Illegal frogs - Page 9 - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Science & Conservation
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree476Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #321 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2018, 08:49 PM
Spaff's Avatar
Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 2,350
Thanks: 14
Thanked 244 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

I mentioned this in the other post, but it's also pertinent to the discussion here:

This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm assuming the interviews from that article occurred during Frog Day this year. Kevin, Taron, and Alex were all vendors, and many of the statements from the article were made during Frog Day or at the hotel that weekend (Kevin told Ivan about him producing the 40 lehmanni and ~80 being attributed to his pair there, and this was the first time Ivan had heard of it.). My assumption is that the author picked three vendors to interview or they were all available to talk at the hotel before/after the event. I doubt she sought out the people she interviewed.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spaff For This Useful Post:
Woodswalker (12-03-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #322 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2018, 09:43 PM
MrBiggs's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 805
Thanks: 22
Thanked 76 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaff View Post
I mentioned this in the other post, but it's also pertinent to the discussion here:

This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm assuming the interviews from that article occurred during Frog Day this year. Kevin, Taron, and Alex were all vendors, and many of the statements from the article were made during Frog Day or at the hotel that weekend (Kevin told Ivan about him producing the 40 lehmanni and ~80 being attributed to his pair there, and this was the first time Ivan had heard of it.). My assumption is that the author picked three vendors to interview or they were all available to talk at the hotel before/after the event. I doubt she sought out the people she interviewed.
That sounds like journalism in today's world, I'll bet you're exactly correct.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
__________________
P. Auros, Terribs, RV Southern, Azureus, Sips
Iowa Froggers
Reply With Quote
  #323 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 1,740
Thanks: 89
Thanked 80 Times in 79 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarantulaGuy View Post
Taron is the only one in that article I'd object to after giving it a brief skim. Tesoros is like a beacon of good ideas in the hobby right now, and Kevin Hoff has been nothing but pleasant and knowledgeable to me the couple of times I've messaged him. Taron was only very briefly mentioned in that article though, on the whole, I'd say not bad? I honestly think they included him to present a 'neutral' face of representing both sides. But again, I only skimmed.
I meant to only reference him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodswalker View Post
Varanoid was not talking about all the people quoted. I think we can all agree on the one to whom we object.

That's disappointing to me, too. Given his history, it makes it all too easy to demonize hobbyists when they can point to him as an example of someone who talks a good game when the spotlight is on him, yet in reality, he and his practices are shady, to say the least. It's peculiar to me that he, of all people, was chosen to be in the article. There are other businesses in the hobby that are much more prominent than his, and his reputation is not that difficult to discover. I hope that he isn't somehow used to represent the average hobbyist.
Peculiar to me too. Someone said in another thread that they suspected the interviews took place at Frog Day since all the people that were interviewed were in attendance. It was a matter of convenience for the interviewer who clearly didn't do her homework on the people there. Otherwise he would not have been interviewed. Once again it sucks because it was an article on conservation that was supposed to highlight Tesoros, and instead discredited itself by quoting a person guilty of what we are trying to prevent in the first place.
__________________
Michael
Reply With Quote
 
  #324 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2019, 08:32 AM
thedude's Avatar
TWI/ASN
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,475
Thanks: 290
Thanked 168 Times in 116 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

So any news on this?

I've heard from a couple sources now that "this person" (do I really have to be cryptic about this POS?) is trying to bring in more blue galacts, as well as silverstonei, and mysteriosus....

Personally I think the hobby should stand together and petition USDF&W to block any of those animals from coming in, especially from the POS.
__________________
Adam Hess

Ranitomeya, Oophaga, Ameerega, and Phyllobates.
Reply With Quote
  #325 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Dane's Avatar
Mod
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,420
Thanks: 143
Thanked 229 Times in 175 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude View Post
So any news on this?

I've heard from a couple sources now that "this person" (do I really have to be cryptic about this POS?) is trying to bring in more blue galacts, as well as silverstonei, and mysteriosus....

Personally I think the hobby should stand together and petition USDF&W to block any of those animals from coming in, especially from the POS.
Keeping his name out of it may help in making it difficult for those interested in owning said species from contacting him. If what you say is true, then I agree that it might be time for another hornets nest to be dropped on his head via email & petition to USFWS.
a hill, varanoid and Ravage like this.
Reply With Quote
  #326 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2019, 07:12 AM
a hill's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tempe. AZ
Posts: 533
Thanks: 27
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

I haven't been on the forum in a while, so I just caught up on this epic of a thread!

I wanted to make a few notes although I'm a bit late to the party.

First off I think the average hobbyist is pretty unaware of just how many illegal frogs and furthermore animals are in the black market pet trade in the USA and this is a good thing. Its great to see the authorities coming in hard here, but anyone who has been around this hobby for long enough knows of people who are keeping "D. Xyz" and also people who legitimately do have OLD lines of frogs. It is also very easy to know the difference. In some respects, Galacts and things do not matter that are already commonly here, although their origins are not the best.

Not mentioned, is that dart frogs would be used as "filler" items on fish exports relatively commonly going way back. This is how many "illegal" old lines are said to have arrived, although the understanding is that most of these have now died out.

If anyone is still wondering how long Ed has been trying to inform people about these laws, you might like this link https://www.caudata.org/forum/archiv...p/t-38284.html He really is an amazing aid and champion of the hobbies.

