Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Little Frog Farm's Frog Friendly Pages

Little Frog Farmís Frog Friendly Pages.

Hey Rob,

Thanks for adding the Frog Friendly pages to you site. Out of what you currently have, what non jewel orchids, would you think have the best chances of surviving in the average frog viv (low light, low air movement, high humidity, medium temps 60-80, no fertilizer except for frog poo). Iím thinking of trying a mini Cat, but donít know if it will be a good Idea or not.

The viv that Iím working on now will probably be a bit more orchid friendly than the above mentioned conditions. Iím going to add a circulation fan (internal circulation not air input or exhaust). There will also be some fresh air pumped in viv an air pump. I havenít purchased lights yet but Iím thinking about 2 48Ē T5s or 4 65Watt PCs.

Instead of keeping more species, why not do more with the species you keep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Sponsor

As a fair warning, a lot of plants in that section aren't available right now, regardless of what the online catalog says... It is show season right now and my inventory is really, really out of date.

But, to the more specific question... Mini-catts in general seem to do well in vivs if they aren't overgrown by other plants. Pothos, episcias, etc all grow much faster and can shade them out if you don't keep that kind of thing trimmed back. I'd avoid any minicatt that is red on principle. There are exceptions, but that bright red color comes mainly from a species that strongly prefers cool conditions. They grow ok but don't bloom for beans in warm temps. Your more ordinary yellow, orange, pink, etc minicatts should be more floriferous under viv conditions. I bloom them regularly in tanks.

I've tried most of the plants listed in the frog friendly section (or know people who have). They should all at least survive in relatively stagnant air, high humidity, and lowish light. Of course that isn't optimal for almost any plant, but we work with what we have. Blooming them can be more tricky, which is why I try to use orchids with interesting foliage in my tanks. Even if they don't bloom, at least they are worth looking at.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:13 PM

Thanks Rob :P

Old 03-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Khamul

Chris, I keep two Mini Catts in my orchidarium/vivarium. I keep them where they get the most light and highest airmovement. AKA, close to the top. They are all giving me new growths and rooting like crazy, straight into the background. One of them bloomed recently after I got it, but I give credit to the former owner. I'm hoping for a rebloom sometime soon. :?
In anycase, they survive, look good, and provide lots of action as far as plants can do such a thing.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:13 AM

Thanks Cesar :P