Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Plants
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2019, 01:26 AM

Default Does anybody here keep a "plant bank"?

The term is a little silly-sounding, so I'll explain what I mean.

What I mean is a fairly large enclosure or tank that isn't intended as a display tank and thus isn't constrained by the need to be aesthetically pleasing. It's just a storage place for plants you have that you may one day put in a different vivarium.

If, for instance, you go to a plant show, or order some plants on a whim, or because they're rare and about to disappear --- but you don't have anywhere to put them --- in that case, you can put them in this bank so they can survive and perhaps propagate.

Of course, this has to be a big enclosure, because plants of all different kinds have all different needs. I don't know exactly how big, of course, but I imagine pretty darn big, if you're an avid vivarium-builder. But a little creativity would help, I imagine; you could create shade by the epiphytes for lower-light plants on the bottom, for instance. (But I guess that's not really any different than a normal vivarium.)

I'm saying all this, but I'm not at the stage where I need this kind of thing, nor do I know all the conditions that would need to be met to keep so many different plants alive or the feasibility of the idea. I also just wanted to see if this is already a thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Does anybody here keep a "plant bank"?

I typically "bank" some of the more rare plant pickups just in case they don't like their new environment once purchased. Nothing worse than watching an expensive new addition melt away, fade or blanch under too intense lighting. The bank can be something as simple as a deli cup with spaghnum moss to start new clippings before putting something new into a permanent viv. I think most plant keepers have something like this in place just to protect some of the more sensitive plant species.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:53 PM
Mod

Default Re: Does anybody here keep a "plant bank"?

I keep a large grow tent in my frogroom, the kind generally used for propagating California "houseplants", but instead I keep it stocked with my terrarium foliage/orchids/moss etc. I know many froggers that dedicate a 20-40g aquarium as a holding tank for plants that have yet to find a home.