facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Groundhog
  • 1 Post By Phyllobates
  • 1 Post By Groundhog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 AM

Default Haitian blue toe tree frog

Anyone kept these? The look cool and I wouldn't mind trying a project for a tree frog that is regularly harvested and is losing habitat. So share some info if you have it. Do the import well? Etc. thanks
Logan
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Haitian blue toe tree frog

Yes--25 years ago. Hypsiboas heilprini, native to Hispaniola, like to chill on rocks near moving water. They are a good candidate for a paludarium. Set them up similarly to the way our colleagues do Theloderma, but you can spice it up with an emergent Echinodorus or Sagittaria, and a couple of small bromeliads and green tillandsias on branches up near the lights. A small submersible turtle filter will do fine.

Be aware, though:

--I highly recommend you do not get these sight unseen, unless the vendor offers a whack guarantee. (Back in the day, most Hispaniolan herps came in okay--right near Florida.) If you decide to buy from 88 Fingers Louie or Sam Speedy, ask for small and plump. Learn to recognize the difference between adults and sub-adults;
--They are a bit skittish at first. Make sure your tank is up and running before acquiring the frogs. No, "but I got a deal, will stick em in a 10, my goal is to set up the tank by Thanksgiving..." um--no.
--Once acclimated they are okay eaters--not mad voracious like a green tree frog, but not overly shy. Seem to prefer smaller prey items.
--If your tank will have a small land area, they are quite compatible with smaller Caribbean anoles (chlorocyanus, porcatus, etc.)

For some natural history info, see Schwartz and Henderson (1991), Amphibians and Reptiles of the West Indies (lots of useful, interesting info on all Caribbean herpetofauna).

Hope this helps.
otterblue likes this.
1.0 Cuora trifasciata
The Following User Says Thank You to Groundhog For This Useful Post:
Logqan (09-11-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 03:26 PM

Addendum: I want to clarify my post--of course, we need to pay attention to quarantine protocols. But Blue toes are not extremely rugged frogs. Not overly delicate, but they are not a baby Ceratophrys that can be plunked into a critter keeper until you get around to setting them up.

1) Do you have an extra 20 high? A couple of inches of water with a potted aroid and some emergent aroids will do it. I personally would not keep these in quarantine more than 2-3 weeks. Think a valuable marine fish here. A comfortable, aesthetic paludarium will go a long way to minimizing any stress.

2) A 20 high can accommodate four frogs; a 30 can accommodate four frogs and 1.2 small Anolis, if you'd like. A taller Exo Terra or Zoomed will work.

K-I-S-S on the paludarium. Blue toes hang on rocks near streams and waterfalls, not deep in the overly lush forest:

--One big emergent rock;
--light level of small gravel;
--one emergent plant, maybe a small echinodorus or sagittaria or a small spathiphyllum;
--some emergent ghost wood;
--a couple of small tank bromeliads and green tillandsias on the wood, or mount these to the back wall.
--small bio-filter; a small submersible turtle filter should do fine. Blue toes seem to like slow-moving water, and will sit vertically on the glass with their asses in the water (hey, you can see the blue toes!) They require access to clean water, or they will dessicate fairly quickly. (Blue toes are not one those hylids or hyperoliids that like to dry out under warm lights.)

3) Smaller prey items, and they seem to respond well to diet supplements (Superpig?) I have no idea if these are one of those frogs that like soft flying insects (i.e., moths). They will learn to accept food from your fingers.

G

P S.
Reminder: When you select, think small and plump.

P.S.S.
Find a copy of Schwartz and Henderson (1991); they will be under Hyla heilprini.
1.0 Cuora trifasciata
The Following User Says Thank You to Groundhog For This Useful Post:
Logqan (09-11-2013)

Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 PM

Couldn't have asked for a better reply and thank you so much for putting time and concern into this.

I have a large exoterra. I have been experimenting with emersed echinodorus and cryptocoryne lately and plan to bring this into the design. I have the filter and I'm thinking a shoreline of larger river stones though I'm sure I have to watch the weight. I want to do a few emersed echinodorus in back behind the shoreline and emersed crypts mostly for show in the "stream". I was considering walstad method setup for the pool but have to think it through. I have some good branches and air plants for the upper level as well.

I will certainly consider the anoles for the future but will get the frogs ready first.

I do want to keep it looking more like a stream edge. Now to get started. I will look into that book as well.
Thanks again
I'll try to update the build here
Old 09-11-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logqan View Post
I'll try to update the build here
Please do!! This is sounding very cool...
Logqan likes this.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:22 AM

Nothing crazy to update so far, but I have a few terracotta pots set up in an aquarium filled with a mixture of rock, coconut fiber, sphagnum, sand, and leaf mulch.

The plants going in thus far are pilea cauderni, Echinodorus blehri, Cryptocoryne wendtii Tropica, and Cryptocoryne balansae.

I am also going to cover a branch or two in sheet moss and attach Rhipsalis capilliformes, cryptanthus, and maybe one of my smaller leaf Hoya species.

updates to follow
Old 10-02-2013, 04:36 AM

Wow some bad spelling. Too tired. Echinodorus bleheri and pilea cadierei
Old 10-03-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logqan View Post
Nothing crazy to update so far, but I have a few terracotta pots set up in an aquarium filled with a mixture of rock, coconut fiber, sphagnum, sand, and leaf mulch.

The plants going in thus far are pilea cauderni, Echinodorus blehri, Cryptocoryne wendtii Tropica, and Cryptocoryne balansae.

I am also going to cover a branch or two in sheet moss and attach Rhipsalis capilliformes, cryptanthus, and maybe one of my smaller leaf Hoya species.

updates to follow
I strongly recommend:
--A mesic tillandsia or very small guzmania rather than cryptanthus--how about Guz 'Theresa?';
--Pilea can get weedy. I think you'd be better off with a small aroid--looking for a bit of color? Try one of the smaller Syngonium cultivars like 'Pyxie,' these can grow hydroponically.
Logqan likes this.
1.0 Cuora trifasciata
Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Thanks again for the quick reply.

The cryptanthus and pilea were just chosen because I have lots of it laying around. I'd rather go with tillandsia so I guess I'll just suck it up and go get some. I also have java fern I should throw in emersed. If the pilea starts to look bad I'll just pull it. Thats the benefit of potting I guess.

Logan
Old 10-08-2013, 02:59 AM

small update. Nothing fancy, just getting the plants started on their emersed life in a 10 gallon 100% humidity. Ill do a few more and begin the transition to the exo
Logan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (94.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (100.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (91.6 KB, 14 views)