No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thumbnail
  • 1 Post By Groundhog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014, 04:00 AM

Default Frogs in greenhouse?

I have a fairly large indoor greenhouse that houses my panther chameleon.
I was wondering if there were any good frog candidates endemic to madagascar to put in a greenhouse.

It has to get fairly large so no darts or mantellas.

I got alot of nephentes in there so there would be water sources available. Would be nice for some egg carriers too.

I also have an automated misting system and a fogger to keep humidity up.
I'll have to check the % troughout the day but I can pretty much double the misting and fogger if the humidity gets too low.

I'm looking for some kind of cheap tree frog or toad. Ideally active by day but it might come into conflict with the panther chameleon so I really don't know.

what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Frogs in greenhouse?

what is your temps at the coldest time of the year? A buddy of mine has a attached greenhouse, but it stays warm enough for geckos and other tropical critters and plants. He has pothos with leaves bigger then my head and enough creeping fig to fill more tanks then I could ever fathom to own. Seeing as you have panthers in there you would have to keep an eye on them if they are free roaming with the frogs also. They may not eat them, but if a tree frog were sitting still and a large males claw were to grip it thinking it was a branch it would leave alot of damage.
Groundhog likes this.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:05 AM

Let's get busy:

1) I do not keep chameleons, but it is my understanding that big species will eat smaller vertebrates ( I have seen footage of bigger ones crunching day geckos and small birds). I would consult someone on this. Now, I have raised several old world agamines as well as Corytophanes, and have easily trained these guys not to eat small vertebrates. Bearded dragons are among the most difficult; in my limited experience, girls are more "polite" than boys (or maybe, they just have smaller heads, exploit slightly different niches, blah, blah...) But I have kept all three water dragon species and tiliqua free-roaming with large tree frogs and it does work. The late Bert Langerwerf commented on how his Aussie water dragons would not attack small herps that entered their enclosures. Well fed lizards are pretty mellow. (So is Taz on my shoulder--well, until he sees one my budgies...) But, I simply don't know if this can work with large chameleons.

2) "Active during the day"--dude, no #@*#! way. If anything, you want a frog that comes out when the lizards are asleep. I have been keeping lizards with tree frogs for almost 30 years, and I can tell you, this easiest way is when they do not compete. Must also mention: I have no idea how chameleons deal with frog toxins--do you?

3) Have kept the free-roaming frogs, with water basins at the base of large potted plants (or small trees). I find the easiest to be the bigger Litoria species and Polypedates dennysii, all which will sleep on the leaves of broad-leaved plants, or palm fronds. Have heard it can also work for larger Phyllomedusa and Pachymedusa (or Agalychnis) dachnicolor. What I can attest to with Litoria caerula, L. infrafrenata and Polypedates is that all should become and will accept food from your hand (although the L. infrafrenata can be flighty at first).

As for species native to Madagascar, I would think there are a couple of larger Boophis species, but these usually are not cheap (although some can run $30-$40). Alas, I have no experience with any Madagascar frogs.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRoMiS View Post
I have a fairly large indoor greenhouse that houses my panther chameleon.
I was wondering if there were any good frog candidates endemic to madagascar to put in a greenhouse.

It has to get fairly large so no darts or mantellas.

I got alot of nephentes in there so there would be water sources available. Would be nice for some egg carriers too.

I also have an automated misting system and a fogger to keep humidity up.
I'll have to check the % troughout the day but I can pretty much double the misting and fogger if the humidity gets too low.

I'm looking for some kind of cheap tree frog or toad. Ideally active by day but it might come into conflict with the panther chameleon so I really don't know.

what do you guys think?
thumbnail likes this.
1.0 Cuora trifasciata

Old 10-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Also, a large terrestrial frog may work, as these won't really compete with arboreal lizards. Can we see pics of this setup?
1.0 Cuora trifasciata