Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Power Cord and Foam Backgrounds????

OK, I'm FINALLY to the point where I'm Handi-Foam(ing) my background, BUT one thing I didn't give consideration to .......... HOW & WHAT do I do with the the power supply cord for my Micro-Jet pump? BTW, the cord is HONK'N huge. I've never seen a cord this thick before on a "mini" type submersible pump.

I don't think I'd want to "foam" it into or behind the foam, I'd never be able to remove it if it had a problem??
Do I cut a "groove" into the foam once it sets up to push the cord into the grove, then try and hide it with maybe some piece ofdriftwood???
Has anyone ever siliconed the cord and applied coco substrate to it to help hide it??

All ideas are welcomed. Pictures would be great, too!

HELP!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2006, 01:37 PM

I just put mine behind the foam. Once I had to take one out after the foam step, all I did was cut it out with a knife, being carefull not to cut the cord, I just cut the foam along the cord and pulled out, then shoved it back in when I solved the problem.

Frank

www.socal-rc.com
Old 01-04-2006, 02:34 PM

I use a piece of conduit just large enough to pull the entire pump through so I can clean it. I place the conduit in one of the back corners and the spray the foam which holds it in place. Then all you need to do is make a notch on the lid of the viv to allow the cord to pass through. I have also used cork rounds that I cut vertically to section of a corner to place equipment such as pumps and heaters. This worked out pretty good but was hard to find a round that would go to the top. The conduit is the easiest but the round looks the nicest.

The cork on the left hides all the equipment and I can pull all of it out if needed.

Matt :roll:

0.0.2 Spotted G & B Auratus
0.0.1 Panamanian G & B Auratus
1.1.2 Powder Blue Tincs

Old 01-04-2006, 06:24 PM

Here's what I'd do, this is if you have a columb of foam thick enough. First cut out a wedge at the top of the foam where you're cord will be. The wedge will large enough to cover a hole that can fit the entire plug through it. Then cut a wide channel for the plug. Make it a little on the big side because you want to make removeal of the pump and cord easy. Now you can use the wedge you first cut to cover the channel for the plug.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"This hobby is about 10% what you know, and 90% experimentation." - Lon Heim (DartMan)
Old 01-04-2006, 10:13 PM

I use a vacuum cleaner extension stuck in the corner of the tank while I spray the foam, once it dries I pull the extension out and you have a nice hole there to feed everything through. I have also done what mnchartier said above with the conduit but I used a full 4" PVC pipe so that I could pull the entire pump out from the top. You can spray a PVC endcap with foam to disguise the top and keep frogs out. That works well if your tank is larger.