Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Plants
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2006, 03:05 AM

Managed to snap a quick pic of another tilly in bloom before my camera crapped out. I hope its just a bad batch of batteries but I think its my cam.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2006, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartfrogfreak
Bought this today and its got a few blooms on it !
TODD
Any idea what it is? We've got something very similar here except its leaves are more uniform color.

Edit: oops...dumb question!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:47 PM

Nonstop Flower Power.
Beautiful, cheery yellow blooms on Oxalis Silver and Gold.

Old 06-18-2006, 03:19 PM

Begonia Rajah has beautiful foliage and tiny baby pink flowers as an added treat.
Yes, I need a better camera!

Old 06-18-2006, 05:22 PM

Dendrobait,
That is a Rex Begonia.

I dont know wut Hybrid it is tho.

If anyone knows please let me know.

TODD
Old 06-18-2006, 07:33 PM

Hi Todd,
I am not a photographer, so my photo is a lttle too red.You can see that in the color of the pot. But photo skills aside, this is rajah! Here is more Info and a better pic. from the American Begonia Society.

Spotlight on: Begonia rajah
by Jan Goodwin
B. rajah is a rhizomatous species with distinctive foliage. It was discovered in Malaya in 1894 by Ridley.

The rhizome is slender and creeping. Leaves are ovate, base cordate with overlapping blade bases, and approximately 10 cm. at maturity. The color is a deep mahogany on both upper and reverse surfaces (new leaves are almost red) and indented with distinctive green veins. The leaf area between the veins is raised, giving a large bubbly effect. Blossoms are pale pink, and appear in summer.

CULTURE

Humidity: B. rajah is strictly a closed container plant.

Water: It enjoys high humidity but will not tolerate wet feet. Water only when necessary.

Feeding: B. rajah responds to regular full strength foliar feeding.

Light and temperature: This species will only look its best when grown in a cool position in low light levels. If receiving too much light or heat the leaves tend to lose their rich color and become olive green.

Propagation: Propagation is by leaf stem, or wedge cutting, or by seed. Margaret Chandler of Western Australia had great success with freshly harvested seed, but there was no germination of seeds eight weeks old. Maybe this seed has a short viability.

Here is my rajah, it's the same, except for my poor photography skills.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:45 PM

I believe Todd was referring to the question asked about his Begonia which is indeed a variety of "Rex".

Those B. rajah are amazing though. Can't wait to get some... :wink:
Old 06-18-2006, 08:04 PM

Sorry, I quess I am too sensitive about my merchandise. Thanks for helping me chill! Your should have yours soon, Happy Frogging and to you Antone Happy Planting!!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:08 PM

Yes Antone is correct.

And those Rajahs look Amazing!

Any ideas wen you will have more Aleece ???

TODD
Old 06-18-2006, 10:03 PM

Hi Todd,
I have quite a few. Let me know how many you would like. Sorry I was so defensive, Aleece
Old 06-18-2006, 10:21 PM

Tis ok.

Im interested but Im holding off on the tank that I will be adding them to until late July due to an upcoming move.

THANX,

TODD
Old 06-26-2006, 10:09 PM
TWI/ASN

Latest brom from Antone to bloom.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:28 PM

Oncidium Dancer

Macodes Petola .Not real impressive flowers but I love the leaves.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Khamul

Cool.! How did you get that in your viv?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamul1of9
Cool.! How did you get that in your viv?
Through the front panel. :lol: Seriously though it was one of the orchids I got from littlefrog.He was kind enough to send me one that had blooms on it already and this one opened up the other day.I'll be updating my viv page when I have some spare time.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:31 AM

Here is one of my tiny Micro Mini Sinningia. It is Ruffled Wood Nymph.The plant is about the size of a Quarter!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:44 AM

hi all,
i have this brom blossoming now..anybody can help with id btw?
nick
i hope the links work..i have a bit of a problem attaching pics...

http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/a ... 040817.jpg
http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/a ... 040828.jpg

Old 06-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Khamul

Wow, thats gorgeous!!! Congrats.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:24 PM

Tillandsia of some sort...maybe T. stricta? If you found out the species for sure better let us know though!

Also, what is that fern growing on the left?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Khamul

By the way, gorgeous tank!!!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 06:11 AM

Got this from Cindy at Vivarium Concepts.

And its Blooming!

TODD
Old 07-03-2006, 08:27 AM

Just waiting now for my N. cf Smithii to bloom oh the wait lol
Old 07-03-2006, 10:23 AM

thank you :-)
Old 07-06-2006, 07:37 AM

Oh, this is a great thread! Congrats on all the beautiful pics, everyone. I need to get to the Plant Forum more often.

Here's my contribution--Phalaenopsis equestris, a true miniature that I think would do very well in a viv. However, it's also one of the few bulletproof ones that thrives in my harsh windowsill environment, so I don't want to relocate it. Guess I'll have to order another specimen to try in a viv...

