Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By TarantulaGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2016, 04:45 AM

Default Aurotaenia - my dream first frog - except...

I'm totally in love with dart frogs and totally a newbie. ;D I don't have any yet and am trying to avoid major mistakes as I choose my first frog and get them set up so I really appreciate all of the info and advice here!

If I enjoy my first frog I know I'll want more, so I want to do this right. I'm willing to work hard to be successful, and enjoy a challenge, but at the same time I don't want to take on more than I can actually handle.

I really want my first frog to be bold, beautiful, and have a lovely, audible call. I like frogs with a lot of black on the body and a bold, bright pattern on the back and with contrasting color legs. I've done a lot of research, and so far phyllobates aurotaenia seems to be perfect.

However, I also want to breed them, and am worried aurotaenia might be too hard for a beginner like me.

Is keeping the humidity very high the biggest challenge when it comes to successfully breeding aurotaenia? I'm doing research and that seems like the main issue, but I'm not sure if I've missed something.

Any advice or links to info would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Aurotaenia - my dream first frog - except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTown View Post

I really want my first frog to be bold, beautiful, and have a lovely, audible call. I like frogs with a lot of black on the body and a bold, bright pattern on the back and with contrasting color legs. I've done a lot of research, and so far phyllobates aurotaenia seems to be perfect.

However, I also want to breed them, and am worried aurotaenia might be too hard for a beginner like me.

Is keeping the humidity very high the biggest challenge when it comes to successfully breeding aurotaenia? I'm doing research and that seems like the main issue, but I'm not sure if I've missed something.

Any advice or links to info would be greatly appreciated!
They're a great frog! I have a group of I what I think is a 3.4 in a 100 gallon that I received from khoff about a year ago. He kept them for a long time and could probably offer some good advice on them. For me, they're super bold. I see them all the time, and can usually count at least 4 of my 7 easily. The call is gorgeous, I could and do listen to it all day sometimes, lol. Good feeders, and they seem relatively hardy; I've not had any health issues yet with them.

They breed quite well for me, like most darts you bump their humidity way up when you want to start a breeding season, around late October here, and within a few weeks I've got clutches of 8-12 eggs, pretty consistently for a few weeks until I dry them back out. The tadpoles I've gotten from mine have been very healthy, although they do not respond well to warm temperatures. But they all morph well and yield healthy froglets.

Overall, a great species. Good group frog, good display frog, great call, breeding is not really that challenging, and beautiful too! They're way under-rated in the hobby right now, good to see some more interest in them.