Dendroboard banner

Bringing plants from Panama

4K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  dsaundry 
#1 ·
I'm headed to panama in a few days and would like to bring back some plants for my new build. Does anyone have personal experience with this?

#2 ·
I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure it will not be easy or possible to legally do it. I assume you would need some sort of permit to collect possibly, or at least some papers when bringing it into the US to certify that it is cleaned/quarantined to prevent accidentally bringing in other pathogens.
I would suggest looking at all the natural plants, noting how they are growing and what their habitat setup is, then when you get back stateside you can buy plants and try to replicate that.
Bryan

Reactions: Dartfrogfreak
#3 ·
To bring plants back with you, you would need to have a USDA import permit listing the plants that you are expecting to import (at least the Genus). I don't remember if Panama is a CITES signatory or not, but if they are--you would not be able to bring back any CITES plants without an additional CITES permit. The USDA permit takes about 6 weeks for a carry permit, and I'm not sure about the current status--but used to limit you to a total of 12 plants for "in-hand" transport. You can also import additional plants as boxed cargo for the flight. All plants will require at a minimum a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin, and will be inspected upon arrival in the US. Panama used to be quite liberal in allowing plant collecting, but I don't know anyone that has been there to collect plants within the last 8 years to give a more "current" status. Hope this helps.

#8 ·
Lol, some people. I came looking for more info and to see if it's possible. Then I get scolded. I don't think I even hinted at bringing anything back illegally or doing anything that would get me in trouble. Obviously something I said was misinterpreted.

Anyways, looks like it's a little to late and may not be worth the trouble. Thanks for all the info.

#9 ·
Obviously you meant illegally, because the only way to illegally bring something into the states is to tell the whole world you are going to do it.

Lol, some people. I came looking for more info and to see if it's possible. Then I get scolded. I don't think I even hinted at bringing anything back illegally or doing anything that would get me in trouble. Obviously something I said was misinterpreted.

Anyways, looks like it's a little to late and may not be worth the trouble. Thanks for all the info.
idk how much time you have before you leave, but i would contact the
USDA by phone and ask all the questions you have. i've never tried to bring plants back from any of my over seas trips, but i doubt a phone call would hurt. maybe try us customs as well?

#10 · (Edited)
Ummm... He just asked how he should go about bringing plants back from a trip. There was no inference that he was trying to go under the radar, the guy just didn't know the radar is actually a magnifying glass... why are some of you so righteous and authoritative? :confused:

You gotta be prepared to show documentation and clearance to any type of cross border flora/fauna importations. US customs will want to know taxing/legal information and the USDA will want to know specifically (scientifically) what you're bringing in. That's just a spark note though!

#12 ·
Ummm... He just asked how he should go about bringing plants back from a trip. There was no inference that he was trying to go under the radar, the guy just didn't know the radar is actually a magnifying glass... why are some of you so righteous and authoritative? :confused:
Meh sadly it's quite common here. I have shied away from here because of it. It gets a bit excessive at times becomes straight up harassment.
It just comes with the site I guess and I don't think it's ever gonna change :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hayden
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.