Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 04:05 AM

Arrow Minimum lighting for 25G?

Having just moved into a 1 bedroom with my SO, here's the frog area we've negotiated, enough room for a 40 breeder, 2 25Gs and a shelf for bugs and tads on the bottom.

I've used 2x 54W HO T5 bulbs in the past, but they would almost certainly be too hot with the vertical space I have to work with, and be too bright for the living room.

The 25G are 20" high so the plants will be a good 16" below the lights even if I rest the lights directly on top.

I'll be growing plants from vine and tropical collections from Josh's frogs (they look mostly like pilea and peperomia). I also have rabbit's foot ferns, wandering jew and and mounted broms I'll be putting in there.

I'd like to try 4 x 28 watt bulbs over the tanks in both shelves. Has anyone tried this with a tank as deep as a 25G? I've tried 2x28W over a (shallower than a 25G) 40BR and all the plants died other than pothos.

A Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED looks interesting -
Amazon.com: Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight, 48-Inch: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight, 48-Inch: Pet Supplies
but these LEDs seem too inexpensive to allow plants to grow. Anyone tried them?

Thoughts? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130110_220555_847.jpg (51.5 KB, 136 views)
1.1 azureus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Minimum lighting for 25G?

New question: what off-the-shelf fixture would I use for the Jungle Dawn LED units? As they don't need a reflector, it seems there would be some sory of clip-on sockey with cord I could find on Amazon.com but I can't seem to find anything that looks right - closest I've come is this photography product:
Amazon.com: Adorama AC Socket with Light Stand Adapter and Umbrella Holder: Camera & Photo Amazon.com: Adorama AC Socket with Light Stand Adapter and Umbrella Holder: Camera & Photo

I'm looking to affix them to wire shelving.
1.1 azureus
Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Minimum lighting for 25G?

Hi Erik - I'm currently using those on my Riparium to hold 2 LED lights above the tank. I'm very happy with them. I used 1/2 inch copper pipe, bent it and attached the bulb holders to the ends, then used clamps attached to the wall behind the tank. This allows the lights to be raised and lowered as needed. What's nice about bulb holder is that the joint on the bulb holder Pivots.

You could take a small section of 1/2 pipe, put the fixtures in each end and then zip tie the pipe to your rack and point the lights in the appropriate direction (horizontal to the tank depending on your ligths). Or just zip tie the fixture to your rack. Anyway, I love them and have to more for a new tank I am setting up. Cords are the right length and the options are many.

Good Luck!