Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ashdavisa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 03:55 AM

Default Shopping Locally

I plan on shopping around my local nurseries when it comes time to add plants to my viv. Any tips before I just go perusing the aisles? I've got some Tinc tads that'll be housed in the same viv. Broms are obviously on the list. Any common ferns and vines that aren't hard to find offline?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 04:19 AM

I should add.. It's a 36x18x24 ExoTerra that will be misted as often as necessary.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Shopping Locally

Not sure what kinds of nurseries you'll be visiting, but don't shy away from the "fairy garden" section of garden centers. That's most likely where you'll find things like ficus pumila, peperomia, and smaller terrarium-suitable ferns. Rabbit's foot fern is another easy-to-find plant. Stay away from the outdoor tropicals- they're enticing, but boston ferns and dragon wing begonias aren't really suitable for vivariums. I've seen people try perennial groundcovers, coleus, and other bizarre, pretty bedding plants but they won't do well in the long run. Try to find plants that you'll be able to divide if you're comfortable with doing that.

Of course, if you're able to visit a nursery that propagates their own tropicals & houseplants (I can only dream of the opportunity) then you should have no issue finding a lot of the commonly (& maybe not-as-commonly) used plants!

Just be sure to wash everything well. Fertilizers & bugs are bound to be in the soil and the leaves are more than likely carrying pesticides, fungicides, bugs, or leaf shine.
minorhero likes this.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdavisa View Post
Try to find plants that you'll be able to divide if you're comfortable with doing that.
By this do you mean purchasing a plant and then parting it out into separate smaller plants? I really hoped this was an option as my funds will limit the number of plants I can buy.

From what I've read I'll be looking for tropicals calling for indirect or partial sunlight. There's a really interesting nursery in Denver called Tagawa Gardens. I remember a pretty extensive fairy garden section so I'll look over that area really well. Last year they had a well established, flowering passion fruit plant. Gorgeous flowers. I'll look into the plants you've listed. Hopefully most are in the beginner class. I'm not an idiot but I'm definitely a little ignorant when it comes to terrariums. Hopefully with enough reading here I can remedy that.

Thanks for the help and advice. I'll be back with more specific questions when I come home with plants.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Stoge View Post
By this do you mean purchasing a plant and then parting it out into separate smaller plants? I really hoped this was an option as my funds will limit the number of plants I can buy.
Yep. A lot of vines (f. pumila, pothos) tend to be grown from several plugs or cuttings that you can separate- or you can just take cuttings from a healthy plant and start new ones that way. A lot of ferns can just be chopped in half as well, just be sure each section has a decent amount of roots (and maybe trim back some of the foliage so it can focus on re-establishing itself).

Quote:
From what I've read I'll be looking for tropicals calling for indirect or partial sunlight. There's a really interesting nursery in Denver called Tagawa Gardens. I remember a pretty extensive fairy garden section so I'll look over that area really well. Last year they had a well established, flowering passion fruit plant. Gorgeous flowers. I'll look into the plants you've listed. Hopefully most are in the beginner class. I'm not an idiot but I'm definitely a little ignorant when it comes to terrariums. Hopefully with enough reading here I can remedy that.
Tagawa's great, they were a supplier for the garden & landscape center I worked at for several years. Always fantastic plants. Should be a really cool place to visit!

And yeah, indirect/part shade is what you want! That's generally what most houseplants need. Most plants you'll come across are pretty tough (of course, everyone seems to have the one thing they can't get to thrive- mine's peperomia). Poor drainage is probably the #1 killer of terrarium plants, so as long as you have that down and don't let your ferns dry out, I have faith that you'll be successful!
Old 06-02-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I plan on shopping around my local nurseries when it comes time to add plants to my viv. Any tips before I just go perusing the aisles? I've got some Tinc tads that'll be housed in the same viv. Broms are obviously on the list. Any common ferns and vines that aren't hard to find offline?
I sent you a private message.