Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 AM

Default Sherman Ventilation

Hello,

I have come up with a new method for under door ventilation that I would like to share with you all.

The "Sherman vent" preforms the same way as the "Euro vent", it allows air to be drawn in under the doors preventing condensation. However, the Sherman vents vertical screen does not allow water to drip down through it. The "Euro"s horizontal screening seems to act as a target for funneled misting water, causing water to leak out of the tank.

It is also a more elegant design, disappearing under the doors. It does not create the dead space in the front of the tank. (You know, where the spiders and dust live.)

Photo 1.
Materials Used (Top to Bottom):
(4) scrap pieces of 1/4" glass. Used for spacers.
(2) lengths of 1/4" x 1/4" plastic L-channel. (Other one on very bottom of photo.)
(1) Piece of screen material. I use Stainless Steel.
(1) 3/4" wide length of 1/4" glass.
(6) 1" x 1" pieces of 1/4" glass.
(1) 1" wide length of 1/4" glass.

Photo 2.
I silicone two of the 1"x1" pieces of glass onto the ends of the 1" strip. I also silicone one in the CENTER of the strip. (If you do not get the middle one centered, it will show in the final product. I know.)

Photo 3.
Stack another set of 1"x1"s on top of the others. NOTE: These 1"x1" pieces are just spacers. They can be substituted for a different material or used in any thickness that your application requires.

Photo 4.
Silicone the 3/4" strip on top of the 1"x1" spacers. Notice that the top edges of the 1" strip, 1"x1" spacers and the 3/4" strip are all aligned. The small scraps of glass are also placed below the assembly, ready for the next step.

Photo 5.
Rotate the assembly 90 degrees toward you so the 3/4" strip now rests on the scrap pieces of glass. (see Photo 7.) Now is a good time to make sure that all the pieces are lined up correctly before the silicone begins to set up. I try to set the 1"x1" spacers just inside the edges of the 1" and 3/4" strips. It is also critical that the 1" and 3/4" strips are lined up. You do not want a crooked vent assembly.

Photo 6.
Cover the top surface of the assembly with silicone and lay the screen material on top of it. Be sure to work the silicone into the mesh material to ensure a good bond. You can now apply the L-channel to the edges of the assembly to protect any rough edges of the screen material.

Photo 7.
Completed vent assembly.

Photo 8.
Vent assembly installed in a tank. (This photo is of a smaller vent that only used one set of 1"x1" spacers.) The front of the tank is to the left. The assembly rests on top of the front glass. The bottom window track sits directly on top of the assembly. The screen material and the 1/4" L-channel are on the interior of the tank.

Thanks for reading!
Chris Sherman
Marty, CTM75, Darryl and 12 others like this.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Sherman For This Useful Post:
Athena (04-12-2013), Azurel (01-02-2013), CTM75 (06-16-2016), Darryl (08-23-2013), dartboard (08-15-2013), Epiphile (04-12-2013), epiphytes etc. (01-09-2013), frogfreak (04-11-2013), Gamble (01-02-2013), JeremyHuff (01-03-2013), JPccusa (04-11-2013), Pumilo (03-06-2013), Raptor22 (01-02-2013), SDRiding (03-17-2013), sports_doc (01-08-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Sherman Ventilation

Oh, here is what they look like when they are done.

Thanks again,
Chris
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sherman For This Useful Post:
Bonobo (01-08-2013), frogparty (01-02-2013), Hlabov (10-04-2014), Jeremy M (10-13-2018), Pumilo (01-02-2013), Raptor22 (01-02-2013), RyanD (06-05-2013), Yuley (05-30-2014)
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 AM

Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,295 Posts

It's beautiful, Chris! It is truly a very different vent, not just slightly rehashed version. It's simple and elegant, takes care of the drip and the constantly dirty, hard to clean, traditional Euro design, while giving you back a full 2 1/2" strip of completely wasted space.
I think it's brilliant. Best of all, it is just in time! I was about to start cutting for a few new builds and I'd love to borrow that design!

Can I point something out that I'd like to try?
A "Double Sherman" vent! A very slight modification to your design, would allow you to put one at the top of the doors, too. This would help even more with ventilation by allowing a bit of a cross breeze.
frogparty, Gamble and Ravage like this.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 AM

Pumilio,

Thank you for your kind words. I thought about this long and hard before the simple solution presented itself.

Feel free to use/adapt as you see fit. Patents are prohibitively expensive, and I really just want to do my part to elevate the collective experience.
CTM75, KC3 and Coniferous like this.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 AM

I think its an excellent and simple design, and as Pumilio points out, it does save quite a bit of space from the front of the tank. I only see a minor drawback...you lose the very direct up-flow straight across the front glass like the vertical "Euro style". Thats a small price to pay though.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 AM

Nice work, Chris.
Sherman likes this.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 AM

Very interesting design, so I hope you don't take my comments in any negative way. I just wanted to add a little bit of historical info. The original idea for the horizontal vents was to create a cross current and at the same time have a surface that the frogs couldn't push their faces against. Having vertical vents, the frogs could rub their noses against it a little more vigorously and injure themselves.
I realize yours has an overhang, but it may be important to take into account how the frogs can interact with that vent depending on substrate depth, decorations, and plantings.

