No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Snakeman925
  • 1 Post By Snakeman925

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2018, 05:17 PM

Default New vittatus

After a bit of searching I found some vittatus for my viv and they came in today! They bolted for cover when they got here but hopefully with time theyíll become more visible.
Jeremiah and Encyclia like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2018, 07:31 PM

Default Re: New vittatus

Iíve been consistently seeing most if not all every day, especially when feeding! They seem to be doing ok and loving the heavy leaf litter.
Jeremiah likes this.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:55 PM

Very nice. I like them. Hope they do well.

Jim

Old 09-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Mod

Congrats on the frogs. Vittatus are very underrated in my opinion. They will probably become more bold as the tank grows in a bit and they have some more cover overhead.

I would keep an eye on those cryptanthus though, they probably won't do too well in that location and might rot.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:34 PM

Greetings,

You don't have a false bottom and your substrate touches your water feature. This means the substrate will absorb water from your water feature until it is saturated. In effect then, keeping your water feature "full" will require soaking your entire substrate. Few plants prefer a constantly water-logged medium, and Cryptanthus are not among them. You could help by reducing the amount of sphagnum in your substrate. It holds too much water to be a good substrate material for misted vivaria.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Very nice. I like them. Hope they do well.

Jim

Thank you! Theyíre doing great; They all have a personality and itís interesting to see how different they can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carola1155 View Post
Congrats on the frogs. Vittatus are very underrated in my opinion. They will probably become more bold as the tank grows in a bit and they have some more cover overhead.

I would keep an eye on those cryptanthus though, they probably won't do too well in that location and might rot.

They have definitely become more bold even in the couple months Iíve had them. Especially at feeding time, I usually try to keep a schedule for all the different animal feedings and they have picked up on theirs pretty quick! Thank you for the advice on the Cryptanthus, that area is a bit lower in elevation but they still have a three inch drainage layer below them and a good 4 inches of loamy soil. Although one is one the way out, it flowered a month ago and is now pupping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcmich View Post
Greetings,

You don't have a false bottom and your substrate touches your water feature. This means the substrate will absorb water from your water feature until it is saturated. In effect then, keeping your water feature "full" will require soaking your entire substrate. Few plants prefer a constantly water-logged medium, and Cryptanthus are not among them. You could help by reducing the amount of sphagnum in your substrate. It holds too much water to be a good substrate material for misted vivaria.

I should have posted better profile pictures but there is a 3 inch drainage layer. That corner is just slipped down to it with the mesh being blocked by rocks and moss to make it easier to empty the excess water. That area is also the only part with a significant amount of sphagnum, the rest is a homemade ABG mixture. But thank you for the Cryptanthus advice, Iím watching it for any signs of root rot!