@Socratic Monologue I hope you don't mind if I use your thread, since this is a post you specifically asked me to make :-)
Ranitomeya sirensis "Rio Pachitea yellow"
Some background: I purchased these frogs from understory enterprises in September 2019. I had an 18x18x24" tank setup exactly how I thought these mostly-terrestrial frogs would like:
Large mopani wood piece as a centrepoint, Manzanita pieces flanking it to create some additional climbing space and perching areas, bromeliads tucked in/around the wood pieces, and another bromeliad on a suction cup on the side wall, lots of leaf litter.
I put in 6 frogs at the recommendation of UE, and the frogs seemed ok with the tank, a lot of hiding, congregating in the bromeliads, pretty normal stuff for frogs that are new to the tank. After watching them for a few months (around Christmas time) I thought it was a bit weird that I almost NEVER saw them at ground level, so I started thinking about ways to make their enclosure more useful for them. I added more bromeliads, suction cupped to the side and back walls, added more leaf litter, thinking maybe that was the issue.
No change in behaviour, they still spent almost all their time in the bromeliads high above the ground/leaf litter, which again got me thinking about how to set the tank up for them.
I decided to repurpose an old tank I had around my house and start a new tank for them. I oriented the tank vertically, the dimensions are 18Lx12Wx36"H.
I used an exo terra styrofoam background, and cut a hole in it for a cup for egg depositing (this is actually on a side wall for the tank). I drilled holes and attached the broms into the background, creating essentially a wall of broms with plenty of open space between them.
I used a coco fiber mat to cover another wall and siliconed some cork bark onto it, including a couple of pieces set up as ledges.
I used the Manzanita pieces from their original setup to create some more useful space in the bottom third of the tank, the two pieces sort of cross each other. (This section of wood is where the fruit flies tend to congregate, and where the frogs go to forage.) Added some more plants at the bottom level including a couple that are fairly tall growing (supposed to grow up to 18-24"), but not super tall growing.
The next thing: lighting. Originally I was using a Sunblaster T5HO light on the tank, I decided to experiment and try a less bright light. I picked up a plant LED bulb from home depot and put it in a reptile lamp dome. I wasn't particularly worried about plant growth in this tank. The single light coming from above and shining through the bromeliads and other plants / objects gives a nice shadow/dappled sunlight look to the vivarium.
After the switch for the setup and to the less bright lights the frogs were MUCH more visible, way more active than before. There usually are at least 2 frogs out and about at any given time.
Some additional information:
The temperatures in the tank range from 68F at the bottom to 71F at the top (when the lights are on), I have my misting set up mist twice a day for 20 seconds, ambient room humidity is usually around 50% as measured by my cheap digital hygrometer.
They currently have 3 tadpoles in the water cups I have in the tank, and more eggs in the egg depositing cup. I'm contemplating removing the egg laying cup to get them to stop breeding, I don't need dozens of babies.
Frog on a ledge at the side
On the water dish:
Carrying a tad:
Now for the tank (if you look closely you can see one of the frogs emerging from the bromeliad)
A bad full tank shot: