Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NICKP
  • 1 Post By ashdavisa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2020, 12:37 AM

Default The sphagnum/skewer method... will these plants work?

Iím thinking of rearranging some plants in my viv and was wondering if the method of wrapping the roots with sphagnum and using skewers to mount to the background would work with these specific plants... the plants Iím considering moving are a neon Pothos, a philodendron scandens, a peperomia cubensis, and a mahogany fern. I would only be moving one of these to fill in a bald spot in the top corner of the vivarium. Itís near the open portion of screen and would probably be in the most ventilated/dryest area of the vivarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dendromom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 03:25 AM

Default Re: The sphagnum/skewer method... will these plants work?

Out of those you mentioned, I'd go for the peperomia. It can stand to dry out a bit and will trail rather than cram itself up into the corner. The pothos would be my second choice because they're so versatile, but they do tend to grow more upright when light is directly above them.

The fern & philodendron scandens will both suffer from being able to dry out, but I suppose if kept moist the philodendron would also look lovely trailing down & across the back
NICKP likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ashdavisa For This Useful Post:
NICKP (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the response,

I have started thinking I might just let things grow for a while and train a Peperomia scandens that is already up on the left wall over that way and onto the big cork tube. Hopefully the Philodendron scandens will climb up there as well. I am all over the place lol. I originally had moss on top of the cork tubes and ghostwood but have moved it over onto the sides of the background. The inhabitant will most likely be a crested gecko so I didnít want the moss to establish itself near an area that will end up being more ventilated in the future. Now it looks a bit naked though... Do Pothos climb on their own or do they need some support? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-23-2020, 07:23 PM

If they have a good vine started, pin it to the wall in the direction you want it to fill in. They'll grab on (the pothos & philodendron, at least- I have pretty limited experience with peperomias) and keep growing up & along that surface.

Just watch your humidity if you're trying to keep moss alive in a crested gecko enclosure. It needs somewhat high, consistent humidity to thrive but that could cause respiratory issues for the gecko. A gecko-centric forum may be able to offer more insight on that aspect, though!

And, personally, I think it's better to start off a little bare and let the plants fill in. Building a lush, grown-in looking vivarium is great until the plants actually grow in and crowd each other (and animals) out.