EMERGENCY:froglets with long tails left to the wild, more following, are they okay?? - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Tree frogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 12:43 AM

Exclamation EMERGENCY:froglets with long tails left to the wild, more following, are they okay??

My treefrog tadpoles were just developing their front legs and I thought they were fine in the water since they still had long tails and a bunch of stuff to crawl up on, but a few drowned!! We moved them into a much shallower kiddie pool immediately, at a slant in the dirt, so that they could get directly into the dirt after climbing out. About 6 or 7 were crawling out last night, and I figured they knew what they were doing and I should just let them leave, so I let them leave. But this afternoon there were 5 dead ones in there!!

We got out an even shallower thing, a cookie sheet, and put that at a slant in some dirt with a little bit of water at the bottom, and we put maybe 25 froglets with long tails into that so they wouldn't drown.

Those froglets with tails hopped out into the dirt and were acting so happy, I figured that must be the right thing to keep doing.

But I just found 3 dead outside, 1 in the water and 2 in the dirt.

Am I doing something wrong? (I've given them access to blood worms and boiled romaine and cucumber, even though I think they absorb their tail as food at this point??). Should I not have let them go while they were still so little? They seemed too small to let go, but I figured they knew what they were doing!

What do I do with the ones that are left, which are developing their little legs FAST? It seems like they pop more legs out every hour!!!

Thanks!!!

(EDIT: I just saw I posted this under a dart frogs forum I think, but these aren't dart frogs.)

Last edited by KelseyM; 06-27-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 02:53 AM

Default Re: EMERGENCY:froglets with long tails left to the wild, more following, are they oka

Are these frogs that you have as pets and are letting the offspring go in the wild. What kind of frogs are they?