Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 AM

Default Bumble bee toad

I am looking for care needs and info if anyone has any. I can't find much on them and I am hoping someone who has experience with them will chime in please. Thank You,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Bumble bee toad

I found this. Not much but a start. They seem like they are hardy

Common Name: Bumble Bee Walking Toad
Scientific Name: Melanophryniscus stelzneri
Adult Size: Males are aprox. 25mm and large females can reach 40mm in some cases.

These toads are an easy to care for species from Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay. Hills and plains there are not tropical. They like to live by, though not in, running water. Always wash your hands before and after handling your pet frog.

Captive Enclosure:
When housing them, a good rule of thumb is to allow a minimum of 2.5 gal. of tank space for each toad with no tank smaller than a five gal. and no more than 10 toads per tank no matter the size. Use gravel, ground coconut husk or reptile bark for a substrate. Live or artificial plants are recommended as they improve the terrariums looks, and the toads seem to enjoy climbing up the plants. However they are not very skilled climbers and often fall out of them. Keep in mind that they are from a savanna-type area where they have grasses and small shrubs. Use a screened lid for proper ventilation.
Temperature:
These toads are rather tolerant of the temperature range. The ideal range seems to be between 75 and 80 degrees. Use an under tank heat pad for 24 hour heat. Always use a thermometer to ensure proper temperature range is maintained.
Water:
A bowl of clean, de-chlorinated water should always be available. Frogs do not drink water, they absorb it through their skin, therefore a water dish should be provided that is large enough for the animal to easily get in and out of. Maintain the humidity at 60-80% most of the time as they are less active and hide when it becomes much higher or lower.
Food:
These toads tend to be very hardy eaters. Feeding is no problem as long as plenty of small food items are maintained. Keep in mind that they eat a lot of food for their size. Pinhead crickets, fruit flies, termites, small harmless ant species, small silkworms, wax worms, and almost any other harmless insects of similar size are all acceptable food items.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 PM

Thank you, that was extremely helpful

Old 02-05-2010, 03:12 PM

Something I found...

Scientific name: Melanophriniscus stelzneri.

Common English Name: Bumble Bee toad

Range: They come from southern Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, and northern Argentina.

Habitat: Hills, plains. Lowlands to highlands. Not tropical. They like to live by, though not in, running water. I have also heard they live on the Pampas, which I think would be a grassier, cooler place than lower Brazil. According to the scientist in Argentina, they live in hills, 500 to 1000 meters above sea level.

I have some carpet like moss in my vivarium and they like to hang out on it. It is also, by the way, where water splashes from a little stream. At night, they crawl under some leaves or in holes in some branches. They seem to have no "home." They may be in a different place every night.

Temperature: Most people posting on the forum have recommended cooler temperatures than you would have for tropical frogs. 65 F to 75 F. However, some have suggested higher -- 70 F to 80 F.

In the words of the Argentinean researcher, "a spring temperature like (COULD BE BETWEEN 15 TO 27 C)" would be fine.

Humidity: Humidity recommendations have also varied. I have read anything from 60% to 80%. For what it is worth, mine seem very happy at 74 F with humidity ranging from 60% to 80%.

Food: They eat small items like fruitflies and flour beetle larvae. They will also eat pinhead crickets, though I have never seen them do it.

Sexing: No one seems to know how to sex them.

Breeding: I have not found anyone who has successfully bred them in captivity. There was a reference to someone on one of the forums, but I have not found that person. All of these frogs are wild caught.

According to the researcher in Argentina: Their reproductive time begins (in South America, Argentina) at mid of october (spring), when the rains are diurnal and very hard, and make temporary streams.

It was not clear from my correspondence whether the researcher in Argentina successfully bred them. It does appear that she got them to stay in amplexus in cascading water with a high oxygen concentration.

Call: They make little noises like a little chicken or bird -- or so I've been told.

Territorial: They seem to like each other and I would not hesitate to get more than one. I have seen no territorial behavior.

Toxicity: They are very poisonous in the wild and may be after imported. Like dart frogs, they lose their toxicity in captivity.

Activity: The best thing of all about these guys are that they are active and diurnal. They are always exploring, always noticeable, and not shy at all. Sometimes even at night they are walking around.

Swim: You will see differing views on whether they can be near water. Some say that being toads, they will drown. However, my vivarium has a pool of water. When I first brought the toads home, the toads purposefully jumped in the water. It was no accident. They swam around a few times and crawled out. They then jumped in again and did the same thing. They never went back in. The funny thing is when I bought another one, he did the same thing! From watching them I know they can swim. Just make sure they have a way out.

Hardy: Yes. Perhaps that is why there are differing views on what conditions to keep them in. Maybe they are just hardy enough to survive in a wide range of conditions. Mine seem very healthy.

Endangered?: Not quite. According to the IUCN, they are a "rare species.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:51 PM

http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/c...ingtoad01.html

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.cann/Mstelzneri.html

http://translate.google.com/translat...egenthaler.htm

http://www.caudata.org/forum/search....uery=stelzneri

And, if you want to hear their call:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.ca..._stelzneri.mp3

Last edited by stemcellular; 02-05-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:25 PM

Default I know this is not a care related question...

But did not want to start another post with the same title.
I am trying to figure out what a fair price on these guys would be.
I guess I would just like to know the $ amount one would pay per toad.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 PM

There is an article on breeding them in one of the old ADG Newsletters. Don't remember which one off hand but its there.

Best,

Chuck
Old 02-05-2010, 09:05 PM

BTW: If you know of a source to acquire some please let me know.

Thanks,

John
Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 PM

Those guys have not been imported in quite some time to my knowledge. They were pretty common just a few years ago with prices quite low, maybe $25 or cheaper in some cases. Then they stopped coming in befor they ever became really popular. Very similar in habit to some Atelopus, only alot easier to keep.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 PM

Pretty widely available as of yesterday (I picked up 10/another DB member nabbed 20 or so). PM if you want info about sources.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 PM

Mark Lucas has some on Kingsnake now (which means Strictley Reptiles has some) for $25 - $22, they are really cool looking little toads. I was wondering if anyone had bred them, certainly a very challenging breeding project for someone to take on.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpulawski View Post
Mark Lucas has some on Kingsnake now (which means Strictley Reptiles has some) for $25 - $22, they are really cool looking little toads. I was wondering if anyone had bred them, certainly a very challenging breeding project for someone to take on.

In the past a few folks have (at least according to the internet, ) however, I'm def. excited to give it a go.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:23 PM

Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemcellular View Post
In the past a few folks have (at least according to the internet, ) however, I'm def. excited to give it a go.
A past board member bred them (Seth Doty (I think I spelled that correctly) ) and had very few people interested in the offspring. He had a difficult time selling off the offspring at about $15 each if I remember correctly.
I am also aware of several other captive reproductions, like Alex Sens breeding them back in the early 1990s.

This species has had a number of chances to become established in the hobby but due to little interest in the offspring (as the cost of imported adults was the same or cheaper than that of the metamorphs), the captive population was allowed to crash. They are not that hard to breed based on the descriptions of those who I know have done it, but they will not breed like dendrobatids and are seasonal breeders.

Ed
Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
A past board member bred them (Seth Doty (I think I spelled that correctly) ) and had very few people interested in the offspring. He had a difficult time selling off the offspring at about $15 each if I remember correctly.
I am also aware of several other captive reproductions, like Alex Sens breeding them back in the early 1990s.

This species has had a number of chances to become established in the hobby but due to little interest in the offspring (as the cost of imported adults was the same or cheaper than that of the metamorphs), the captive population was allowed to crash. They are not that hard to breed based on the descriptions of those who I know have done it, but they will not breed like dendrobatids and are seasonal breeders.

Ed
Sounds like a good project for TWI/ASN.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:55 PM
TWI/ASN

Im Getting 10 as well=) very cool
Old 02-05-2010, 11:38 PM

5 coming on Tuesday for me as well. I hope they do ok in this weather.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemcellular View Post
Sounds like a good project for TWI/ASN.
A group of us were/are already looking into it..

