Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HaydenT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 04:57 AM

Default green house build

Hey guys i'm researching a greenhouse to grow some orchids, bromeliads, and other vivarium plants in. I live in southern California (about an hour north of Andy's orchids). The area I want to put it in has a wall on the south side directly touching the greenhouse, there will also be structures on the east and west (about 2 meters away on each side), the North side is completely open, is this a good area? This is the model i'm planning to use (Palram HG5508PH Hybrid Hobby Greenhouse, 6' x 8', Silver). I want the humidity to be around 85%, what's the best way to provide that? Is there anyway I could have a system to water the plants for me (like a sprinkler) or do I have to manually water them. There will also be a fan for air movement. I need help, I don't get it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 05:52 AM

You’re facing north if your back is against the wall then?

That’s not the greatest, but you’ll be able to figure out what you can and cannot grow. You can figure out a couple cheap sprinkler or mister options. Use a humidistat wired to a sprinkler solenoid. Use a sprinkler timer to a sprinkler solenoid.

Get a fogger on a humidistat.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:36 PM

Default Re: green house build

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPfarr View Post
Youíre facing north if your back is against the wall then?

Thatís not the greatest, but youíll be able to figure out what you can and cannot grow. You can figure out a couple cheap sprinkler or mister options. Use a humidistat wired to a sprinkler solenoid. Use a sprinkler timer to a sprinkler solenoid.

Get a fogger on a humidistat.
I've also heard that north facing greenhouse aren't ideal, this area though is the most open of all of my options. For sprinklers I was thinking a mistking, would you have any other options you could recommend? I plan to have it go off once per day and have a humidifier connected to a humidistat to keep it at around 80%-90% humidity.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:15 AM

If you’re using municipal water, I’d buy something a little less expensive because they’re going to get salt build up. As in a patio misting type setup.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:44 AM

When I was in college I worked at a local orchid greenhouse and found that as long as the plants are not shaded most of the day they will grow. Most orchids do not do well in full sun and we had to use shade cloth heavily on most of the greenhouses. As for the watering you can setup an automatic system but most of the time you can water every couple of days and they will stay wet enough.
Kinstrome likes this.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenT View Post
When I was in college I worked at a local orchid greenhouse and found that as long as the plants are not shaded most of the day they will grow. Most orchids do not do well in full sun and we had to use shade cloth heavily on most of the greenhouses. As for the watering you can setup an automatic system but most of the time you can water every couple of days and they will stay wet enough.
A lot of inspiration for this build is from visiting Andy's orchids to pick up a small specimen of Bulbophyllum lasiochilum for my dart frog viv. There I saw the potential to keep tropical species in a residential neighborhood in southern California. As for watering I do plan for it to be automated, since i'm to lazy to get up every day and water plants . That job sounds really cool, I hope in high school/college I can get a job working with tropical plants/amphibians and reptiles.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:06 PM

It was really interesting to work there and I learned a lot about different species of orchids and other tropical plants. I would suggest that if you are going to set up an automated system then you should stick with orchids that need the same amount of water. So either all terrestrial or arboreal so you don't over water because they all require different amounts.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenT View Post
It was really interesting to work there and I learned a lot about different species of orchids and other tropical plants. I would suggest that if you are going to set up an automated system then you should stick with orchids that need the same amount of water. So either all terrestrial or arboreal so you don't over water because they all require different amounts.
I think I get what your saying, for example can I keep a mounted plant and a potted hanging plant together, or no?

Tags
bromeliad, green house, humidity, orchid, plants