree frogs would work best then. Should I buy them as babys or juveniles? Will babys be okay in that large of a tank or would they do better if I start them in a smaller tank and then move them up to the large tank once they are big enough?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 AM

I have 5 in an exo terra terrarium that is roughly that size. I wouldn't go more than 6. They are better in groups and to be bought as adults, the babies can be fragile and die easily. They stress easily but once settled in can be more personable. All of mine hand feed from me and are pretty brave at night when they are awake. They are terrified if they are disturbed during the day though.

Milk frogs are more laid back and don't really get stressed. They are pretty much the same personality as a whites tree frog, but I find they don't have as much character as a whites. They can be jumpy at first but will get used to handling, red eyes I don't bother they absolutely hate it.
Red eyes are prettier though and are more fun to watch and the noises the males make are funny to hear every night. They are not loud enough either to bother you.
Milk frogs however have the most annoying call, its loud and repetitive and they don't stop sometimes, you can't have them in your bedroom.
If you go with milks I would say 4 is enough for a tank that size.