Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Plants (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/plants/)
-   -   Plants that grow with roots in water (other than pathos) (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/plants/24955-plants-grow-roots-water-other-than-pathos.html)

skronkykong 11-28-2007 09:46 PM

Plants that grow with roots in water (other than pathos)

Or arrowhead vine too. I've tried anubias but I don't think my viv is humid enough because the leaves die off once they grow out of the water. Any suggestions?

dom 11-29-2007 06:09 AM

whats your humidity at.. i have some anubias that grows crazy in my viv.. i even found one in the soil no bigger than a fruit fly and i put it inbetween some rocks and its has a few leaves off it now..try getting your humidity up.

do you have any vents or air flow in the tank?

Dendrobait 11-29-2007 06:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Spathiphyllum

skronkykong 11-29-2007 06:34 AM

I have vents in the tank and a computer fan. The sides fog up quickly if I don't have the fan on. I just assume the humidity is too low because the anubias doesn't grow well out of water. The seem ok with it. They are azureus and stay out in the open all the time.

I never thought about Spathiphyllum. It may get too big though. Are there dwarf varieties?

dom 11-29-2007 06:46 AM

maybe you could close a vent i dont have any vent or fans on mine so my humidity its 99% 24/7

skronkykong 11-29-2007 07:06 AM

I need the airflow for my orchids and I like being able to see in the tank. As long as the frogs seem healthy I'm not too worried about the humidity.

dom 11-29-2007 04:34 PM

i see i see well best of luck finding something that works for you !!

MattySF 11-29-2007 05:02 PM

Javafern

skronkykong 11-29-2007 08:44 PM

I have java fern! It doesn't like to grow out either but its gotten much wider. I guess my case is hopeless. I'll just use stupid pothos. Thanks for replying though!

Smashtoad 11-29-2007 09:49 PM

I have a Scindapsus pictus in sphagnum, gravel and water and it seems to be doing well, and pellonia rooting in sphagnum like a champ...just like harrywhitmore said it would...

Corpus Callosum 11-30-2007 09:58 PM

Rumex sanguineus

Khamul 12-02-2007 05:42 AM

I doubt humidity is the problem with your anubias. I grow anubias in 2 inches of water in an open aquarium next to a window. Its in bud right now.

Possibly, its not getting enought light, or too much. Or you buried the stolon (thick stem with roots) which they do not like.

As for other suggestions, Echinodorous, Syngonium, Cryptocorynes. And there are many types of each kind.

skronkykong 12-02-2007 06:16 AM

Oh, woops. I DID bury all the roots! Damn. All this time...damn! I shouldn't have gotten rid of it then! I had taken it out of the gravel to get ready to ship it and left it floating freely for about a week and it did seem to be growing much better. And the leaves sticking out of the water looked fine. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for lettin' me know.

andrew__ 12-06-2007 01:45 AM

I second cryptocorynes. I've just started growing some wendtii and walkeri 'lutea' emersed at only 70% humidity and no misting and they're both doing great.

skronkykong 12-06-2007 05:02 AM

Actually I think I'm already growing crypts. I got them as cuttings and put them in the substrate and they've been growing well. I thought they looked like water plants but the leaves were fairly stiff so I went ahead and put them directly in the soil. Maybe I'll get some more for the water section.

eLisborg 12-07-2007 02:40 AM

my creeping fig does, java moss, baby tear moss.