• 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By Patterhorn
  • 1 Post By Terraformer
  • 2 Post By jgragg
  • 1 Post By vivlover10
  • 1 Post By jgragg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2020, 04:52 AM

Question Where to get larger bromeliads?

Hey all,

As I'm starting my auratus build and, later on, my pumilio build, I wanted to know where everyone is getting these big beautiful broms. The tank I had initially set up for pumilio (a 20 long, no longer using this for obvious reasons) is packed full of broms, they're just all small (all bought from Josh's or Glass Box) except for one that I bought on Etsy. I'm going to reuse these plants in my 40 Breeder Auratus viv and my future, much taller, pumilio viv, but I also want some big bromeliads to fill in space and provide cover and rearing spots for the frogs. Where is the best place to get them?

I'm also looking for good tropical moss or other moss suggestions to cover vivarium backgrounds. I have plenty of Java moss and Riccia, but am looking for more suggestions and where to get them.

Thanks!

Last edited by jcross; 07-28-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 06:38 AM

Rainforest Flora has some cool mini Neoregelia. Don’t get a larger Neoregelia for a terrarium <18” deep.

There’s some cool smaller Vriesa species too.

I’m growing some Quesnelia species in my tanks. Quesnelia marmorata Is really neat. Q. humilis as well.
varanoid and Stiles like this.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPfarr View Post
Rainforest Flora has some cool mini Neoregelia. Don’t get a larger Neoregelia for a terrarium <18” deep.

There’s some cool smaller Vriesa species too.

I’m growing some Quesnelia species in my tanks. Quesnelia marmorata Is really neat. Q. humilis as well.
Thanks for the advice! I guess I'm more looking for medium sized ones as the ones I do have now are very small. I'll check out Vriesea and Quesnelia!

Old 07-28-2020, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Where to get larger bromeliads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcross View Post
Thanks for the advice! I guess I'm more looking for medium sized ones as the ones I do have now are very small. I'll check out Vriesea and Quesnelia!
I bought mine from ebay. Its usually pretty easy to tell the difference between a pup, juvenile, and mature brom by picture. Mine was a mature plant and came with a pup ready to cut. A lot of folks don't want this as some broms can die after they pup. Mine is still going strong and threw another pup a few weeks ago which is still maturing on the mother plant.
jcross likes this.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:57 PM

I've gotten a few from bromeliads.com .
jcross likes this.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:57 PM

If you're in ontario I get large bromeliads from Metro grocery stores. They already have an inflorescence so i usually give em some time to push out pups and plant those.
jcross likes this.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:32 PM

Perv on this:
https://tropiflora.com/

These guys are super cool. Just be careful what you mean by "larger". You mean like six feet? Ha ha. But really, it could happen. You may want mini not micro, but you don't want "medium" let alone "large". Not when you're talking viv use.

Browse the site, then maybe give them a call and describe your general application (frog terrarium) and experience, and your specific set-up - viv size, lights, misting gear, etc. They can make sure you don't buy a few things that aren't suitable for cohabitation due to too-different cultural needs.

If you ever get down that way, an in-person visit is a consciousness-expanding experience. Holy shit they've got the goods.
varanoid and gonzalez like this.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:28 AM

I second the tropiflora and also recommend michaels bromeliads.

Im about 20 minutes down the road from tropiflora and plan on going tomorrow. I truly don't know if its a blessing or not, but my wallet sure hates me!
varanoid likes this.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:55 PM

Large is relative, and differs on whom you ask. There are some broms that are in the hobby already that have a pretty big spread. One that comes to mind for me is Neoregelia 'Winny the Pooh. I got a couple from glassbox that I am reluctant to use in any tanks I currently have due to their size.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Large is relative, and differs on whom you ask.
Exactly - sort of. Froggers are typically only looking at the super-small end of the spectrum. So relatively large for froggers is still actually small, when looking at the entire, axctual range of Bromeliaceae diversity. Even just the small slice that is commonly kept. There are some big-time plant nerds out there...Puya boo-yah.
varanoid likes this.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patterhorn View Post
I've gotten a few from bromeliads.com .
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how long did you isolate the plants (if at all)? They "spray and dip" with Safari SG20, a pretty intense pesticide I cant find half-life info for. I'm kind of wary about adding them to the viv
Old 09-04-2020, 01:09 PM
Mod

I have gotten some fantastic bromeliads from Larry Snow (I purchased through his Etsy store). He mainly deals in Neoregelia hybrids, but some of those can be plenty large enough for most vivaria. He will work with you if you ask for larger or smaller, etc.

Mark
Old 09-05-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgragg View Post
Exactly - sort of. Froggers are typically only looking at the super-small end of the spectrum. So relatively large for froggers is still actually small, when looking at the entire, axctual range of Bromeliaceae diversity. Even just the small slice that is commonly kept. There are some big-time plant nerds out there...Puya boo-yah.
Very true jgragg.