Hopefully the rumored future import will fail as well. I just wonder about the frogs no one knows about that are coming in undetected.

-Andrew
Reply With Quote
  #327 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:11 PM
SoloSK71's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 210
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default We canít get away

I started collecting isopods as well as they are attractive and useful.

Imagine my surprise when I found this, which one of my suppliers said he was buying from. https://www.isopod.com/about

Solo
__________________
0.0.0 D. tinc Azureus
0.1.0 Velociraptor sp. micro furry purring
0.1.0 Amazing spouse
Reply With Quote
  #328 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2019, 12:37 AM
DPfarr's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: SACRAMENTO
Posts: 351
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Default

They are usually right next to one another at shows.
Reply With Quote
  #329 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2019, 01:10 AM
Socratic Monologue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central WI
Posts: 1,072
Thanks: 45
Thanked 131 Times in 126 Posts
Default Re: We canít get away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
I started collecting isopods as well as they are attractive and useful.

Imagine my surprise when I found this, which one of my suppliers said he was buying from. https://www.isopod.com/about

Solo
Yeah, he's going to be at NARBC Tinley Park; I'm glad I do research on vendors before heading out to the show.
varanoid likes this.
__________________
I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain'd.

- Whitman
Reply With Quote
  #330 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2019, 01:33 AM
SoloSK71's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 210
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: We canít get away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Yeah, he's going to be at NARBC Tinley Park; I'm glad I do research on vendors before heading out to the show.
I am glad I had some examples from this board to ask people I bought from who they got their supply from. And the self control to say no when I found out.

Solo
__________________
0.0.0 D. tinc Azureus
0.1.0 Velociraptor sp. micro furry purring
0.1.0 Amazing spouse
Reply With Quote
  #331 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2019, 04:03 PM
carola1155's Avatar
Mod
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 4,955
Thanks: 141
Thanked 368 Times in 286 Posts
Default Re: We canít get away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
the self control to say no when I found out.
Sadly, that seems to be a rare trait in this hobby...
Ravage likes this.
__________________
-Tom
Reply With Quote
  #332 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:33 AM
austin's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 732
Thanks: 41
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

Question here around the legality of A. galactonotus, the species not the various localities. When I read the first two posts I clearly find a sentence that states there was a recorded export of frogs to the US from Brazil for scientific purposes (115 individuals), so they have legally entered the US, no?



Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #333 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2019, 12:03 PM
MrBiggs's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 805
Thanks: 22
Thanked 76 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
Question here around the legality of A. galactonotus, the species not the various localities. When I read the first two posts I clearly find a sentence that states there was a recorded export of frogs to the US from Brazil for scientific purposes (115 individuals), so they have legally entered the US, no?



Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Scientific purposes does not allow for commercial trade.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
__________________
P. Auros, Terribs, RV Southern, Azureus, Sips
Iowa Froggers
Reply With Quote
  #334 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:26 PM
austin's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 732
Thanks: 41
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

I understand that, but they were legally imported so does that put them on a list of species with the agencies that are here legally? Has this complicated the would be confiscation of other subsequent imports?



Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #335 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2019, 03:34 AM
hypostatic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 2,399
Thanks: 118
Thanked 218 Times in 193 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
I understand that, but they were legally imported so does that put them on a list of species with the agencies that are here legally? Has this complicated the would be confiscation of other subsequent imports?
under current laws, there would be no legal imports of this species
Reply With Quote
  #336 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2019, 07:00 PM
bsr8129's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ontario Cali
Posts: 832
Thanks: 15
Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

So its been about 2 years since this first came up, and in this long thread there was "talks" of investigation and something is going to be done about this. any thing ever come from that? And guessing since there hasnt been any busts, or maybe i missed it, it would assume that blue glacs are here and they have been breeding for 2 years so there are potentially hundreds out there now?
narnythegreat likes this.
__________________
A few
Reply With Quote
  #337 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2019, 07:47 PM
Tijl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 343
Thanks: 37
Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Default

I think I have seen about 3-4hundred blue galactonotus offspring the last 2 years. Easy breeder ive been told.
__________________
Bastimentos,Citronella,Azureus,Hahneli,Patricia,Te rribilis,Escudo,Tumucumaque,Histrionica Bullseye.
Reply With Quote
  #338 (permalink)  
Old 09-25-2019, 07:08 PM
Dane's Avatar
Mod
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,420
Thanks: 143
Thanked 229 Times in 175 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsr8129 View Post
So its been about 2 years since this first came up, and in this long thread there was "talks" of investigation and something is going to be done about this. any thing ever come from that? And guessing since there hasnt been any busts, or maybe i missed it, it would assume that blue glacs are here and they have been breeding for 2 years so there are potentially hundreds out there now?
It can take a while for an investigation to actually go to court, and it wouldn't surprise me if the importer will still face charges. Yes, there could be dozens or hundreds of offspring out there in the US, but we all know who they came from, how they got into the states, and the stance of their country of origin on them being here. For most, that's enough reason to avoid them.
Reply With Quote
  #339 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2019, 02:45 PM
carola1155's Avatar
Mod
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 4,955
Thanks: 141
Thanked 368 Times in 286 Posts
Default Re: Illegal frogs

According to USFWS... There is still an active investigation.
__________________
-Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
taron langhover

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.