With flash:

Without flash:

Real life colors are actually somewhere in between these two--it's much pinker than the flash pictures lead you to believe. (Maybe I need to change my white balance settings?)

1.1 -- D. pumilio "Man Creek"
Old 07-06-2006, 11:18 AM

Thatís very nice Diane. I want one!

I donít think itís a good viv candidate though. Your windowsill probably suits it better. Vivs donít have enough temp variation for Phals to bloom well, and it is a rare viv that is dry enough to prevent root rot. Also, Phal flowers tend to spot up in high humidity without adequate air movement.

Instead of keeping more species, why not do more with the species you keep?
Old 07-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Khamul

Thats amazing colors Diane! I both hate and love the flash on my camera. Without it everything looks yellow and dark. With it, the colors are better, but not true.

Hey Chris, I just ordered a Phal lobii. Do you think If I put it in my viv right under the computer fan, that would be enough to keep the spotting away. I wouldnt attach the Phal permanently to the viv, since it will probably need to be moved to a drier and cooler location to get it to flower. :roll:
Old 07-06-2006, 03:15 PM

Cesar,

P. lobii is a really cool plant. Iíd love to see someone prove me wrong about Phals in vivs but I just donít think they like this type of environment. P. lobii may not carry its flowers for long, so the spotting may not really be an issue. I canít remember, but lobii may be one of the ones which carries very few if any leaves, and does most of itís photosynthesizing with its roots. In the viv I would make sure that the roots get a chance to completely dry (no sphagnum around the roots). I recommend that you plant it so that its crown is facing slightly downward. These plants do not tolerate water in the crown. In nature they grow with the crown either facing down or at enough of an angle so that water runs away from the crown. In the local greenhouses, Phals which donít sell, end up in some back corner. Invariably these plants look like garbage. They are just not suited to stagnant conditions.

As far as proving me wrong goes, Iíd love to see pictures of Phals that have been in a viv for over a year, and still have nice looking foliage.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:58 PM

Chris, What about Oncidium? My first thought was that these would need more light than a viv could provide but then someone posts a blooming one. My Grandma has been growing a kind of Oncidium or similar with tall spikes of small purple flowers on a windowsill and while we fail miserably with most others and phals this one still blooms for her at least 2x a year and is now quite large. If only we could get the others to bloom!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Khamul

Chris, Im gonna try my bestest :lol: to keep it well ventilated, especially at night. The viv where Im gonna keep it gets a temp low of 60 and a high of 82. Hopefully that is good enough to keep it happy. This orchid probably has few leaves becuase it is decidous in nature. The seller was telling us stories about people calling up to tell him they had to throw out the plant becuase it dropped all its leaves!
So, Chris, I take the challenge simply for the challenge, and possibly to make a name for myself, and my Phal WILL see you next year :lol: :wink: , hopefully. ops:
Old 07-06-2006, 05:34 PM

Yea Dendrobait, I would think they would want more light. Iím no expert though. I have had good luck with Phals but that is about it. I have two Paphs that Iím working with but one is a baby and the other is recovering from someone elseís mistreatment.

For vivariums I use Jewls and Vanilla. Despite its reputation for being aggressive, Vanilla seems to grow nice and slowly under typical vivarium lighting. I also have a Pleurothallis rowleei from John Werner. That one is doing well, but initially it was staying too wet. It started to lose itís leaves, but now that Iíve given it drier conditions it has grown a bunch of new leaves. I would also like to try Epi. Joseph Lii- from Custom Ecos.

I like the way Andyís Orchids lists the lighting temperature and moisture requirements for their orchids. This should help us to get some more viv friendly orchids into the hobby.

Cesar,

I look forward to seeing it. Good luck :P .

Old 07-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Khamul

Chris, its because of Andy's listings that I got myself a Haraella odorata, Cischwenfia pusillia, Masdevallia rolfiana (I accidentaly nearly killed it after leaving it high and dry for three days), and Angraecum didieri. They have all been with me since November, except the Ang. which has been with me since APril. All except the Masdie I just nearly killed, are doing great, new growths, flowers, and or roots.
I also ordered a Pluerothalis tribuloides along with the Phal lobii. Hope to see that one blooming!

From my limited research into orchid and the conditions they like, Epi's don't seem to be good viv plants, on the other hand, I have seen people who do well with them in vivs! At least I think I have.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassypeak
As far as proving me wrong goes, Iíd love to see pictures of Phals that have been in a viv for over a year, and still have nice looking foliage.
Your wish is my command. My son has a pumilio tank he put together in February of '05. It is in a 20g "extra high" tank (24" high), beautiful dimensions I think. Anyway, he used a blooming white phal bought at a local Wal-Mart type discount store (Meijer, for those who know the chain). I assume it is some hybrid. At the time I warned him that it might not do well over the long haul for all the reasons you listed, advised him not to directly mist the flowers, etc. Well, it hung in there--the blooms persisted as well as they do anywhere else. Then it sent out lots of aerial roots, then developed a keiki on the blooming stem. This year it bloomed again from the same stem, apparently from the same node that produced the keiki, tho it doesn't seem to be the keiki itself blooming. Anyway, the foliage looks great to me, and I am fascinated at how it sent its keiki out right into the empty center light pocket of the viv, where it seems very happy in mid-air. It certainly doesn't grow the same way my windowsill phals do, or most greenhouse ones, but it looks nice and happy. Go figure!

