Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2006, 05:23 AM

Default sliding glass doors... gap?

Hey,

I'm considering building a rather large display tank out of plywood. For the front, I was considering the use of sliding glass doors. But I realize that it's tough to get a tight seal with this design. Previous posts have reported 1/8" gaps, for which thumbnails and fruitflies can escape through.

But I have not found a solution to this that doesn't involve running some sort of visually obtrusive weatherstripping, etc, through the middle of the display.

Has anyone come up with a good solution to this problem? is it possible to have tracks that run so tight to each other that there's virtually no gap?

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2006, 05:52 AM

It'd be cool if you could come up w/a way for the glass panel to behave like a minivan's side door. It's flush when it's closed but pops out & runs along the outside when you pull it open. Sorry, that's more of a concept than a solution-I know. :roll:
Old 02-05-2006, 06:24 AM

A piece of channel where both doors sit in the same groove. This could get a little sloppy because there isn't a defined groove for each piece of glass, but a simple pin will keep that from being an issue while they're in the "closed" position, when they're open you're there so it's not as big of a problem.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Old 02-05-2006, 09:10 PM

I used 1/4" channel, cut one of the channels off. And used 1/8" glass for doors. No gap, in fact if there is any moisture on the doors, when you slide the door open, they will stick together.