Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Regional Group & Event Announcements
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Poll Results: "Amazing Amphibians" Webcast attendance:
I will be there in person, I am going after Frog Day! 5 38.46%
I will watch the webcast, the live presentation/dinner was too expensive. 1 7.69%
I will watch the webcast (I could not make it to Frog Day) 4 30.77%
I will not be watching the webcast 0 0%
Other 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By frogface

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 04:18 PM

Default Webcast: Amazing Amphibians, May 14th 6 pm

"Amazing Amphibians: Science and Conservation" will be WEBCAST on MAY 14th, at 6 pm.

Click here to watch Amazing Amphibians 2011

If you have any experience webcasting with ustream (or using screencamera), or just want to help test this out before Saturday please private message me to help run a test broadcast later this week

If you love amphibians, you will love this conservation WEBCAST. The evening starts off at 6 pm with the keynote speaker Devin Edmonds talking about his project with Mitsinjo and its amphibian conservation mission in Madagascar. A brief break will be followed by additional presentations on amphibian conservation by Allysa Borek of the Bronx Zoo and Johnathan Kolby of Operation Wallacea. The proceeds from this event will go directly to supporting amphibian conservation via the Amphibian Ark Contributors will be able to vote on the specific project to support.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Webcast: Amazing Amphibians, May 14th 6 pm

Wonderful opportunity for those that cant make it in person....
The Following User Says Thank You to sports_doc For This Useful Post:
Matt Mirabello (05-08-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports_doc View Post
Wonderful opportunity for those that cant make it in person....
Yes! This will hopefully be the beginning of sharing national and global events with the International community of frog hobbyists and scientists.

Please spread the word!

Matt

Old 05-15-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mirabello View Post
Yes! This will hopefully be the beginning of sharing national and global events with the International community of frog hobbyists and scientists.

Please spread the word!

Matt
Did anyone on dendroboard watch the webcast. Ustream said ~88 unique computers watched over the course of the 3 hour event. I never saw more than 25 or 3o viewing at a given time.

We had soem trouble with audio for the first talk, once we realized it was due to a low quality audiocable the problem was fixed immediately and we hopefully had much better sound for the second two talks.

How was the video quality? We used software that allowed us to send the desktop view of the computer and then embed the webcam view in the bottom right corner. Were the images of good quality, was the text readable, was the webcam video useful for context or would the audio and powerpoint have been sufficient?

We are hoping to do more talks liek this in the future to bring together the frog hobbyist community at events even when peopel cannot physically attend.

thanks to all who supported it

Matt
Old 05-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mirabello View Post
Did anyone on dendroboard watch the webcast. Ustream said ~88 unique computers watched over the course of the 3 hour event. I never saw more than 25 or 3o viewing at a given time.

We had soem trouble with audio for the first talk, once we realized it was due to a low quality audiocable the problem was fixed immediately and we hopefully had much better sound for the second two talks.

How was the video quality? We used software that allowed us to send the desktop view of the computer and then embed the webcam view in the bottom right corner. Were the images of good quality, was the text readable, was the webcam video useful for context or would the audio and powerpoint have been sufficient?

We are hoping to do more talks liek this in the future to bring together the frog hobbyist community at events even when peopel cannot physically attend.

thanks to all who supported it

Matt
I watched the Devin Edmonds & Jonathon Kolby presentations, missed the other one. The sound quality was off and on etc., but I enjoyed them a lot, thanks! JVK

PS The video was terrible, couldn't read text etc.

Last edited by jkooiman; 05-15-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 PM

I missed it because I'm a dork and can't keep track of things

Would love to see this and would definitely tune in next time, assuming I don't forget again.
billschwinn likes this.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkooiman View Post
PS The video was terrible, couldn't read text etc.
I had a feeling it might be based on the tests I did. I still need to play around with the settings in ustream and the webcam software to figure out how to get better resolution.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 PM

I was only able to catch the presentation on the establishment of the captive breeding facility. The audio quality was perfect. The video quality...not so much. None of the text was legible and the images of the construction process, while not top quality, were far from horrible. The text not being able to be read really made the presentation hard to follow. I actually brought my laptop into the frogroom and tended to my tanks/frogs and just listened to the presentation, glancing over every now and then when there was a photo to view as opposed to a bunch of blurry text. All in all I am thankfull to have been given the opportunity to participate and will definately tune in next time.....especially if all the kinks get worked out. Thanks again Matt for putting forth the effort to connect the community, your hard work is definately appreciated.

Tags
amazing amphibians