facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tijl
  • 1 Post By dartsinmanhattan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2020, 03:47 AM

Default Cleaning Brom on Rock

Hi All,

Just bought a bromeliad growing on a piece of lava rock for my dart frog viv for a wet area near my water feature. I figure the rock will keep the plant's feet dry. I plan on submerging it in r/o water overnight and then quarantining it for 4-6 weeks before I put it in the viv, but I was wondering what other ideas people might have as to what I can do to clean the rock itself, short of taking a chisel to it. From the pictures, it appears to have some moss and such growing on the surface of the rock, and I'm concerned about introducing pests into the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2020, 08:05 AM

I would be more concerned about the waterfeatures than the rock
Old 08-11-2020, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Cleaning Brom on Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartsinmanhattan View Post
Hi All,

Just bought a bromeliad growing on a piece of lava rock for my dart frog viv for a wet area near my water feature. I figure the rock will keep the plant's feet dry. I plan on submerging it in r/o water overnight and then quarantining it for 4-6 weeks before I put it in the viv, but I was wondering what other ideas people might have as to what I can do to clean the rock itself, short of taking a chisel to it. From the pictures, it appears to have some moss and such growing on the surface of the rock, and I'm concerned about introducing pests into the tank.
Look up co2 bombs. You can stick the whole thing in a tub with a co2 bomb and that will kill anything that can currently fly, crawl, slither, or otherwise move independently. I've heard that it doesn't always get eggs, so you should do it again towards the end of your quarantining period.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:27 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Look up co2 bombs. You can stick the whole thing in a tub with a co2 bomb and that will kill anything that can currently fly, crawl, slither, or otherwise move independently. I've heard that it doesn't always get eggs, so you should do it again towards the end of your quarantining period.
Eh, it doesn't always get larvae or adults, either; most subterranean life has extraordinary resistance to anoxia. Even if it did kill adults but not eggs, a person would have to know the life cycle of the target organism (we don't know what we're trying to kill in this case) to know how many CO2 treatments on what schedule to eliminate the target. Nor will CO2 eliminate fungal, bacterial, or viral pathogens.

Standard procedure to clean plants is a 10 minute soak in 10% bleach (that is, one part regular Chlorox in 9 parts water). I'm not sure how to alter that for a porous rock, though -- likely a longer soak, but I have no idea how long.

- Whitman
Old 08-12-2020, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the replies! I never heard of Co2 bombs, so I will definitely be looking into those for future reference. Might come in handy for delicate plants that wouldn't survive a soak.

I was under the impression that broms are one of the plants that are too delicate to use bleach on--am I wrong? Also, I would be afraid to soak lava rock since it is porous and I couldn't be sure all the bleach was gone before putting it in my vivarium. Unless anybody has an idea about how to ensure it's gone...
Old 08-12-2020, 10:08 PM
Mod

Broms are not delicate -- in fact quite the opposite.

I dechlorinate with Seachem Prime usually, though not if a plant won't see frogs immediately. You could just park it somewhere for a few days too if that would help you feel better.

- Whitman
Old 08-13-2020, 03:52 AM

Good to know about the broms and bleach. There's a plant processing procedure page on the Neherp site that I've been following since I set up my viv 3 years ago, and it says "This process is for non-sensitive flora only, and should not be used on many species of Bromeliads, Orchids, clippings, and other sensitive plants." Guess I'll try one and see how it goes.

Anyway, I just messaged the owner of the nursery where I got the brom and she told me I can wiggle the plant out of the hole in the rock--so I guess I can just temporarily remove the plant and boil the rock. Problem solved!

Once again, thanks for the info!
Socratic Monologue likes this.