Congratulations on your design.
Jeremy M likes this.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman View Post

It is also a more elegant design, disappearing under the doors. It does not create the dead space in the front of the tank. (You know, where the spiders and dust live.)
Innovative design, but I have some tiny spiders that would LOVE to get into that thin gap and set up shop!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
Innovative design, but I have some tiny spiders that would LOVE to get into that thin gap and set up shop!
Glue a second screen across the front.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I think its an excellent and simple design, and as Pumilio points out, it does save quite a bit of space from the front of the tank. I only see a minor drawback...you lose the very direct up-flow straight across the front glass like the vertical "Euro style". Thats a small price to pay though.
pdfCrazy,
Thank you. I was concerned that there would be a small amount of condensation that stayed on the bottom of the doors also. As it turns out that seems to not be the case. After misting, the glass dries evenly top to bottom within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote:
Very interesting design, so I hope you don't take my comments in any negative way. I just wanted to add a little bit of historical info. The original idea for the horizontal vents was to create a cross current and at the same time have a surface that the frogs couldn't push their faces against. Having vertical vents, the frogs could rub their noses against it a little more vigorously and injure themselves.
I realize yours has an overhang, but it may be important to take into account how the frogs can interact with that vent depending on substrate depth, decorations, and plantings.

Congratulations on your design.
Manuran,
No worries. History and others thoughts are always welcome. It is certainly worth paying attention to the nose rubbing possibility. I have not seen this, but also have not been looking.
Thank you.

Quote:
Dane,
Yes, yes.
Well think of it like this: A spider single-wide trailer is better than a whole spider trailer park. Then go buy yourself some Q-tips!

Thanks,
Chris
Judy S likes this.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 PM

Thank you very much for sharing this. It does a fantastic job of mitigating the drawbacks of a euro-style vent system.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 AM

Great design, thanks for sharing.
Jewelvivariums likes this.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 AM

Chris' "Sherman Vents" are a Design of the Year 2012 award winner if I may cast my vote now.

I am not pulling your leg either, although admittedly I know Chris and have 30 vivs with the "Sherman Vent" design in place.

They are WORLD's better then the old style you see others use.

Chris is being modest.

He makes custom VIVs and does a fantastic job!

Personally I told him to patent the design, but I hope the name alone 'sticks', even if people steal the design for themselves [hopefully not commercially, as Chris is doing this himself as "Sherman's Tanks", a small business in New England.

Chuck, I have not had any issues with the design, in fact quite the contrary, I have big issue with the Euro Vent. It leaks, it is easily punctured [Ive done this more then once] and the gap in front is unsightly, collects tons of spiders and dead FF.

With this Sherman design, the slit is vacuumed in one quick second motion, although I have actually NOT had spiders in it, unlike the Euro crap design.

I would encourage people to contact Chris and if anyone can help with web design, small business upstart tips, patents etc, I think this hard working fellow [with a full time day job] could benefit from the help. As could all of us.

I'm impressed. First real innovation Ive been impressed with in quite some time...

Well, sounds over the top, I realize...but...Ive had these in place quite some time and kept quiet about it till now
moore40, Sherman and c81kennedy like this.

Last edited by sports_doc; 01-08-2013 at 12:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sports_doc For This Useful Post:
stemcellular (01-10-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 AM

Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports_doc View Post
Chris' "Sherman Vents" are a Design of the Year 2012 award winner if I may cast my vote now.

Chuck, I have not had any issues with the design, in fact quite the contrary, I have big issue with the Euro Vent. It leaks, it is easily punctured [Ive done this more then once] and the gap in front is unsightly, collects tons of spiders and dead FF.
Hi Shawn,
I was just mentioning the original idea for the horizontal vent. And in my earlier post I mentioned that I realize there is an overhang. If I can also elaborate a little, I mentioned that the only thing to possibly consider is the height of the substrate, as well as objects (leaves, driftwood, etc) right in front of the vent. My thought was this would give them a platform to press against the vent. In Chris' photos as well as yours, the substrate seems very far from the vents and I'm sure you aren't having the problems I mentioned. I just wanted to add that to the conversation so people take that into account.

I agree it is a nice design. Good luck to Chris
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 AM

ahhh. Got it. Thanks.

So far so good at least.

AND, I am hoping I wont be killing all those great plants of yours anymore Chuck...like I did with the exoterras and fishtank vivs :-(
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 PM

Wow Shawn, you are making me blush.
Thank you for posting the photos and giving the feedback. I'm glad that you are happy with them and they are working out well.

