Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blakek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 PM

Unhappy Ecnomiohyla rabborum-clone it?

This lesser-known tree frog may be the next Pinta Island tortoise. The species is known only from one captive male specimen which currently lives at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. Until recently, the species was known from three individuals- two male, one female, but, unfortunately, the female died in 2009. The species was then reduced to just two males. One of the two was euthanized after a "decline in health" to end its suffering and to preserve its genetic material for study. The last individual in captivity could very well be the last member of his species. There appears to be no further hope for this species; another animal lost forever because of human carelessness. Apparently it has been proposed that one of the two males be cloned so the species may live on in captivity, but that brings us back to the ethical issue of cloning.

The question is, assuming for the moment that E. rabborum can be cloned, should it be done? Anyone have opinions on this?
1.1 P. terribilis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Ecnomiohyla rabborum-clone it?

Aww that's sad.

I say go for it though on cloning...Even if it doesn't work to bring this species back in a viable way it will likely help advance the science to help other animals in the future. If they start producing frogs with terrible health issues, then ok stop...and be humane but until that happens I don't see a reason not to try and save this species.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 PM

How very sad

Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 AM
TWI/ASN

I think animal cloning is okay, it just gets weird when you think about cloning people. That being said, if they did clone it, they would only have males and not be able to breed. I don't know what cloning costs, but it probably isn't economically viable to clone enough to repopulate the wild, especially if they can't breed.

Remember that C. ciliatus was thought to be extinct until the 90s? How many kids have one in their bedroom now? Hopefully they will find more.

Somewhat unrelated,

Here's a picture I took of the last Rabb's. Nat Geo did an artical on him in the latest (July?) issue. He was named Toughie by the curator's young son. I got to hold him once, and he leaped out of my hand and landed on the front of a zoomed. I almost crapped my pants, thinking I dropped and killed the last E. rabborum. They check on him 3 times a day and keep logs of his health. He is doing well, but who knows how old he is.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371602525215.jpg (85.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 AM
TWI/ASN

On Saturday, when I was visiting the El Valle Amphibian Conservation Center Ecnomiohyla miliaria jumped on my shirt....I nearly died. It was such an amazing frog! I knew about E. rabborum, I was so happy to see another frog belonging to the same genus. Truly an amazing amphibian.
Firawen likes this.

Last edited by Blakek; 06-19-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakek View Post
On Saturday, when I was visiting the El Valle Amphibian Conservation Center Ecnomiohyla miliaria jumped on my shirt.....
That sounds like a bit of an experience! It's always interesting when wild animals interact with you, even inadvertently.
1.1 P. terribilis
Old 06-19-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firawen View Post
I think animal cloning is okay, it just gets weird when you think about cloning people. That being said, if they did clone it, they would only have males and not be able to breed. I don't know what cloning costs, but it probably isn't economically viable to clone enough to repopulate the wild, especially if they can't breed.

Remember that C. ciliatus was thought to be extinct until the 90s? How many kids have one in their bedroom now? Hopefully they will find more.

Somewhat unrelated,

Here's a picture I took of the last Rabb's. Nat Geo did an artical on him in the latest (July?) issue. He was named Toughie by the curator's young son. I got to hold him once, and he leaped out of my hand and landed on the front of a zoomed. I almost crapped my pants, thinking I dropped and killed the last E. rabborum. They check on him 3 times a day and keep logs of his health. He is doing well, but who knows how old he is.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Been awhile since I looked into it, but I think they have the tech to tweak the sex during the cloning process...I could be wrong though.