Here's a picture from 2/13/05 when the tank was first assembled. It's a simple tank, no fans or automatic misters, with a pretty bright light on top sitting on a saran-wrap covered screen top. I think part of the secret of my son's success is the nice temp gradient that develops in this tank--the pums love it, too.

Here it is today, 7/6/06:

A closer look (the black spot on one of the lower leaves is frog poop). I think you can tell that the phal keiki is right in the center (with this year's blooming spike still sticking up from it). If you follow the original blooming stalk down you see the original leaves. If you look closely, you can also see that another node is sprouting out between the two (as always, these pics look much better if you click to enlarge them):

The pum viv next to a 10g vert (g-l lamasi) for size comparison (unfortunately these tanks get crammed together on my computer table when they come home for the summer--doesn't really show them off to best adavantage). (You can also see that the only part of the front glass that was cleaned off for these pics was the part in front of the phal! ):

In the lamasi tank my son is having at least vegetative success with a miniature we picked up at last year's NW frogfest from Black Jungle. Unfortunately my records are a little confused, but I believe it is a Maxillaria uncata..:

Note: my son's tanks have spent most of their time in a pretty warm dorm room, including throughout the season I think most phals need a colder spell to spike...The fact that my equestris blooms sporadically and not just in the late winter/early spring, like the standard phals, is one of the things that led me to want to try it in a viv. The other reason is its size. One thing about my son's phal--those blooming stalks are long! This year we weren't sure the new one was going to stop before it hit the lid. It did but just barely. He has a pic of this year's blooming and I'll try to post it when he gets on his computer and can give it to me.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:07 AM
Khamul

Diane, thats great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what do you mean by temperature gradient? That the temps change between night and day, or that the temps are different at different hieghts in the viv itself?
Thanks for posting!!!!!
Old 07-07-2006, 06:45 AM

Cesar,

I am so glad you asked that because it caused us to finally get around to measuring something that we had just been "assuming" so far.

I meant a top to bottom temperature gradient. Tonight we took the thermometer that usually hangs in the top corner of the tank (and has been virtually ignored after the first month or so the tank was set up) and put it in the middle bottom of the tank. First, of course, we read the top temperature, which was 84ļ F. About 20 minutes later we read the bottom of the tank temperature and it was 76ļ! Even more of a gradient than I would have thought!

For the summer the tank is in my dining/computer room, which is also the room with the window air conditioner and thus the coolest room in the house. I suspect that in the aforementioned dorm room the gradient is less extreme as they seem to leave the heat on pretty high there.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the tank is always significantly warmer at the top--the light fixture is a Coralife Freshwater Aqualight, which has a 65 watt, 6700K compact fluorescent lamp. As you maybe can see, the broms like it up near the top. The phal seems to like the middle, and the bottom has some Selaginella, a jewel orchid, a philodendron--and also a brom.

The pumilio are regularly up and down. The dark rectangular object in the lower right hand corner is a piece of tree fern panel from a springtail culture, which they soon learn to haunt. Otherwise they like to hunt at all levels. I especially like to see them on the big piece of cork bark to the left, which looks like a tree trunk in the viv.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:22 PM

Thatís great Diane! I doubt that it is the normal fate of the typical viv Phal, but nun the less you have inserted my foot into my mouth for me :lol: .

Maybe I will try a P. stuartiana or P. violacea in my leuc viv.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:29 PM

Now for whatís blooming, or should I say, still blooming. The youngest bloom on this plant has been open for three months!

Old 07-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Khamul

OMG Chris, that looks amazingly cool! Congrats!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:57 AM

Pleurothallis brighamii. Bloomed in the viv!

Got it from Littlefrogfarm.com
Old 07-08-2006, 01:58 AM

Very cool, Chris and Antone!

Chris, you know I wasn't trying to make you look wrong, right? I agree with all your reasons why Phals should do poorly in vivs. Personally, I've killed a couple of miniature orchids in my own tank--too wet and still, I'm sure.

I love how persistent phal flowers are. I had one in bloom (same inflorescence) for 7 months one year. Love the stem geometry that shows between the blooms on yours.

Can you tell me more about vanilla in vivs? (Or point me to a thread?) I picture vanilla as a pretty humungous vining thing...

Old 07-09-2006, 01:29 AM

Restrepia trichoglossa

This thing was next to impossible to photograph. The camera had fun trying to find something to focus on.