Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aspidites73

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 07:37 PM

Default Serious RETF problem

So, this morning I woke up to a dead frog. I have no clue how this happened. We recently re did their enclosure so idk if stress was a factor or what. Here's a pic of the enclosure: everything has been normal. the only thing I think it could've been was the Temps since the ac broke. Several times. It's been fixed for a couple days, though. Anyways, temps besides that have been 70-75, I've been feeding crickets dusted with calcium plus, they've been eating normal and acting normal, humidity is 60-70%. Here she is: she was in there with another female and a male, which brings me to my second problem. My male has this wound or something on his head: I have no clue what this is. sorry for the lengthy post, but I'm having a bunch of issues with them all of the sudden. I've had them for a few months, the male is cb and the two females are wc. I've posted this in hopes that someone can help me figure out what that injury on the male is, what caused the females death and what should i do with them now. any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by SuperFastSlug; 08-01-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Serious RETF problem

Here's a pic of all of them before we changed their cage if that helps at all
Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Mod

Did you do any form of quarantine on the WC or CB frogs, or did you just add them all to the enclosure?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:31 PM

Yeah they were quarantined before they were introduced
Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 PM

What do you, specifically, mean by 'the were quarantined '? Please outline your protocal so we may help you and others who see this thread.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:17 PM

Any new frog that was added to the grouo was quarantined for a period of 8 weeks without any further fecal exams etc. We just monitored activity, eating, etc. We have had our newest frog in the group for about 6 months without any problems. We just moved the group to a new enclosure about 1 week ago...
Old 08-01-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFastSlug View Post
Any new frog that was added to the grouo was quarantined for a period of 8 weeks without any further fecal exams etc. We just monitored activity, eating, etc. We have had our newest frog in the group for about 6 months without any problems. We just moved the group to a new enclosure about 1 week ago...

If you did not do preventative testing prior to introducing animals then you did not have a practical husbandry protocol. Even a single negative fecal is not enough to ensure health. It's a hard pill to swallow, but you may help another frogger by posting this thread. All animals must have at least 1 clean fecal before being introduced into an established population. Anything else, you're simply taking hostages!
Bcs TX likes this.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:42 AM

Thanks for your help. There is obviously value in a good QT protocol, but "taking hostages?" As relatively new froggers, we did what we thought was right. With that said, we are now at a point where I am looking for someone who has any idea of what might be going on? That is a fairly distinct looking sore on the frog. The frogs have all looked and acted healthy for about 6 months. This is a sudden change.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:57 AM

Hello, I'm Sorry to hear your retf is sick and so very sorry for your loss. Looks like some kind of infection. If you are seeking advice, there is a really great vet that you can contact through email. He is awesome. His name is Dr. Frye if Milan Veterinary. [email protected] , office 734-439-2273... good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to tinkgirl77 For This Useful Post:
SuperFastSlug (08-02-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkgirl77 View Post
Hello, I'm Sorry to hear your retf is sick and so very sorry for your loss. Looks like some kind of infection. If you are seeking advice, there is a really great vet that you can contact through email. He is awesome. His name is Dr. Frye if Milan Veterinary. [email protected] , office 734-439-2273... good luck!
Thank you for the help! I'll look into it☺
tinkgirl77 (08-04-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Looks like an infected abrasion from rubbing his nose against a screen top.

If parasites caused her to die, the 6 normal months could have been the time that they were building up their population.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 PM

Not sure it's the only problem, but your temps raised a red flag for me. A constant 70 to 75 is a bit on the low side. I had good luck with tree frogs using that as a nightime temp.

During the day I always provided and area that got closer to 80, and made sure there was a gradient available.

Almost invariably, on nights they fed I would find them sleeping in the basking area the next day. Conversely, they would be on the cooler side if not fed.

I would recommend you try to provide both temp and humidity choices for RETF's. Some moss and heavier misting on the side without the basking area would be good. Hope this helps....

Scott
Old 09-11-2014, 09:44 PM

thats strange sorry