No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By FrogTim
  • 1 Post By Phxnoah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2017, 10:04 PM

Default R. variabilis southern

I recently purchased 2, 3 month old variabilis southern. They came in looking healthy, but I thought they looked a little funny for being southerns. Their color wasn't as pronounced as it is with the southerns, they seemed a bit smaller than my other southerns (I already have 2 others in a viv, which I added these guys to), and their spots looked irregular. I'd just like some thoughts, I've already contacted the person who sold them to me, and he confirmed they were southerns. Right now I'm 99% they are southerns, but I figured I would post about this anyway.

All but 1 pictures are of the newly purchased southerns, I did a comparison in the first attachment of my new southern (top), to my old southern (bottom).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 469C2085-D377-4AAB-B647-837DB2D351AA.jpg (84.9 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0083.jpg (92.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0077.jpg (98.0 KB, 127 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2017, 12:41 AM

Default Re: R. variabilis southern

i mean, you can't tell from pics if they are highland or southerns... if he can give you "proof" if he got them from UE or something, that could confirm it
Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 AM

My southerns look a little different than others I've seen as well. My old pair produced mostly individuals with larger black spots than others I've seen. The typical spaced out spots only showed on a handful of offspring from them.

I'm glad you're concerned since ocassionally frogs get mislabeled. But there is also a high degree of variation with these. Some are more yellow, some more green, some darker blue, some blue/grey.
frogs.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Encyclia and Phxnoah like this.

Last edited by FrogTim; 10-25-2017 at 06:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrogTim For This Useful Post:
Phxnoah (10-25-2017)

Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogTim View Post
My southerns look a little different than others I've seen as well. My old pair produced mostly individuals with larger black spots than others I've seen. The typical spaced out spots only showed on a handful of offspring from them.

I'm glad you're concerned since ocassionally frogs get mislabeled. But there is also a high degree of variation with these. Some are more yellow, some more green, some darker blue, some blue/grey.
frogs.

Thanks for the feedback Tim, I've asked multiple people what they thought, and all but 1 have responded that they look like southerns. I hope they still have some room for growth, as down the line I'd like to see if they would be successful breeders, and I feel as if the bigger they are the better they could deal with breeding. I've got 4 southerns in the viv now, and one of them is already calling. All I can do is wait and observe.

Noah
FrogTim likes this.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:53 PM

Yea no worries. Southerns I've been breeding for almost 2 years (1pair) and they all come out different. I even have a froglet with back stripes as well as spots.

They do change as they get older. Colors and spots become more defined. I supplement with SuperPig. Not sure if it really helps but my frogs come out neon green/yellow.

Once had someone tell me mine looked more like highlands due to the lighter colored legs and bigger black spots.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:56 PM

And once they are old enough (~1year old), breeding shouldn't be hard. Mine i had to slow down they produced so much.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:21 AM

You can actually tell southern's vs typical via picture. southerns have larger, more random spots overall, more distinct color variety between body and legs and larger underbody spots.

Southerns are left and top respectively.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg variabilis_south_nominal1.jpg (99.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg variabilis_south_nominal1v.jpg (65.4 KB, 36 views)