Ed
Old 02-06-2010, 12:36 AM

Awesome little animal, hard to get people to breed them when you currently can buy for 11 dollars each.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcameron View Post
Awesome little animal, hard to get people to breed them when you currently can buy for 11 dollars each.
except when the population collapses and people are trying to get as much as $200 each for them.

Ed
Old 02-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Sponsor

Strictly Reptiles Price List
Paraguayan Bumble Bee Toad $15.00 6/$12.00 12/$11.00
Old 02-06-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
except when the population collapses and people are trying to get as much as $200 each for them.

Ed
I agree Ed and it is hard to predict when that might occur, It seems like when a bunch of these came in around '04 there were many predictions that those were the last. You would think that people would learn from several of the mantellas.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:41 AM

I think we may want to consider that this may not be M. stelzneri as this shipment is supposed to be originating in Paraguay.. I need to look more closely at the range maps.

If it isn't stelzneri then the prediction that the 04 import may have been the last would be true..

Ed
Old 02-06-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
I think we may want to consider that this may not be M. stelzneri as this shipment is supposed to be originating in Paraguay.. I need to look more closely at the range maps.

If it isn't stelzneri then the prediction that the 04 import may have been the last would be true..

Ed
You may be correct, Ed. However, looks like they might be present in Paraguay. Won't know until they arrive next week (if then).

FAUNA PARAGUAY LIST OF THE AMPHIBIANS OF PARAGUAY

Melanophryniscus stelzneri (Weyenbergh 1875-1876) - Cited for Paraguay by Aquino et al (1996) based on a composite sample of M.atroluteus, M.fulvoguttatus, M.klappenbachi and a new species of Melanophryniscus.

Also, has anyone seen a picture of the frogs from this shipment (not representative pics)?
The link below might help identify which species they are:
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/browse...an_sci_55.html

Last edited by stemcellular; 02-06-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:16 AM

The brief posting on kingsnake by Mark Lucas had a picture that looks more closely to Melanophryniscus montevidensis.

]

Ed
Old 02-06-2010, 05:18 AM

I asked him and he said that it was a "representative picture", not from the actual shipment. I'm trying to get him (or one of the others selling them) a dorsal and ventral picture. However, so far to no avail...
Old 02-06-2010, 07:08 AM

Where are you guys seeing this price list? I think I'll jump on the band wagon, they seem really cool. The 'dotted' ones in particular.

Last edited by fleshfrombone; 02-06-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:06 AM

Looks like there might be enough interest to get them established in captivity this time...
Old 02-07-2010, 02:18 AM
TWI/ASN

I do hope they become established. I've kept one a very long time ago (yes just one), and it was definitely a cool little animal. I wasn't very experienced back then and just having it for nothing more than a cool pet was all I was thinking. Now I would love to give them a chance again and try my hand at breeding them as well. Glad this thread was started!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
The brief posting on kingsnake by Mark Lucas had a picture that looks more closely to Melanophryniscus montevidensis.
Ed, are there any big differences in habitats between these species? I thought that M. montevidensis was more of a coastal dweller, drier scrubland with seasonal breeding pools. What about the status of montevidenses, any significant problems or threats? Maybe this is something that we should potentially take seriously and try to get a few different breeding groups going.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogsawaste View Post
I do hope they become established. I've kept one a very long time ago (yes just one), and it was definitely a cool little animal. I wasn't very experienced back then and just having it for nothing more than a cool pet was all I was thinking. Now I would love to give them a chance again and try my hand at breeding them as well. Glad this thread was started!