Chuck, I also would like to thank you again for your input. The historical issues with the vertical screen were unknown to me before you mentioned them and are well worth considering when designing the interior layout.

Chris Sherman
Sherman Tanks
Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 PM

Cool stuff! I've never built a euro viv, but I also hated the idea of loosing so much depth space in the tank because of it.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 AM

Very nice. I just built my own 90 gallon euro viv. and did not use this method.. This is very nice though and I may have to experiment with it later.. Also, Shawn.. Can I come work for you? or just be a slave.. I'd love to just go foot by foot admiring that collection.. lol. Hopefully one day ill have the space to have my own collection to admire!

A few thumbs and pums never hurt anyone
Old 04-11-2013, 02:11 PM

After implementing the "Sherman Vent" (with Chris' blessing) in a few of my recent builds, I have to say...this system is leaps and bounds beyond the classic "euro" style. From aesthetics to the structural integrity of the enclosure itself, this system is hands-down the way to go when looking for the added benefits of passive air-flow in a solid & streamline package.

Chris...you killed it with this design and I am sure I am not alone when I say, THANK YOU for this contribution to the hobby!
Henry likes this.

V-Scape Terrariums
The Following User Says Thank You to randommind For This Useful Post:
tbhf (04-13-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Mod

It makes me want to build a viv so I can try your design, Sherman.

One thing I did not understand is the tiny scraps of glass. What do they do or what are they for? I don't see them in the final assembly.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPccusa View Post
One thing I did not understand is the tiny scraps of glass. What do they do or what are they for? I don't see them in the final assembly.
The scraps are spacers to hold the assembly in the right position while the silicone sets up. They lift the 3/4" piece of glass up so that the screen can be siliconed onto a flat surface and the front of the assembly will line up correctly with the front of the viv..

You could, in theory, silicone all of the glass together flat on the table, let it cure and then flip it over to glue the screen on. You would have a wobbly assembly when trying to apply the screen (and need to put in the spacers to stabilize it anyway ) I also do not think the finished product would come out as clean this way.

Chris Sherman
Sherman Tanks
Serving the New England area.
JPccusa and Henry like this.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 AM

Looks Great!!! I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of where or what track/U-channel you used for the top, bottom and sides. Thanks
-Brett
Old 04-21-2013, 04:12 AM

Hey Shawn are those 20g verts with sliding doors? That is so much more attractive than the piano hinge door, anyway you could tell me how you did it. Also I'd like to make one of these vents if it's okay with you Chris
Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx-Darts View Post
Looks Great!!! I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of where or what track/U-channel you used for the top, bottom and sides. Thanks
-Brett
Brett,
I have decided it is best to mill my own custom track these days.
"Sherman Tank Tracks" Currently available in small quantities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawntoLife View Post
I'd like to make one of these vents if it's okay with you Chris
I have no problem with people using this design, that is why I put the step-by-step tutorial online. I think everyone should be using these.
I only ask that you refer to them as "Sherman Vents". Nothing more; Nothing less.

Chris Sherman
Sherman Tanks
RobR and Soldier17 like this.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 PM

I like the "Sherman Tank Tracks" nice name lol.
Sherman likes this.

Dendrobates l Oophaga l Ranitomeya l Adelphobates l Ameerega l
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshsDragonz For This Useful Post:
diggenem (07-02-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 PM

Will do, any idea how to install the vent and sliding doors on a rimmed 20g vert?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawntoLife View Post
Will do, any idea how to install the vent and sliding doors on a rimmed 20g vert?
I have not done this, but think I have an idea. You could silicone everything on the interior of the tank, just past the trim. The bottom glass, Sherman Vent, and the track would all be just inside the original plastic trim. You give up some space this way, but it would allow you to get flat glass to work with and the trim would allow you to easily line everything up. Might look good too.
-or-
Lose the trim, all of it. Top and bottom, front and back. Clean it up with a razorblade and get something soft for the tank to sit on to protect the glass.

These are just ideas. Please think them through on your own, I have never done this and am sitting at my desk no where near an aquarium.

Chris
thedude and Pumilo like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sherman For This Useful Post:
Pumilo (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 PM

Thank you I may try the inside the rim thing just gotta make some of your vents
Old 04-23-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I have not done this, but think I have an idea. You could silicone everything on the interior of the tank, just past the trim. The bottom glass, Sherman Vent, and the track would all be just inside the original plastic trim. You give up some space this way, but it would allow you to get flat glass to work with and the trim would allow you to easily line everything up. Might look good too.
-or-
Lose the trim, all of it. Top and bottom, front and back. Clean it up with a razorblade and get something soft for the tank to sit on to protect the glass.

