Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Phyllobates (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/phyllobates/)
-   -   P. Terribilis adult size? (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/phyllobates/93375-p-terribilis-adult-size.html)

qtrhorse89 03-08-2013 10:27 PM

P. Terribilis adult size?

I thought P. Terribilis were the largest of the dart frogs? When I went to pick up my trio of mint juvies from the breeder I noticed that there were tincs that were much larger than the adult parents of my trio. The Terribs were fatter and more rotund but the tincs were still bigger length and height wise. So what gives? Thanks for the help.

oddlot 03-09-2013 02:44 AM

Re: P. Terribilis adult size?

What Morph?Female mints are very large,with males being a little smaller.Yellows aren't as big,but still respectable.

oddlot 03-09-2013 02:46 AM

I just realized you wrote mint juvies.They take up to 2 years to mature and fill out as they get older.

Peter Keane 03-09-2013 03:40 AM

My Citronella, Giant Orange/Regina tincs are larger, trivittatus are also larger, but Terribs, to me, are THE most impressive dart frog in size and musculature. You can even see veins in an adult! Supposedly, there is a new green & black morph of auratus that is rumored at over 3"!

Peter Keane
JungleWorld

jdooley195 03-09-2013 05:13 AM

Girth-wise, they're the largest I've seen, but not as far as length goes, my yellowbacks are easily longer.

qtrhorse89 03-12-2013 05:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yeah that makes sense. For some reason I just assumed they would be bigger period but the adults were definitely heavier and more rotund than the tincs. They are my favorite so far. Much more active than the Brazillian Yellow Heads. They are still a little shy but I figure they'll get bolder as they age. My only problem is I can't tell them apart lol. It's nice to be able to ID all three once in a while but its hard to tell if I see all three during the day or if I'm just seeing the same one over and over.

Robert.hallam 04-06-2013 04:56 AM

There are some truely massive tincs out there, ive seen plenty of golf ball size ones, but by the time your terribilis are adults im sure theyll be quite an impressive size

Phyllobates azureus 04-13-2013 01:50 AM

In terms of length then the largest dart is Ameerega trivittata, which gets 7 cm if raised right. P. terribilis is probably the heaviest, though.

pafrogguy 06-07-2013 05:05 PM

La Fumee tincs are much larger than terribilis. Some matechos get almost that big as well, but I have seen La Fumees that had huge legs on them like a terribilis. And they are a good deal longer as well.

tODDski 06-07-2013 05:42 PM

My Mints are huge, and like some said, they're very vascular and robust. I've noticed when that in colonies the lesser males will be smaller, and females intimidate the other females to death. After 3+ years these frogs get pretty mean outside of breeding pairs. Juveniles just need to be fed, fed, fed and soon enough the best or more aggressive specimens will push the others out at maturity. I've never been able to get groups to live together for more than a 2 years as adults. By the time I pulled my last distressed Mint out, he looked like a juvenile compared to the others. FTR, he's in his own tank, and getting back his size.

My Female calls that is 10 years old. Shes huge! If the males call around her, she jumps on them, shuts them up, and finally pushes them out. I've been keeping Mints for 18 years, and that was a behavior that took me years to figure out what was happening. She'll accept juveniles, but when they reach maturity, they gotta go. Her current mate could care less who lives in there. I have recently added a pair of Gold Dust Day Geckos to the tank for added life.

Yuley 10-10-2013 08:08 AM

Its like comparing a lab with a British bulldog :D

PumilioTurkey 10-19-2013 09:19 AM

Terribilis are the bodybuilders of the frog world, so more vascularity and muscles are more important than length :D

ajimenez 09-18-2016 12:02 AM

I've seen some rather beefy mints, but I've also seen some rather "tall" and lengthy tinc. I would assume genetics play a big roll.

DWF 09-22-2016 08:42 PM

Mine don't grow at the same rate. I have one batch 10 months old. 2 are allot smaller than the others.

Jarhead_2016 09-22-2016 08:53 PM

My mints were about the size of my full grown cobalts after 2.5 years.

Dothraki 09-23-2016 04:05 AM

Just picked up 10 mints fresh out of the water from of friend. I'm ashamed that I've been keeping darts for so long and these are my first Terribilis. Can't wait to watch them grow and see the change in color.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Dcairelli 02-17-2017 06:34 PM

I just got my first group of PTM's. I'm curious how their growth is effected and if their health is effected by over feeding?

melbel 02-17-2017 07:14 PM

My yellow terribilis are about the same size as my cobalts. The terribilis have a lot more girth to them though.