No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kimcmich
  • 2 Post By kimcmich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2019, 10:34 PM

Default Drosera Spatulata

I purchased some bladderwarts (uticularia bisquamata) for a thin 2 inch bog section at the front of a tank I'm doing and included in my potted uticularia were a few tiny 1-2 inch Drosera Spatulata. I've read posts here on this but they were inconclusive and 10+ years old. Has anybody here had any experience with keeping these tiny sundews with thumbnails? This species stays absolutely tiny, but to be fair, froglets are also very tiny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Drosera Spatulata

Greetings,

Drosera are not going to be much of a danger to frogs/froglets - but they also prefer full sun so most vivs are not going to be bright enough for them to survive long term. Utricularia are a little more tolerant of shade but they also prefer direct sun to grow their best.

In the case of Drosera, I would more concerned about the frogs harming the plants, by trampling, than vice versa.
Llama likes this.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcmich View Post
Greetings,

Drosera are not going to be much of a danger to frogs/froglets - but they also prefer full sun so most vivs are not going to be bright enough for them to survive long term. Utricularia are a little more tolerant of shade but they also prefer direct sun to grow their best.

In the case of Drosera, I would more concerned about the frogs harming the plants, by trampling, than vice versa.
Don't most Drosera require a dormancy period? I would think that would be tough to achieve in a vivarium.

Also wouldn't the "dew" on the leaves be an irritant to the frogs? The "dew" is a digestive enzyme is it not?

Old 03-21-2019, 09:41 PM

Greetings,

Many/most of Drosera do require a dormancy but some species like D. spatulata and D. capensis, do not.

The dew on sundews is mainly an adhesive agent. Once the leaves detect caught food items they fold inward and begin secrete digestive enzymes so merely coming into contact with the dew should not be a problem for frogs. I would not keep a frog in a tank paved with Drosera but the occasional contact between frog and sundew is likely more of a problem for the sundew than for the frog.
varanoid and Llama like this.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcmich View Post
Greetings,

Many/most of Drosera do require a dormancy but some species like D. spatulata and D. capensis, do not.

The dew on sundews is mainly an adhesive agent. Once the leaves detect caught food items they fold inward and begin secrete digestive enzymes so merely coming into contact with the dew should not be a problem for frogs. I would not keep a frog in a tank paved with Drosera but the occasional contact between frog and sundew is likely more of a problem for the sundew than for the frog.
Thank you for the clarification.