Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Plants
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2019, 04:13 PM

Default Prep for plant on driftwood

I have a small spot in my dart viv near my waterfall that is too wet for planting, so I ordered an Anubius nana petite on driftwood that I plan to put there. My question is how do I prepare it? Obviously, I can't soak a piece of wood in bleach solution. I was thinking of just giving it a good brushing and soaking in R/O water overnight...any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Prep for plant on driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartsinmanhattan View Post
Obviously, I can't soak a piece of wood in bleach solution.
Umm...why not?

- Whitman
Old 11-30-2019, 05:08 PM

Won't the bleach soak into the wood?

Old 11-30-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
In ten minutes? I guess, maybe a little. You'll be dechlorinating afterwards anyway, I presume, or putting it in a holding area for a day or two to let the chlorine evaporate?

- Whitman
Old 12-01-2019, 12:40 AM

Some people bake wood in the oven. Can't remember the time/temperature off hand. Personally I have just used wood untreated, but that's at your own risk of course.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropkick99 View Post
Some people bake wood in the oven. Can't remember the time/temperature off hand.
The OP is trying to figure out how to clean a piece of wood with a plant mounted to it.

- Whitman
Old 12-09-2019, 08:26 PM

I read the situation as "has a new, as-yet unused piece of wood, has biosecurity concerns, is looking for a nondestructive way to kill whatever wee beasties may be present". No plants on it yet.

So there's heat, there's desiccation, there's chemicals, and I guess there could be UV. To inconvenience beasties that may have impregnated into the wood, I'd aim for heat or chemicals and pass over desiccation and UV.

Quote:
Quote:
Obviously, I can't soak a piece of wood in bleach solution.

Umm...why not?
+1 - why not? What assumption are you making, or what unvoiced constraints do you suffer? If the former, please revisit; if the latter, please share so that we may better provide the advice you seek.

Quote:
Sure it will, if you just give it long enough. Truly now, see that as a feature, not a bug. Besides chlorine bleach there are various other liquid biocides you could use.

Quote:
Some people bake wood in the oven. Can't remember the time/temperature off hand. Personally I have just used wood untreated, but that's at your own risk of course.
I've done the wood bake. Good way to stink up the house. Nowadays I just go untreated, based on what I use - dead juniper branches that have been sun-blasted and desert-dried for, oh, decades typically. Anything that has been in fresh water, I'd view as potentially threatening and treat one way or another. (My ways are usually time-intensive and effort-minimizing.)

Anyway - for you, I'd suggest a good long soak in a killing solution, then a rinse of equal duration in fresh water. Depending on your branch-mounting technique, you may (or may not...) need to let the branch dry out before mounting in your viv. If that's a problem, you could follow up with some time in the oven. Which would be good anyway - steam is a great killer.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2019, 05:21 PM

I've re-used a number of pieces of wood several times. Before each use, I soak in bleach-water, then soak /rinse well in fresh water, and allow to dry for several days. No problems.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:04 PM

Back to the original question: How to sanitize a piece of wood with a living plant on it.
I would think that if it came from a reputable dealer, you could just use it because it was already acclimated to an artificial environment (either aquarium or vivarium). However, if you bought it off Ali Baba, you should probably clean it.
Was it cultivated immersed(underwater) or emersed (On land)? Anubius nana can be grown either way, but it's leaves will be developed slightly differently: emersed with be tougher, immersed will be softer, due to the environments and gas exchange requirements of each.
You can bleach a land vascular plant in the 10% bleach solution for 10 mins followed by a de-chlor dip and then plenty of freshwater flushing. It helps to soak the plant in freshwater for 20 minutes before the bleach bath to make sure it is fully hydrated and minimize bleach absorption into the plant tissue.
The pests you are trying to kill are on the surface and/or living in cracks.
You could do the same with an underwater specimen, but since the leaf membrane is more open in an underwater leaf, I would suggest using potassium permanganate- a strong oxidizer and often used in aquariums with no damage to plants. Use a similar protocol, mix the P. permanganate to a deep pink color in the soak- if it's dark purple it's too strong, pour some out and dilute. Sorry about the subjective description of dilution, it's been a while since I've used it for plants.
Water soak, Cleanser soak, rinse, install.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
with a living plant on it
Ah, right, my bad. Too much in a hurry I guess. Sorry, OP. Maybe my nattering will still prove useful in some other application.

Quote:
It helps to soak the plant in freshwater for 20 minutes before the (whatever chemical) bath to make sure it is fully hydrated and minimize bleach absorption into the plant tissue.
This point is worth emphasizing. Get the plant tissues filled up with clean water before exposing it to any biocidal solution. Doing so will reduce uptake of the biocidal solution into living plant tissues, which are not your treatment target.

good luck!