Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kimcmich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 10:34 PM

Default Planting Bromeliads - Orientation

If this is a dumb question, I apologize. I feel like it's such a minor thing that no one sees any reason to say it.

When I planted two bromeliads, I simply put them each into a naturally occurring hole in a piece of mopani. They seem to be doing well enough, but they are not oriented with the opening straight up. One is up and slightly diagonal, and I think that one is fine, but the other one is a lot more horizontal. I mist a couple of times a day, and shoot a jet of water into each brom to rinse it out and leave some water sitting inside.

Will the wayward brom gradually grow to orient the right way? I can see that it is growing roots into the wood, so I feel somewhat confident that it's doing OK. If it's doomed to do poorly due to the orientation, I'd rather fix it before it gets too enmeshed with the mopani.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Planting Bromeliads - Orientation

Greetings,

Your diagonally-oriented brom will survive - but you really should place broms as close to vertical (the center of their rosette opening vertically) as possible. A non-vertical brom will start to stretch and twist in an attempt to orients its leaves toward the light - if it's very young that might be fine. A more mature plant will end up with the new leaves growing out toward the light and the different planes of leaf growth will not look good.

A non-vertical brom will also not keep pools of water in the center and lateral leaf wells reducing the space for tadpoles (if you keep phytotelmatic breeders).

I use a clear cord designed for necklace making to mount broms. It is slightly stretchy, doesn't decompose in the viv and grips better than fishing line. Using cord frees you from relying on pre-existing notches in your wood - instead allowing you tp pick the best spots for the plants. Here's the product I use: https://www.michaels.com/stretch-mag.../10030784.html
GreenAcres likes this.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:58 PM

Thank you. I'll move the horizontalish one tonight. I believe I have some of that beading cord.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:23 PM

I tried tying and didn't do very well with that, but then I discovered that by moving the wood to a different angle, I was able to mount the broms vertically. I think they'll be fine now. Thank you for your help. I suspected that was going to be the case, but I couldn't find anything that said it and I thought they might be able to correct themselves through growth.