Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 03:05 AM
TWI/ASN

Default half aquatic plant needed

I'm looking for a plant that would suit my needs here. I have a waterfall in my viv and the top of it has a small pool. About 2"X2"X1" deep. I would like to put something in there. What kind of plant would survive with the roots growing in water, but the leaves exposed to air. It also has to stay under 6" tall if possible because it will hit the top of the viv. Any help will be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 04:56 AM

Default Re: half aquatic plant needed

Anubias nana petite?
Is the humidity (around the actual leaves) very high? Anubias would want a lot of humidity around the leaves if only the roots are in the water.
Pretty neat little plant, I have quite a bit of it
Old 08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
TWI/ASN

I would guess humidity would be pretty high there as it's near the light and right on top of the water and the glass is totally covering the screen back there. Thanks for the suggestion. Should I look for one that hasn't been completely submerged before I buy it?

EDIT: If I remember correctly (I worked at a fish store for 3 years), don't anubuis species usually like low light? I can't remember if it's because in an aquarium it tends to grow algae since it keeps it's leaves very long. Can it be kept in very high light areas emerged?

Old 08-03-2008, 02:42 PM
TWI/ASN

Also, could you suggest any plants that could grow on a piece of malaysian driftwood that is constantly wet? I have it touching the water feature and it's soaked all the time (although not like water running down it), it's just completely saturated. I kind of want to put some plants on it.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:21 PM

I have two pieces growing well with just roots under water right now, had them that way for a few months. When you get some their original leaves will most likely get funky with the change but the new leaves (remember though, anubius grows slowly) will be fine with it.

How hot is the area you want them for? With them out of water it'll most likely be the heat of the lights that could bother it. What type of light are you using?
But yeah, mostly it's a lighting issue under water because they will get algae like there's no tomorrow if their leaves get a lot of light. Burning/drying up would be more the issue when the leaves are above water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogsawaste
I would guess humidity would be pretty high there as it's near the light and right on top of the water and the glass is totally covering the screen back there. Thanks for the suggestion. Should I look for one that hasn't been completely submerged before I buy it?

EDIT: If I remember correctly (I worked at a fish store for 3 years), don't anubuis species usually like low light? I can't remember if it's because in an aquarium it tends to grow algae since it keeps it's leaves very long. Can it be kept in very high light areas emerged?
Old 08-03-2008, 04:23 PM

How about an aquatic moss? Christmas moss, or maybe some flame moss? hehe. I think most people around here use java moss though. You could also try a bit of riccia and see how that does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogsawaste
Also, could you suggest any plants that could grow on a piece of malaysian driftwood that is constantly wet? I have it touching the water feature and it's soaked all the time (although not like water running down it), it's just completely saturated. I kind of want to put some plants on it.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 AM
TWI/ASN

Thanks for the info. Heat is about 78* where I would want it. I'm however going tomorrow to get something to lift the lights off the tank some more. Hopefully drop it 1-2* up there. I'm using 2 exo terra 5.0 bulbs right now.

About the wood, I have some java on it now but I'm concerned that it's too wet and won't transform. I'll give it some time and see what happens. You wouldn't happen to have any transformed java you would want to part with would ya?
Old 08-04-2008, 02:28 AM

Hey that kind of plant...roots in the water and leaves exposed ...is called a marginal...just so you don't have to type it all out next time

1.0.0 Theloderma corticale
1.0.0 Agalychnis callidryas
Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphiman
Hey that kind of plant...roots in the water and leaves exposed ...is called a marginal...just so you don't have to type it all out next time
Good, I've heard that before but when I went to type it I totally forgot (and still forgot till this day). Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 PM

Yep you're welcome....I never knew what they were called until I decided to get a vietnamese mossy...then I had to know haha.

1.0.0 Theloderma corticale
1.0.0 Agalychnis callidryas