Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Encyclia
  • 1 Post By jgragg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2019, 03:13 PM

Default What are the best broms for Darts??

Ive been keeping Darts in very simplistic "vivaria" for several years now and never had much luck keeping broms alive. What are the best Broms for high humidity, no airflow and with cups for tads?? Ive killed numerous broms. Ive saved a few by pulling them out and letting them "dry out" by accident. Thanks, David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 03:29 PM

Default Re: What are the best broms for Darts??

I am not sure any broms would do well long-term with "no airflow." All of mine like to be able to dry out a bit between mistings.

Why would you have a tank for darts set up with no airflow? Darts do a lot better with at least some airflow, and can tolerate much more depending on the external conditions and how the tank is set up. If the conditions are too humid for broms, I wouldn't think that darts would be all that happy, either. Lighting is another factor to consider if you aren't having good luck with broms, but it sounds like the constant humidity might be the overriding factor.

Mark
Socratic Monologue likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Encyclia For This Useful Post:
David Kurn (Today)
Old 09-05-2019, 03:37 PM

I do have air flow consisting of vents at the top but I know some of the more advanced set ups have fans that are more "breeze like". Thanks David

Old 09-05-2019, 03:58 PM

I have adequate lighting also. My other plants ie.. pothos and philodendron grow fine. I think I just buy the wrong species of broms. Thanks David
Old 09-05-2019, 04:50 PM

Pothos and many Philodendron seem pretty tolerant, especially of low airflow. I have Philodendron scandens cuttings I put in a couple of airtight, corked Dollar Tree bottles, and they just take right off. Another bottle has had a Golden Pothos in it for 2 years, unopened.

You won't need fans if you can open up some passive ventilation. Is it possible for you to open the tops a little, or is that not possible? Could you show us a photograph or two of the setup? We may be able to figure out something.

Which kinds of bromeliads are you keeping? If you don't know the name, could you describe what they look like?
Old 09-05-2019, 04:54 PM

Hey David, how do you place your broms? Directly in the dirt or mounted to the wall or a log?

Some do fine is well draining soil but most need to "dry" as in the roots do not like to be soaked constantly. In my tank I have about 7 broms. Two are directly in the soil and do fine, others I have mounted to my logs. They will quickly grow air roots to get moisture from the air.

I also have no fan setup but I have a large tank, if you check my previous post below you will see where I placed my broms in the beginning...

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/me...ml#post3068986

The little green ones up front are doing great directly in soil/fluval. However the big red one in the back began to die and turn green (which is a sign of lack of light) I moved it to a hole in the top of one of the stumps and now it is doing great.

I guess in the end it is different for every tank/person/setup but I recommend going on etsy and finding one of the main brom sellers and ordering a pack of broms that you dont mind killing. I believe I have seen some with 10-15 pups for $50. Place them around your tank and just watch then, if they are growing new leaves out of the center then they are fine. If the leaves are curling then try moving them.

Apologies for the wall of text that does not really give you a concrete answer but hopefully it helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Teletom For This Useful Post:
David Kurn (Today)
Old 09-05-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kurn View Post
I have adequate lighting also. My other plants ie.. pothos and philodendron grow fine. I think I just buy the wrong species of broms. Thanks David
What lighting are you running on what size viv? Pathos, many 'philodendron' grow in really, really low light, so that really isn't a good reference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
David Kurn (Today)
Old 09-07-2019, 12:56 AM

I had a 29 H I just tore it down to house my Neurergus kaiseri larvae.
A little background the Viv was 10 years old. I had crushed limestone as a "drainage layer". I did not have a barrier in place. My substrate consisted of dirt, sticks, bark and leaves. The substrate was always saturated to the point that I even had a "vernal pool" in a low spot that I would sometimes suck the water out with a turkey baster.
The Broms I would buy at Lowes or home depot and they would always be potted so I would plant them in the substrate. I used a shoplite for light which was raised to also act as a light source for the area. Needless to say when I dumped the viv, it was stone soup. Springtails and auratus actually did well in it isopods and broms not so well.
Im currently doing a new build with a 40 breeder. Im using home made ABG, currently waiting for the tree fern bark to arrive. . Using hydroton for drainage and a double layer of fiber glass screen for a barrier. I will try to attach the broms to wood instead of planting. Thanks David
Old 09-07-2019, 08:03 PM

Hmm. The only bromeliad I have from Lowe's has survived a couple of years, but it's in an Exo Terra tank from my primitive vivarium-building years that still has its original screen top attached. In other words, very high ventilation.

I have kept Neoregelias alive in pretty low ventilation, but not no ventilation.

I'm concerned about your substrate setup. It's good that you are going to use a barrier, and hydroton is probably an improvement, but having a saturated substrate sounds like a problem. I don't know nearly as much about frogs as the other users here, but that doesn't sound like a great environment for frogs to live in. I would consider making a tube through the substrate to siphon water out of the drainage layer, or drill a hole for automatic drainage through a bulkhead + tubing.

It would be a good idea, if you have been putting plants into your setups without cleaning them up, to wash off the dirt / substrate that they were in when you bought them. This seems to me to be truer with plants from big stores like Home Depot / Lowe's than from dedicated, small-scale businesses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kinstrome For This Useful Post:
David Kurn (Today)
Old 09-08-2019, 03:09 AM

For siphon access. Im going to leave a corner with gravel over the barrier so I can just peel back the corner of the barrier and siphon
Old Yesterday, 01:06 AM

Okay. It might be easier in the long run to make a pipe out of a small PVC tube that goes into the drainage layer, then conceal it with some kind of natural vivarium item. The reason I say this is that your method of lifting up gravel each and every time you want to siphon water out could get unpleasant after a while.

I do not, however, know your setup as well as you do. If a standpipe like I just described won't work for you, you can disregard that part.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kinstrome For This Useful Post:
David Kurn (Today)
Old Today, 12:55 AM

Im thinking I may have to drain it once every 2 to 4 weeks since Im low tech and will hand mist, Thanks, David
Old Today, 01:12 AM

Alright then, there's no mystery how you're killing broms. You've been drowning and smothering them. Either get them out of the "floor" substrate (and onto a background or some branches), or drain better and water less. Seriously, if you give them appropriate conditions, broms are tough, tough plants.

I've been around this topic with a few guys here, and some disagree with me for some reason or other - perfectly valid to them, not very convincing to me - but I will always tell a guy to just drill and drain. Forget the siphon. Just remember to dump your bucket every month or so. Do this, and you should be virtually unable to drown another plant.

One factoid that might interest you - I get the fattest brom bases (which I take an an indication of happy broms) when I plant them along the top of a "cracked cork mosaic", specifically where I've used half-rounds of cork along the top of the mosaic, and back-filled those half-rounds with ABG. Plant into that ABG and you've got the happiest crankin' broms you ever did see. Just leave enough "freeboard" above the top row of cork, to fit the plants below your screen. Or, silicone on really thin pieces of cork above the planting row. Personally, I like it clear up there so I can look into the tank from the side - I like to put my half-rounds on the viv ends, and run my actual background (rear of the viv) up closer to the screen. That way I can do a drip wall on the back, and just mist the broms on the sides. I can have moss on the back, and broms on the side, and nobody's unhappy. Something to ponder...works for me.

Good luck!
Socratic Monologue likes this.