Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Plants
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 AM

Default 20g tall viv - lighting/circulation/plants advice

I am trying to finish up this 20 gallon viv to eventually house some incoming R. variabilis. It's the first real one I've put together, and I could really benefit from the amount of experience represented by the members of this forum!

It's using clay for the 3-sided background and I've got a tube embedded in it which will be used to feed the smaller siphon tube down to the false bottom under the gravel. Misting will be done via one 1/2 inch Mist King nozzle.

Up high I've got two mini orchids and a brom. On the floor there's the pepperomia, begonia, a jewel orchid, one brom, and a couple other misc things small pieces.

Now come the questions:

First of all, could these plants and this arrangement work well?

What kind of lighting requirements would be needed for these plants in a small tank like this?

How about air circulation needs? How much airflow or cfm is necessary? This seems like the toughest issue for me. With the 19.5 by 9.5 top, cutting vents for external circulation in addition to the two holes needed for misting and drainage seems like it would be crowding things. I was hoping to do a hinged lid with nothing drilled in the front 5 inches so I can lift it up for feeding. That leaves a 19.5 by 4.5 inch strip to work with. Is there a reasonably easy internal circulation solution you'd recommend? Maybe something like this: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...rculation.html. That thread doesn't mention what tank sizes it is good for.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 05:08 PM

Default Re: 20g tall viv - lighting/circulation/plants advice

I like the arrangement but I'd say you need a lot more broms particularly Neoregalias to give deposition sites if you are hoping to have your frogs breeding. The great thing is that you have a lot of places you could poke brom stolons into the clay background.

As for air circulation, you probably will want to use something like the in-tank system Poimandres makes. I plan on doing one for my 30 gallon X-tall I'm building. I've heard the mini orchids really like air circulation to thrive.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:27 AM

Default Re: 20g tall viv - lighting/circulation/plants advice

Thanks Vermfly, I'm looking into getting some Neoregalias on your recommendation. I know that I've seen several mini varieties somewhere that should fit nicely, now if I can just find them again.

I'm going to try my hand at constructing that internal circulation fan.

Tags
circulation, lighting, orchids