Thinking of getting into Toads: bumble bee toad, fire-bellied toads, or other? - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Toads
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Poll Results: Which toad might work? Choose all that apply.
Bumble-bee toad 0 0%
Fire-bellied toad 2 100.00%
Other toad (pleace specify in comments) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Kmc
  • 1 Post By Kmc
  • 1 Post By Kmc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 10:54 PM

Question Thinking of getting into Toads: bumble bee toad, fire-bellied toads, or other?

I've been thinking of getting into amphibians for a while. I've come to the conclusion that I think I might prefer toads.

At the moment I'm debating between bumblebee toads and fire-bellied toads but I'm open to other suggestions. These would be my first toads and amphibians, although, I've recently inherited a squirrel tree frog.

I'm hoping those with experience can help me decide. I've yet to set up a tank, so I'm in no hurry, but I'm looking for something that would do best in the following conditions:

Enclosure:
  • Exo-terra, Wide - 36" x 18" x 18"
  • Half or a third water
  • With Pothos plants, marginal and/or emersed aquarium plants
  • Hand Misted

My room temperature ranges from is 70-74 degrees Fahrenheit with 49-60% humidity.

If possible, I'd like at least a trio of whichever animal I decide on.

Additional questions:
  • Could either (or any) toad be fed roaches as a primary diet? Anywhere from Little Kenyan nymph to Horseshoe-Crab adult roach size (I currently keep these two types).
  • Thoughts on if I should keep the screen lid of the exo-terra, replace it with glass, or half & half it?
  • Also, is it ok for the exo-terra's foam background to be in water?
    I can chop off the bottom if not.
    I kinda like the look of it, I want to paint it with concrete, make the crevices deeper, and then stuff them with sphagnum moss or fern fiber

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BebopCola; 10-05-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Thinking of getting into Toads: bumble bee toad, fire-bellied toads, or other?

I was going to PM you but could not with my skipping scroll crap I have. So I will try here.

Im wondering why you are pre dictating environment stats, with some specificity, before you have actually focused on a species.. ? I cant help but be curious..

The bumbles are out of the question, in what you picture, and orientalis comes 'closer'. You will be able to fill that tank to about 4 and a half inches.

Im wondering is this some kind of an odd experiment to see who bites?

My suggestion is that you get a single Budgetts Frog. They are wonderful frogs - little rapacious swamp creatures and so few get any one breaking them off a solid with a decent sized tank.

They are one of those guys that people buy as juveniles and get a "Starter Tank" A term and concept I happen to really disdain. Anyway they get a small tank and then resist, Often, from getting an appropriate permanent environment.

You should rescue a Budgetts Frog. They are really great frogs and you seem to be aquatically inclined.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Thinking of getting into Toads: bumble bee toad, fire-bellied toads, or other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc View Post
I was going to PM you but could not with my skipping scroll crap I have. So I will try here.

Im wondering why you are pre dictating environment stats, with some specificity, before you have actually focused on a species. ? I cant help but be curious..

The bumbles are out of the question, in what you picture, and orientalis comes 'closer'. You will be able to fill that tank to about 4 and a half inches.

Im wondering is this some kind of an odd experiment to see who bites?

My suggestion is that you get a single Budgetts Frog. They are wonderful frogs - little rapacious swamp creatures and so few get any one breaking them off a solid with a decent sized tank.

They are one of those guys that people buy as juveniles and get a "Starter Tank" A term and concept I happen to really disdain. Anyway they get a small tank and then resist, Often, from getting an appropriate permanent environment.

You should rescue a Budgetts Frog. They are really great frogs and you seem to be aquatically inclined.
I'm not sure what you mean. Like a "social experiment"?
I'll elaborate more to clear some confusion, hopefully.

I was just saying how my house conditions are. Since people live differently in different areas. I'm in south Texas, for instance, so it's hot and humid, and my room temperature (with central air) works for many of my insects, but I wouldn't be able to easily keep any temperate species (or axolotls ).
Maybe I could've been more specific as there'd be a lack of significant heating or cooling elements in my setup.

