Dendroboard banner

Found some nice broms

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  BlueRidge 
#1 ·
So we were at the Neptune Festival iin Va Beach this weekend and we came across a vendor who was selling air plants as singles and mounted to driftwood, etc. They had fountains and bird baths with them mounted to them as well. I asked the lady if she sold bromeliads by themselves and she walked me over to her trailer that was LOADED with broms and tillys, all gorgeous. She had neos too.

Apparently they live in FL and grow them, tons of them, for their craft shows. I told her I wanted them for frogs and she asked "why"? She never knew people wanted them for terrariums. Anyway she sold a bunch of them to me for $4 ea. Her website is 123airplants.com and she said if anyone wants to buy any just email her because they go to alot of shows. She has no problem shipping, but she doesn't list broms on her website but they have tons of them at the house, pups too.

Just figured it would help in a pinch if anyone couldn't find any.

#5 ·
While its always nice to hear of new bromeliad people, one would be better off purchasing their plants from other frog people or at least from vendors of this site who (should) have experience with dart frogs. Not only do you support the community this way but you tend to stay away from the various unknown variables from the growers without experience like... Insecticides they may use, getting plants not at all suited for dart frog vivs and things like that.

Good find though!

#6 ·
Thats all good but sometimes broms are hard to come by. I've been on a few sponsors sites and alot of species ahows "out of stock". I don't know if its because winter is coming but it's nice to have another source. These people grow thousands of them in the Florida sun and know what they are doing.

#14 ·
I'm not trying to start a battle, I was just attempting to say that people should look within the community first b/c its the best route for more than one reason.

Nothing wrong with finding new plant sources. Maybe you could be the one to teach them about frog safe bromeliads. I would definitely ask about her pesticides and all that just to be sure you're not getting anything with undesirable chemicals on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.