These are just ideas. Please think them through on your own, I have never done this and am sitting at my desk no where near an aquarium.

Chris
Bingo, Chris! This is exactly how Max and I are doing his 40 gallon breeder. We'll be doing a thread on it shortly. It will feature DUAL Sherman Vents! The second one will be just above the doors.
RobR likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
-or-

Chris
Sounds like you need to solidify this new implementation and start selling conversion kits
Dendro Dave and Sherman like this.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 PM

I am very happy to see that this design has caught on. It seems to have solved many of the problems associated with the standard "Euro Vent", and I get the feeling that people are genuinely pleased with them. I think that this design will quickly become the "normal" way to build ventilation under doors. These are now being built in all corners of the country, including right here in New England.

People have contacted me asking permission to build this style vent. I am grateful for the sentiment, but no one needs my permission to build these.

But, before my 15 minutes of fame are up, I will ask one thing:
Please donate $1.00 for every Sherman Vent that you build to the Costa Rican Amphibian Research Center (C.R.A.R.C.).
link->Costa Rican Amphibian Research Center
There is a yellow Donate button at the bottom of the page.

I will begin doing this for all tanks that I build using this ventilation method.
If you are building these commercially, please work this donation into your price and proudly advertise that portions of the proceeds will promote conservation and research.

Sincerely,
Chris Sherman

P.S. Doug, your "Double Sherman Vents" = $2.00
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 PM

Fair enough, Chris. I'm in. 5 built so far. I just donated $5. I love that they take PayPal. Makes it nice and easy.
Mindcrash, that was for your 5. I built them, so the donation should be mine.
Sherman and kitcolebay like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
Sherman (05-01-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 AM

Very respectable and admirable Chris.

Your generosity to share your idea and your encouragement to use it in a way that gives back even more(C.R.A.R.C) is top notch.

Very cool indeed!

Doug, kudos to you too for setting a fine example, as always, by making the first step!

Thanks, Chris
Sherman likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
Fair enough, Chris. I'm in. 5 built so far. I just donated $5. I love that they take PayPal. Makes it nice and easy.
Mindcrash, that was for your 5. I built them, so the donation should be mine.
Thanks Doug. I look forward to making more of these donations on my behalf in the future.
Sherman likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports_doc View Post

I am not pulling your leg either, although admittedly I know Chris and have 30 vivs with the "Sherman Vent" design in place.

They are WORLD's better then the old style you see others use.

Chris is being modest.

He makes custom VIVs and does a fantastic job!

Personally I told him to patent the design, but I hope the name alone 'sticks', even if people steal the design for themselves [hopefully not commercially, as Chris is doing this himself as "Sherman's Tanks", a small business in New England.

With this Sherman design, the slit is vacuumed in one quick second motion, although I have actually NOT had spiders in it, unlike the Euro crap design.

I would encourage people to contact Chris and if anyone can help with web design, small business upstart tips, patents etc, I think this hard working fellow [with a full time day job] could benefit from the help. As could all of us.

I'm impressed. First real innovation Ive been impressed with in quite some time...

Well, sounds over the top, I realize...but...Ive had these in place quite some time and kept quiet about it till now

BUMMER.....

I've heard through the grape vine that another Viv vendor has stolen the idea for his own profit and is now making 'his' vivs with the "Sherman" vent styles. Shame on you all that order from that vendor IMO.

Personally I give kudos to Chris for advocating the hobby's use of this innovation, but I draw the line at businesses stealing another's idea for their own profit.

Yes, I've checked the other viv business' web page and I see no mention of the "Sherman" vent, or anything about donating to conservation efforts when using said design.

Chris doesn't profit from us using his innovation, and TBH I've asked him to patent the idea/design however the US Govt makes that a cumbersome and very expensive process. Sadly discouraging people from protecting their intellectual property.

Thoughts?
kitcolebay likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:25 PM
TWI/ASN

Shawn, anyone else,

Please post the name of this other company or PM me here. This is the first I've heard of this. Wes, here in FL is using the 'Sherman design' with full permission as I understand it, so I'm thinking it's someone else.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:35 PM

Its not a vendor that has DB privileges anymore....so I'll refrain from naming.

And don't take this the wrong way guys.....but Doug and Wes are small time hobbyists building a few vivs.....

This other guy is a full time business profiting from someone else's innovation. A competitor.

For me ...its where I draw the line on 'free' usage.

S
waterbed fred likes this.

Last edited by sports_doc; 05-19-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 PM

Where do you get the 1/4"x1/4" L Channels at?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 AM

Throw it on kick starter or a similar site, get funding, and be able to fund your organization at a higher monetary value....

I don't know the requirement around kick starter, but I'd do to just see...

Very nice, I might throw a dollar in just because. ...I don't have doors
sports_doc likes this.

Tags
euro, sherman, vent, ventilation