They shouldn't be that hard to get established if there is a decent market for offspring and a decent number of folks try to get them established. While they are not as simple to breed as many species of poison frogs they are by no means extremely difficult. Breeding them just takes a little patience and maybe a few attempts till things work out. I was only 14 when I first bred them back in 2001 or so. If a very young hobbyist with a little determination and a willingness to try different things can breed them numerous times over the space of a couple years then there are a great many hobbyists who could be equally successful. Like Ed said, a general lack of serious interest in the species by people who could have bred them and a lack of a market for CB offspring was the main thing that kept them from becoming established when wc's were around before. There is no reason why serious hobbyists shouldn't be able to get them established this time as long as wc's don't become so commonly available again that we once again end up back with the "cheap $15.00 frog, not worth a serious hobbyists time" mentality. If that mentality repeats itself then we will no doubt continue in the cycle that has been going on since at least the late 80's. A glut of wc imports at cheap prices with low demand followed by both skyrocketing interest and prices once the supply dries up.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:47 AM

In case any of you folks who are picking up some of this species this time around and are looking at breeding them are interested I thought I would post some of my past records for breeding this species out of my data book. I am not sure it will help but at the least it might be a little interesting.

Oct. 16th 01
Aprox. 200 M. stelzneri eggs laid.
Fertile, but die of fungus

Sept. 2nd 02
Aprox. 250 M. stelzneri eggs laid, aprox 240 hatch.
Aprox. 150 froglets morph out.

Feb. 15th 03
Aprox. 190 hatch. All tads die of fungus.

March 5th 03
Eggs hatch, all tads die of unknown reasons. Seem to get thin and waste away though eating.

March 14th 04
Aprox. 120 morph out. Do well.

May 12th 04
Aprox. 180 M. stelzneri eggs laid.
Nearly all eggs hatch.
Most tads waste away and die though eating plenty of food.
22 morph out, but weak.
11 live.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:04 AM

So can anyone identify these from the add on Kingsnake today kingsnake.com Classifieds: BumbleBee Toads: $25 the 3rd pic is of the belly. I wish I would've seen this thread sooner...
Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-07-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrick105 View Post
So can anyone identify these from the add on Kingsnake today kingsnake.com Classifieds: BumbleBee Toads: $25 the 3rd pic is of the belly. I wish I would've seen this thread sooner...
Thanks,
Steve

It looks exactly like the ones I had so it is presumably stelzneri. Looks about three quarters grown. Just big enough to breed if it is a male, probably a little small still if a female.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 AM

I just bought 7 of them today. Do you think a 40 gallon breeder will work for them?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrick105 View Post
I just bought 7 of them today. Do you think a 40 gallon breeder will work for them?
Sure, it will be fine, if anything that is on the large side. I kept 8 in a 15 gal. planted with pothos and a frisbee for a water dish for years. They would climb up in the pothos and hide under the frisbee but always came out for the food. They did fine. When I went to a bigger setup they lost more of their food than I liked and it was harder to keep track of them all and make sure they were getting enough to eat. I went back to smaller size setups as a personal preference.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:37 AM

Good to see back among the living Seth. I had wanted to get some from you back then but I was out of work due to an injury for a few months and didn't have the ability to set them up..

Ed
Old 02-07-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
Ed, are there any big differences in habitats between these species? I thought that M. montevidensis was more of a coastal dweller, drier scrubland with seasonal breeding pools. What about the status of montevidenses, any significant problems or threats? Maybe this is something that we should potentially take seriously and try to get a few different breeding groups going.
I have some references I can look them up.. but lets wait and get a confirmation on the species before we get too much information out there.

Ed
Old 02-07-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Good to see back among the living Seth. I had wanted to get some from you back then but I was out of work due to an injury for a few months and didn't have the ability to set them up..

Ed
Oh I have been around off and on Ed, I just don't post much. Actually when I went to reply to this thread I realized I either wasn't registered at all on this board or had forgotten my login name. lol Hope you get some of the wc's this time. Myself I don't think I will just yet, working with a couple other species and can't really work with very many at once at this point in my life. Maybe I will pick some up if they start to flood the market again. lol
Old 02-07-2010, 05:18 AM

I am getting a group together and am coordinating what we're going to do with some other TWI personnel.

I'll shoot you a pm so not to detract from this thread.

Ed
Old 02-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
A group of us were/are already looking into it..

Ed
Ed-

Im picking up a group next week. Count me in on the TWI project!