No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By pdfCrazy
  • 3 Post By KeroKero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 AM

Default I think I'm in love...

So love at first sight...? Only had it with a few types of frogs, but saw a picture of a Milk Frog and that was it. Just when I didn't think my heart had any more room for more frogs(cause my room certainly does not..lol). Does anyone here keep these, if so I would love to hear your experience. Thanks
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 AM

Talking Re: I think I'm in love...

When I first read the title of the thread.........anywho, I recently saw these in a local reptile shop. Good lookin little frogs. Trachycephalus resinifictrix. I'm curius how large they get. I'd love to get a few, but my bedroom looks like a zoo exhibit already.
rain dart likes this.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:58 PM

Default Re: I think I'm in love...

Pretty sure I remember Mike Novy having a large breeding group last time I was over there. I think his name on here is Kermit or something.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:42 AM

the last issue of REPTILES has a very informative article on keeping them. I recommend picking it up for a good informative reed.
rain dart (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 AM

Think Whites treefrog. Very big, very hungry. The colors do fade a bit but even as adults they are still sharp looking frogs.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrobait View Post
Think Whites treefrog. Very big, very hungry. The colors do fade a bit but even as adults they are still sharp looking frogs.
Hmm yeah, they look really cool when they're young, but I've seen pictures of adults where the blue/white fades to gray/brown
Old 06-13-2013, 03:42 AM

I have read up on them, was looking for first hand experience stories.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 AM

Get them!!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Pretty sure I remember Mike Novy having a large breeding group last time I was over there. I think his name on here is Kermit or something.
Here's Michael Novy's website. Call him rather than email. Rainforest Junky's | Specializing in captive bred amphibians

Here's his feedback page: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ven...unkys-com.html
The Following User Says Thank You to frogface For This Useful Post:
rain dart (06-13-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 05:39 PM

I have 34 of these little guys... =) I aquired mine from mike novy as well =) I got them as tadpoles though. So I have the full raising experience. However mike has the BREEDING experience which I do not have.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 PM

I love these guys, I think they have a lot of personality. They end up having a pudgy build like a White's TF (and can beg just as well) so a big issue with them can be overfeeding. When all bundled up they end up being a little bit bigger than palm size, but aren't as big as White's... but certainly way bigger than a RETF which comes across as a stick figure runway model compared to them LOL.

Care is basically like RETF set up but for a frog built like a White's. They are heavily built frogs so take note of that when thinking plants for them so they don't squish them down to nothing. Big, strong philodendron leaves that they can land on are good (like P. squamiferum), and when resting they like to wedge themselves into places like between layers of cork bark. Plenty of spots they can sit on (as wide as their body - driftwood or large lianas - will help them use more of the tank and get some exercise. Being big eaters they are also big poopers so take that into account when you set up their tanks... I kept to waterbowls (large dog waterbowl size or larger) so I could easily replace when soiled, otherwise have a drain in your pond LOL.

They are easy to feed and take most larger feeder insects like adult crickets and some of the smaller roach species - while they can take pinkie mice I don't really recommend it (usually only used in the case of breeding female). If you have one I recommend bowl feeding them (especially handy if you have substrate in the tank, they won't eat it if they are eating from a bowl), if you have multiple I'd try feeding them from hemostats/tweezers so everyone gets their fair share (plus you can get them to run all over the tank and get exercise!). One animal will come down, sit on the side of the bowl, and eat everything in it before the others get there LOL.

They are treehole breeders and aren't super hard to breed as much as how much work the tadpoles are... they lay 1500 eggs at a time and will lay more clutches to feed the original clutch. That means if you're not feeding them enough you'll have cannibalism (not exactly a bad thing and actually what they do in the wild). I remember trying to raise them in a 55g trashcan and we still had 300 little mouths to feed... and feed... and feed... so the work isn't the breeding, it's the raising

Just make sure you're in love with what the ADULTS look like, not the little panda looking froglets LOL. They go from black/white to off white and grey mottled... pretty cool looking still though. Personality is great, but raising offspring is - like many mass breeders - probably best left to those with lots of room and time to clean up after a few hundred to a few thousand tadpoles at one time.
frogface, rain dart and Halter like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KeroKero For This Useful Post:
frogface (06-19-2013), rain dart (06-19-2013)