Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2019, 08:15 PM

Default Plant Processing/Quarantine Suggestions

Good Afternoon,

I have a quick question regarding plant processing. If I use the bleach method, is it good practice to still leave the plant in quarantine for a few weeks? Or is the purpose of the bleach to allow quicker incorporation of plants into the vivarium?

I have yet to use bleach on anything - I've been rinsing off and repotting all new plants and then keeping them in quarantine for about a month before planting. But I did have some pest problems a couple months back, so I am looking to improve my protocol. It would be nice to be able to cut down on time in quarantine though.

Also as a more specific question - can I use the bleach method on Fittonias, or will that kill them? Their leaves don't strike me as though they'd be resilient to a bleach solution, but maybe they're tougher than they look.

Thanks

Connor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Plant Processing/Quarantine Suggestions

I've bleached pink Fittonia cuttings with no ill effects.

I don't know about the quarantine idea -- I suppose you may catch something crawling around/eating leaves, but my couple of trouble vivs didn't show any pests until a handful of months in.

In one viv of mine that has snails or slugs (though I never saw one, and CO2 doesn't kill them), only two of the plants get affected (and those two got demolished), but I don't know that the pests even came in on one of those plants; a pest may not be noticeable until it finds its preferred host plant.

My other troublesome viv has proboscis worms, and those I only see when I feed FFs -- so if you had predatory worms in quarantine with no FFs, you wouldn't see the worms. I did catch a few and tested bleach dips: the solution I sanitize other reptiles' bowls in (2 tsp/gal) had no effect after tens of minutes, while a 10% solution killed them after a few seconds.

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 03-17-2019 at 08:56 PM.