Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Plants
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2007, 11:23 PM

Default do these plants need special light

hi, i just order my self some java moss and Riccia Fluitans. which will be going in my set up way befor i get any darts. Do the plants need any special lights to grow or just normal fish tank bulbs? and also if possible could you give me info on the best way to plant/root the moss and on what substrate.

the first setup will be a 18 x18 x24 Glass Exo Terra Tank complete with realistic background

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 03:16 AM

Both of those mosses actually need quiet a bit of light to flourish. I have that same exact tank and have about 52 watts of light. My moss seems to be spreading just fine. You should aim for 1.5 to 2.5 watts of light per gallon.

0.0.3 D. Auratus 'Blue and Black'
0.0.2 D. Azureus
0.0.1 D. Intermedius

http://www.myspace.com/jencylivez
Old 10-15-2007, 04:32 AM

Both Ricca and Java can be grown and increased in straight water with some sunlight or strong lighting. The Java will grow on very damp substrates or on waterfalls and other water features. Just drape it over wherever you want it, as long as the substrate or bark, whatever you are using is constantly damp. In my experience, Ricca is a bit more aquatic, but I agree, that both like rather strong light to prosper. Both will grow in aquariums as well as on wet land portions. Neither will tolerate any drying out. Java is useful for so many things, it's worth keeping around in an aquarium set up, just so it's available for new projects. I put pieces of it in my tadpole raising containers, where it provides both shelter and helps keep the water fresh, as well as harboring the algae they eat. It grows on the substrate of a lot of my vivariums, and even though it is not like a sheet moss golf course and often needs trimming back, it is a safe harbor for the frogs, and relatively immune to the larger ones trampling it down. From a very small bit of Ricca on a tiny lava rock, my newest paludarium, which is 180 gallons with half fish aquarium and and half terrestrial dart frogs, is colonizing the tree fern drip wall, floating around the tank in pieces, where I harvest it and put it in the damper land areas. I'm not sure yet how far away from an aquatic situation Ricca will flourish, but I do know the Java does.

The Java moss also makes a nice filter agent if you are circulating water across rocks or drip walls for various water features. If it gets too prosperous, or grows where you don't want it, it's easy to remove without disturbing anything else.

Advice is like kissing: it costs nothing and it's a pleasant thing to do. (George Bernard Shaw)

Old 10-15-2007, 06:35 AM

ok i will setup up the light tonight i should get the moss in a couple of days, whats the best substrate for the moss? also could i have some picture of yours so i know what the moss will look like once it starts to grow. also does the moss spread? like will it make a carpet on the bottom of the viv, or will it just grow where i plant it?