• 1 Post By PBM3000
  • 1 Post By Encyclia
  • 3 Post By Broseph
  • 1 Post By Broseph
  • 1 Post By Woodswalker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 05:19 PM

Default Best tropical mosses

Can people list best mosses for viv and sources please! Was hoping to find a sticky somewhere.
Thanks!

Last edited by hannamaxgracie; 01-10-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Best tropical mosses

i have used dusk moss mix but i find it grows slowly but aquarium mosses are great for vivariums thy like the moisture and grow well and are hardy java moss is a favourite i would recommend just getting some that you like the looks of that will go well in your tank and try it
Old 01-12-2020, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Best tropical

Hereís what I currently know of an have used with tiny reviews.

Dusk moss: probably the most talked about mix. It does grow moss. Takes about 6 weeks to see noticeable growth. At 6 months it gets very dense. Iíve hade random ferns, a unknown begonia and ugly grass pop up. Easily pulled and only a few blades. Needs to remain saturated at all times while establishing.

Neherp slurry: comes wet, noticeable growth in 2-4 weeks lush growth at 4 months. Decent moss, looks somewhat like a lighter colored aquatic species and sphagnum. No noticeable other oddball plants.

Ferns frogs moss graffiti: 6-8 weeks before noticeable growth. Only 3 months in now but itís filling in nicely. By far the nicest of all the mixes. It has sprouted some random bladderwords, and I think possibly a butterwort. Itís mosses are bright green and fine. Also lower growing mosses. Takes longer compared to other 2 but so far itís been worth the wait.

Aquatic mosses

Java moss: tends to branch a bit, sends out runners which branch up and coat wood, and wet areas.

Christmas moss: makes fern like pattern it is like one little branch with multiples coming off of form a triangular shape.

Flame moss: grows upright in single blades sometimes curly or wavy. Lighter green than the others.

Peacock moss: larger, it looks just like Christmas moss.

weeping moss: kind of like peacock and Christmas with a sagging Ď drooping growth. Great for cascading look over wood.

Riccia: not really a moss, itís a bladderwort which is bright green looks like tiny little stag horn ferns. Clumps and spreads well. Great for ground cover tree fern, and wood.

My favorite is to take all the mosses above which I keep in my fish and shrimp tanks place in a blender with ro water distilled works as well, and blend it so they are chopped up a bit.. not green juice chopped but enough so that they are tiny pieces. Then spread where I want moss. Because itís all alive it tends to grow in fairly quick;y.. 4 weeks youíre getting growth, and starts filling in at 6 weeks.

Not sure that all the mosses actually take, but I think giving a good mix letís what is strongest survive where it wants. I defiantly notice different moss types taking hold in different levels of light.
RyanD, Encyclia and scrumpydc like this.
Bigfrog (01-12-2020), hannamaxgracie (01-14-2020), RyanD (01-15-2020)

Old 01-12-2020, 08:08 AM

Bladderworts are not a bryophyte. You mean liverwort, or the Marchantiaceae.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:29 PM

Bear in mind that Weeping Moss, although quite an attractive species, does not generally attach itself to wood or hardscape. Certainly doesn't in my experience.

If I may link to a thread on another (aquatic) forum, here's a consensus of those which do and don't: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/m...dscapes.41464/
Encyclia likes this.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:57 PM

My favorite is just whatever volunteer mosses (and liverworts, and...) that grow off my wood over time. I have never had a lot of success with encouraging that type of ground cover to grow where I want it to without keeping the tank too wet and bright for the frogs. I like what just grows by itself in the conditions that I know the frogs do well in.

Mark
Broseph likes this.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:09 PM

I personally favor Java moss, since it grows differently depending on the tank's conditions and its placement. I'm trying Dusk moss mix for the first time in all of my tanks, since I've always been curious about it.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:50 PM

Iím like Encyclia; I think I keep my vivs too dry for mosses etc. And I usually go for a tight bright canopy with a dark understory. And by ďgo forĒ I mean thatís how the plants usually end up and Iím too lazy to change it.

Except for stupid sphagnum- I cant seem to get rid of that stuff. And it never looks great and grows too fluffy. Stupid sphagnum.
Encyclia, Tijl and hannamaxgracie like this.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:46 PM

I am intrigued by the moss graffiti so will look that up! I picked up some peacock fern at the local petstore and do need to get some java moss.

Thanks for the info!!
Old 01-14-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannamaxgracie View Post
I am intrigued by the moss graffiti so will look that up! I picked up some peacock fern at the local petstore and do need to get some java moss.

Thanks for the info!!
I share the opinion that if you want a moss terrarium, the terrarium is not suited for dart frogs because it needs to be kept to moist.

The peacockfern is a realy good choice for a vivarium, it grows like crazy here!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijl View Post
The peacockfern is a realy good choice for a vivarium, it grows like crazy here!
It's funny, I've never been able to get Selaginella to grow (that's what you guys are talking about, right?) Everyone says it grows like crazy but mine always dies.
Tijl likes this.
Old Today, 04:53 PM

If you hand mist only the spots on your background where you want your moss to grow, you can still keep the general humidity from getting too high, but it's more high maintenance this way.
Tijl likes this.
Old Today, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
It's funny, I've never been able to get Selaginella to grow (that's what you guys are talking about, right?) Everyone says it grows like crazy but mine always dies.
yes, weird. here it grows like crazy