Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OrangeTyrant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 09:06 AM

Question Cinnamon tree frog -Nyctixalus pictus

I've created a 48'' tall glass cabinet with a roughly 15''x15'' footprint. I planed on creating a nice water feature and going wild with all the foam, paints, live plants, fog, etc. If you could build an overly complicated paludarium for cinnamon tree frogs, what would you put in there?

I wanted a
narrow drizzling waterfall
vertical vines above the water basin for eggs

Beyond that I would love some suggestions, also would bannana roaches be appropriate feeders?

thanks for all your help and time guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Cinnamon tree frog -Nyctixalus pictus

I've recently been discussing cinnamon tree frogs with Patrick Nabors as I'm building my own palu for them, and his advice was the simpler the better with these guys. You may want to contact him for further info, he is a wealth of knowledge on this species! If you're going for overly complex, I would maybe choose a different animal.
Eric Walker likes this.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:28 PM

Talking Re: Cinnamon tree frog -Nyctixalus pictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeTyrant View Post
I've recently been discussing cinnamon tree frogs with Patrick Nabors as I'm building my own palu for them, and his advice was the simpler the better with these guys. You may want to contact him for further info, he is a wealth of knowledge on this species! If you're going for overly complex, I would maybe choose a different animal.
As I understood it, from his page of info from his site, that simpler is better for young frogs and save the complex for adults. I am completly okay with simple for a while. Howevere, being a fish keeper at heart I wanted to be able to offer good quality water and over all stability often found in a simpler set up. I actually am in the first steps of setting up a twenty four gallon tote much like he uses/suggests. I figured that gives me a good 5 months to set up something pretty for the front room! I'll shoot him an email. Sometimes I forget that I can do that since he's not some massive corporation haha.

Thank you! Have any pictures of your palu? tips for making the water line look very natural? Thanks again!

Old 09-08-2014, 08:40 PM
TWI/ASN

Definitely, for the water feature, put lots of tannins in. Also put some thick branches close to the water for egg laying.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:54 AM

Both groups iv had rarely ever strayed to high off the water and they had 36" of height. Maybe they would get up in the 18 inches up range. I have always kept mine with inverted clay pots with pothos sticking up from the hole in the center. They seem to prefer smaller food as well. Hydei were taken before smaller crickets ime.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Walker View Post
Both groups iv had rarely ever strayed to high off the water and they had 36" of height. Maybe they would get up in the 18 inches up range. I have always kept mine with inverted clay pots with pothos sticking up from the hole in the center. They seem to prefer smaller food as well. Hydei were taken before smaller crickets ime.
I had planed on creating pools, which woud over flow into another pool, like the side of a steep hillside along the back and one side of the tank. The bottom 8 inches will be water and substrate, the top six inches will have mirrors and glass to help direct lighting since they will be in my bedroom. is roughly 32 inches of vertical hight too much? It will have water and flat areas throughout. Also, banana roach nymphs as I understand it are the size of hydei, unless I'm mistaken. I've spent a lot of time researching roaches lol

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-11-2014, 06:20 AM

If I got a trio of Cinnamon tree frogs, could I also put in a Lygodactylus Williamsi or two? I have about thirty inches of vertical space not including water, and there will be many many caves, vines, and wood.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:45 PM

sounds good to me