Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By jgragg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2020, 02:23 PM

Default Can I keep mosses with light loving plants?

This is a follow-on to this earlier question but perhaps the question I should have asked 1st. https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pl...lot-light.html
Thanks for putting-up with all my nooby questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Can I keep mosses with light loving plants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMac View Post
This is a follow-on to this earlier question but perhaps the question I should have asked 1st. https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pl...lot-light.html
Thanks for putting-up with all my nooby questions
In aquariums mosses can be a bit of pain to deal with because once they get algae in them it can be VERY difficult to get them clean again. Other plants you can just cut away affected leaves/stems but mosses.. not so much.

Vivariums do not have this issue in the same way. The only way you are getting algae is if you keep the affected plant wet pretty much all the time. Assuming you are not misting to that level then it won't be an issue.

Mosses can actually use a LOT of light. Some mosses can live just fine in direct sun for instance, if you want to see a lot of examples you can come look at some parts of my lawn ;P To put it in perspective, most folks are using lights on their vivarium that are putting down around 30-80 par/ppfd at substrate. The sun on the other hand puts out about 1600-2000 par/ppfd at ground level. Even in the shade its pretty common to see 100-600 par/ppfd.

So tl;dr yes moss will do just fine with higher light levels.
Tijl and LarryMac like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to minorhero For This Useful Post:
LarryMac (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 04:29 PM

Thanks and maybe it shows that I've been keeping aquarium for many years. Almost ready to get started.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:31 PM

Another way to answer - you would not have many candidates for happy mosses, if you were only growing low-light plants. A diversity of mosses that establish and do very well early in a viv's development, will often later sulk and even decline once the vascular plants have filled in and grabbed a lot of the light with their big leaves and long petioles.

So the answer to your current question is "Yes, but you'll need to control the big plants if you want the little guys to remain happy". Or just keep small plants with no or minimal spread - mini broms, mini orchids, small ferns like Microgramma vaccinifolia, etc.

Good luck!
LarryMac likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jgragg For This Useful Post:
LarryMac (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks and maybe it shows that I've been keeping aquarium for many years. Almost ready to get started.
You are among good company! A lot of folks here are also interested in aquariums. Keep asking questions, its how we learn!
The Following User Says Thank You to minorhero For This Useful Post:
LarryMac (07-03-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 02:59 PM

I meant to comment in the other thread that Cryptocorynes are also good wet feet plants. However, I don't know your plans, but dart frogs don't do so well with wet feet, so the kind of tank you seem to be headed toward might not be the best fit for most dart frogs. Again, not sure darts are in your plans (this is a dart frog forum, so it's not a huge leap ;-), but if they are, you need to be cognizant that they don't like extremely high humidity and wet substrate, in spite of what you may have come across in research elsewhere.

Best of luck,

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Encyclia For This Useful Post:
LarryMac (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
I meant to comment in the other thread that Cryptocorynes are also good wet feet plants. However, I don't know your plans, but dart frogs don't do so well with wet feet, so the kind of tank you seem to be headed toward might not be the best fit for most dart frogs. Again, not sure darts are in your plans (this is a dart frog forum, so it's not a huge leap ;-), but if they are, you need to be cognizant that they don't like extremely high humidity and wet substrate, in spite of what you may have come across in research elsewhere.
Best of luck,
Mark
Actually, this is a big revelation for me. I've read 70% - 100% humidity is ideal for most darts which I assume would make everything a little damp.

Last edited by LarryMac; 07-01-2020 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Actually, this is a big revelation for me. I've read 70% - 100% humidity is ideal for most darts which I assume would make everything a little damp.
Hmmm, quoting myself. I may be confusing humidity levels with standing water. My intent is to make it humid but not soupy if that makes sense.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:15 AM

Makes absolute sense. They are different things. 60-80% is great for humidity. Standing or moving water is where the problem can happen. It's not necessary for dart frogs to have open water of any kind. It was the kind of plants you were asking about in the other thread that raised the flag for me. Emergent plants with their roots in water is not the kind of tank that is good for dart frogs. A completely saturated substrate can cause infections in the frogs' feet. You want a good, well-drained substrate with a heavy layer of leaf litter on top for your darts. Drip walls, water falls, paludaria, moss on every surface - these are things that are not as good for your frogs but are eye-catching (at first; eventually most of these types of setups have to be redone) so lots of people are attracted to them because of bad information on the internet (hard to believe, I know).

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Encyclia For This Useful Post:
LarryMac (07-03-2020)