Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 12:59 AM

Default Update week 2!

Hello, friends! A bit has happened since last weeks update. I've added 2 new plants and arranged a few others. Still waiting on 2 more plants that I was really hoping would arrive today, but I don't think they have even shipped yet. The only plant not doing well in the Dryadella cristata. Don't know what it wants. Lot of mold growing in hidden areas, still trying to get springtails but apparently I have the worst luck with them.

Anyway, here we are.

Last edited by astrophora; 07-26-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 01:03 AM

Default Re: My Orchid Vivarium.

I can see so much progress in this photo, it looks livelier now compared to the first attachment that you made.
astrophora likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcknzAlex For This Useful Post:
astrophora (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcknzAlex View Post
I can see so much progress in this photo, it looks livelier now compared to the first attachment that you made.
Agreed! Can't wait to see what it looks like once it's filled, and once they all start blooming! Tried to get orchids with a range of color in their blooms, so it should add some pazzazz to it.

Thank you!

Old 07-30-2019, 10:23 PM

Thumbs up Re: My Orchid Vivarium.

Wonderful post, thank you very much, and it looks lovely!

I have only just started with dendro's and am in UK, so will have to find alternative suppliers, but shows what can be done with my 5 different vivariums.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:07 PM

Hello friends.

I know I didn't update thursday for week 3. That's because I had to make a lot of changes in terms of which plants to put in and which to keep out.

This is the current state of the vivarium. Everything is still going well, the springtails are establishing themselves and the plants continue to have tremendous growth. I will provide a much more in depth update this Thursday for the one month "anniversary." It was also be the final planting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2019, 04:04 AM

Love this! I’m just starting to set up a vivarium and planning on putting d azureus in there, so focusing on the masdevallias (othello, veitchiana, and tovarensis). I also have a ceratostylis eria and bulbophyllum thaiorum that I think will like it in there. Will fill with moss, broms and piper/peperomia and other appropriate herbs (I have some small diffenbachia I just cut and am propagating).

I have some montane Vietnamese dendrobiums (trantuanii and thinhii) that I think will do well in a vivarium setting but would love to hear other opinions. They would like the 65-68 winter and 72-78 summer temps in the house here in the PNW (US).

I also am planning on setting up a second vivarium with Madagascan orchids and some Mantella in a few months.

Will love to follow what you are getting in terms of humidity and temps, and growth 🙂
Old 10-22-2019, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Update week 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophora View Post
Hello, friends! A bit has happened since last weeks update. I've added 2 new plants and arranged a few others. Still waiting on 2 more plants that I was really hoping would arrive today, but I don't think they have even shipped yet. The only plant not doing well in the Dryadella cristata. Don't know what it wants. Lot of mold growing in hidden areas, still trying to get springtails but apparently I have the worst luck with them.

Anyway, here we are.

Not that I am massively experienced member here, but I had a mold outbreak very early on in my Viv. It killed a few plants but after the Viv stabilized it never came back. I did use some hydrogen peroxide to kill the mold.

Joshs frogs sells both springtail cultures as well as media and “spring to life” food.

Using those three things and a container I created a MASSIVE springtail culture:

You can’t see in the pic but the entire surface is absolutely covered in them. This is about 7 months old and I regularly add them to the viv.

Good luck with the orchids. How do you plant/contain them, and do you get spikes?

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidsnfrogs View Post
Love this! I’m just starting to set up a vivarium and planning on putting d azureus in there, so focusing on the masdevallias (othello, veitchiana, and tovarensis). I also have a ceratostylis eria and bulbophyllum thaiorum that I think will like it in there. Will fill with moss, broms and piper/peperomia and other appropriate herbs (I have some small diffenbachia I just cut and am propagating).

I have some montane Vietnamese dendrobiums (trantuanii and thinhii) that I think will do well in a vivarium setting but would love to hear other opinions. They would like the 65-68 winter and 72-78 summer temps in the house here in the PNW (US).

I also am planning on setting up a second vivarium with Madagascan orchids and some Mantella in a few months.

Will love to follow what you are getting in terms of humidity and temps, and growth 🙂
A lot has happened since I last posted in August. The biggest issue is finding orchids that survive the introduction into the viv. I stopped trying to do a nighttime drop because it was using SO much water. For humidity, almost always 80% or so. Temps pretty much sit between 65F-80F, but if it gets extra cold outside, they will drop into the 50s, which is awesome. Winter will be blooming season. As for growth, everything that is still alive has grown well. The lepanthes and Masdevilla all have a stupid amount of growth. Many many many new leaves.

Good luck on your viv, sounds like it will be nice! Just make sure those bulbophyllum don't have a dormancy, and be sure to have lots of airflow!
The Following User Says Thank You to astrophora For This Useful Post:
orchidsnfrogs (10-23-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylentgreentea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophora View Post

Anyway, here we are.

Not that I am massively experienced member here, but I had a mold outbreak very early on in my Viv. It killed a few plants but after the Viv stabilized it never came back. I did use some hydrogen peroxide to kill the mold.

Joshs frogs sells both springtail cultures as well as media and “spring to life” food.

Using those three things and a container I created a MASSIVE springtail culture:

You can’t see in the pic but the entire surface is absolutely covered in them. This is about 7 months old and I regularly add them to the viv.

Good luck with the orchids. How do you plant/contain them, and do you get spikes?

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is the airflow like in your viv? Springtails won't completely eliminate it. The best way to prevent mold outbreak is lots of air flow! Make sure those fans are running! They don't have to be constant, but they need to be often. Mine go for one minute on, two minutes off.

Springtails are a blast, though. I have 6 different species in separate cultures and love them all.

Hope you can get things worked out 🙂
orchidsnfrogs likes this.