No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By carola1155
  • 1 Post By senditdonkey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 PM

Default Fan ventilation direction

I did some looking around and couldn't find a discussion on which direction people typically mount vent fans, and the pros and cons of each.

I believe the two would break down as follows, but am curious of everyone else's thoughts as well.

1. Fan blowing outside air into a viv would provide more of a "breeze", allowing for more direct evaporative cooling (assuming the outside air is more dry)

2. Fan removing air from the tank would create a more gentle air exchange, with the air replacing itself from other unsealed locations/vents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Mod

The other option is having the fan just blowing around the air inside the tank, not aiming it through the vents. That is what I have done in tanks where I used a fan.

In aquarium style tanks that don't have the bottom vent allowing for passive airflow (and clean glass) I've set up fans that blow at the front glass to keep it clean of condensation and it generates air movement in the tank. There are a couple passive vents on top of the tank but I'm not directly trying to push air through them one way or another.

Generally, you don't really want to move air in and out of the tank in large quantities because you are (most likely) going to cause pretty wild fluctuations in humidity.
Pumilo likes this.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Fan ventilation direction

I mount fans in the back top of the tank and point at the center of the front glass, only moving existing air inside tank. They are on timers and run sporadically during the day.

Tons of options, depending on what is in the tank.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:51 PM

Yeah, most people don't use the fans to pull in air from outside, but rather circulate air inside so as not to drop humidity levels, but still clear condensation.

Air circulation for plants that require it like orchids is a little different. I'm not sure of those requirements - whether it needs to be fresh air or not...
Old 04-13-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkitchen View Post
Yeah, most people don't use the fans to pull in air from outside, but rather circulate air inside so as not to drop humidity levels, but still clear condensation.

Air circulation for plants that require it like orchids is a little different. I'm not sure of those requirements - whether it needs to be fresh air or not...
I do...or have that is...the one viv that had a fan went to some friends, but I ran a low power redsea maxx fan on a timer to come on for awhile every couple hours...get air exchange but you don't over dry the viv which can be an issue with blowing air out of or into the viv...timers are your friends
Old 04-13-2013, 02:56 PM

I'm in agreement that the outside air brings the added complication of humidity balance, but there has to be some added benefit to fresh air vs stale circulation... right?

Does this fall into the category of difficult, but beneficial, or do the cons outweigh the pros here?

In my particular case, I'm working with a show case paludarium, converted aquarium, with openings only at the top (and drainage bulkheads, that do not add to the air circulation. Technically, I am bubbling fresh air in through the water, which then becomes very humid/saturated, so an in tank circulating fan is all I really need, but are there any studies that show an optimal air exchange rate that we should all be trying to achieve (whether through venting or forced air options)? IE.. 25x air exchange/day, 1x/hr, etc.

Just curious, and hoping there are some scientific types on board that may have seen something or conducted their own unofficial studies.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehrer View Post
I'm in agreement that the outside air brings the added complication of humidity balance, but there has to be some added benefit to fresh air vs stale circulation... right?

Does this fall into the category of difficult, but beneficial, or do the cons outweigh the pros here?

In my particular case, I'm working with a show case paludarium, converted aquarium, with openings only at the top (and drainage bulkheads, that do not add to the air circulation. Technically, I am bubbling fresh air in through the water, which then becomes very humid/saturated, so an in tank circulating fan is all I really need, but are there any studies that show an optimal air exchange rate that we should all be trying to achieve (whether through venting or forced air options)? IE.. 25x air exchange/day, 1x/hr, etc.

Just curious, and hoping there are some scientific types on board that may have seen something or conducted their own unofficial studies.
For me I have my fans blow in outside air just because it is simpler to setup...you don't have to worry about frog proofing/water/humidity proofing the fan/wiring. With timers and some good judgment it isn't hard to do with little worry of over drying things.

Also any fan in the viv is going to actually push air out if there is any ventilation...because it is going to increase the internal pressure of the viv, thus forcing air out whatever cracks/ventilation there is. So unless your viv is completely sealed I don't see the point of going through the trouble for minimal benefit when I can achieve good balance with timers.

In the end you'll get somewhat less humidity loss, but is it worth it? And is a sealed viv even with a fan inside really a good idea?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:02 PM

Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,295 Posts

I use passive vent strips on all my vivs, for air exchange. Some of my vivs also have internal circulation fans.