I have the exo-terra sitting here already, so that's what I want to work with. I was researching dart frogs but their needs seem to be more complicated than those of most of the toads I've read about.

I'm also not familiar with many of the species that are in the hobby, just the other day I saw 'purple harlequin toads' and they're amazing, but out of my skill level probably, and so I included an "other's" option. Bumble-bees and fire-bellied seemed the hardiest so far.

I'll take your suggestion of Budgett's Frog seriously, and look them up. A quick google brought up their nickname Freddy Krueger frog, lol. I didn't want anything too big, but if they'd be comfortable in a 36x18x18" I'd be ok with it. I wouldn't mind rescuing, if that's an option. I did take in this tree frog, but I already had a tank set up that suited it (it was being kept in the smallest critter keeper I've ever seen).

I'm not all that aquatically inclined actually. I just have a 20-gallon high aquarium for nerite snails. I'm using it as a hydroponics type thing for pothos, dracaena, and strawberries. So water test kits, water conditioners, filters, and siphons are already available.

I also thought the two types of toads I mentioned needed water areas, and I've been wanting to try out a paluadarium. A two-birds-one-stone thing. And I'd prefer to build a setup around an animal's needs rather than build a random thing and toss something in there (I don't know which animal though!).

Edit: omg

Last edited by BebopCola; 10-06-2019 at 01:40 AM.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I think I misread something somewhere!

Bumblee bee walking toads don't need a water area.
I don't need to incorporate it into my tank, or I can make it much smaller and shallower.
The water is not a deal-breaker.

Last edited by BebopCola; 10-06-2019 at 03:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:53 AM

My bumbles have had a water area for going on 11 years now and they access every morning and early evening. Its studded with smoothe stones that they walk across frequently in their active forays, and there are rarely drowned FFs in it, almost never - they are experts at zipping them off the stones and water surface.

As for the video, despite the inane "scratch" on the head I consider what was shown to be a form of cruelty - not your fault for posting but what was shown was a budgetts subjected to a complete abstract of normal situ in high stress.

They should never be treated that way.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:51 AM

Hey I know I'm late but you could look into placing plexiglass on top of the terrarium to hold in humidity or get a fogger to build humidity.

Fire Bellied Toads would probably be interesting to you being active and will appreciate the water feature. If you need more information I'd be happy to help.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

Kmc, could you share a photo of your bumblebee toad setup? I have had mine in a couple different enclosures but he doesn't seem to be happy. It sounds like yours are thriving, I'd like to see what you have them in. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

Their original enclosure is on another forum, but this year they were moved however I incorporated many of their cork, and their shallow water pool is same, but with different stones breaking the surface.

My partner is getting me a new laptop to hopefully help me become more internet efficient, and relieve her of stewarding my frustrations.

My toads are kept with many pieces of cork to enable thigmo close hiding spaces. There are also plenty of mineral area, IE places for them to get away from moist soil enlaid rock and pebbles. Pothos for plant life in a small pot where their feeding station is - frequently replaced wooden coffee stirrers that I put fruit chunks on.

I will get it together share wise when I can
freespirit_369 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

They like their dry areas and I allow them to bask.
freespirit_369 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

Thank you! That helps. I would love to see a photo when you have one, but I have difficulty navigating this website, not sure it I would ever find it :/
Old Today, 01:53 AM

Its ok. None of my photos are here, I meant that I had moved them. I kept the general principles of damp base, plenty of dry surfaces, topical lighting. I sometimes give them a warmer day, when i am home to monitor it, like many of my other guys.

They are very aware of being watched and they are sharp. Keeping them with other species would seem not be in the best interest of these astute wee folk.

My Nokia Lumia doesn't support my Flickr page. It won't let me add photos even. Maybe i can text them to you until i give in and get the apple or Samsung who knows which what i should get. I dont know if that is creepy totally understand if it is