Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Plants
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 08:15 AM

Default Few questions

I have the worst luck with moss. I first had java moss that ended up dead do to my flooring. so i redid my tank all over with the right flooring. I then pick some up at a local nurs shop thats looks alive but with some yellow till to it not much. But they couldnt tell me the right name of it only called it clumped moss. And then I bought some moss at petco, a worker there had it growing good in a tank of his . well after three days in my tank it turn yellow. the only thing that look good was the nus moss. or should i order moss frog a someone like black jungle ect.

I have a 10gal, fall, mister, high humid never blew 97%,good lighting,glass lid no opeing for air flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 12:15 PM

PDF,

Can you give us a little more information?

What is your substrate?
What do you mean by the right flooring?
What kind of lighting are you using? Itís hard to get a lot of light into a 10gallon tank without cooking things.
Do you know the pH of your substrate? Most mosses like acidic substrate.
What do you mean by Nus moss?

Iím wondering how you killed java moss. Unless you let it dry out it is almost impossible to kill. The common saying among killifish keepers is that it will grow in a closet.

I would try to be a little careful about where you get your moss. Buying it from someone at PetCo, who is presumably growing it in a frog tank, is not the safest thing to do. Itís very easy to transfer parasites and harmful bacteria from one frog tank to another.

Instead of keeping more species, why not do more with the species you keep?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:19 PM

Default more help

yes i did let the java moss dry out. i had a screen top, not anymore. Im going to purches java again thats for the help

yes one more question i have white and green mold growing on my wood in the tank is that bad.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:45 PM

mold is never good...and if its on the sidd....if it is humid enough it may be alage/....ive seen it grow on sides of vivariums
Old 01-05-2006, 08:58 PM

If you run a search on molding wood or something along those lines, your more than likely to find out that molding is a natural thing and is part of the woods natural cycle. Also I dont think its too hard to tell the difference between mold and algae, im sure you can handle it :wink: .
Old 01-05-2006, 11:03 PM

Moss can actually be very tricky to grow - and "good" lighting doesn't actually tell us anything useful, and "good" lighting might not actually good lighting for the moss. What is the "right" flooring (and by that I'm assuming you mean substrate)? Again, we need more specifics here - what the substrate is made out of, how moist it is, etc.

Mold is perfectly natural on wood in the tank (the place you don't want mold is in your FF cultures). The wood will go thru a cycle in the first couple weeks in the tank of pretty much being taken completely over by mold and this is normal. It will go away with time. This is one of the reasons you set up a tank weeks or months in advance of adding the frogs.

Another problem with the java - are you buying it from a source that kept it aquatically? If so the java moss will have to be transistioned a bit in the tank (kept sopping wet the first couple weeks) to help the plant adapt from aquatice to terrestrial. The other way is to set it at the edge of a pond in the tank, it will naturally spread terrestrially if the conditions are good enough for it.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:49 AM

Default thanks

ok so i looked at the wood again it stioll has white and green spots and now there is a lil plant that is growing out of it. crazy. ill take pics soon. well my gf picked me up some fluker's green moss from petsmart. she said she does not wont fake plants in my tank and the moss is the only thing they had that looked real. so she pick it up as an i love you gift. can i use this in my tank. like on back grounds and some parts where water wont hit it. i read it spoils fast when wet. so i was going to pick dry spots for it.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:54 AM

Default the plant growing on wood

heres the plant that is growing on the new pice of wood the little light green stick. its not coming out of the moss off the wood.

heres the mold growing all over. its green and white spots

Old 01-06-2006, 02:20 PM

PDF,

That looks like grape vine that you have in there. If so, it may stay moldy and decompose rapidly. Grapevine is not one of the woods that people typically use in viv construction.

As for the plant, If that is grape wood, where did you get it? If it was live wood, It may be sprouting grape leaves. I wouldnít expect grape to live long in a viv, but it may try to hang in there.

Instead of keeping more species, why not do more with the species you keep?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:36 PM

We've had some talks on the forum before about supplied dried moss and the only one you should use is Sphagnum moss. The flukers, Zoomed, etc dried mosses don't hold much moisture, breaks down quickly (and can really reek while doing so) and I think Flukers is the brand that is dyed green. Don't add it to your tank, you'll regret it.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:53 PM

Default thanks

well the wood tag say's drift wood. and the it says its been baked and cleand. i bought it at a pet shop. and if it is grapewood can i just leave it in there cause i think it looks great.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:14 PM

Neither the reptile drift wood (which is for desert critters) or grape vine will last more than a couple months in the viv. Thats one of the hardest parts about a rainforest environment - things break down so fast. There are only a handful of woods that will last in our vivs, you can find more information about them on the black jungle website.